Lindy's Hoops Preview | Syracusefan.com

Lindy's Hoops Preview

billsin01

All American
I never take preseason mags too seriously and I picked this up for some quick reading the other day. But I ended up just sort of laughing at their predictions. First, they list MCW as a "combo guard" (as an aside, I don't really understand this term to begin with since I think there are few PGs who couldn't be described as combo guards these days). I mean, he's a pretty clearly a PG, at least IMO.

Then, they list a first, second and third team all Big East -- Triche on first, but no sign of MCW or CJ Fair. Huh? They predict SU to finish second in the BE, 14th overall and don't project anyone other than Triche to garner league honors?

Other notable gaffes (IMO):

-- Anthony Collins (PG for USF) was nowhere to be seen in league honors. I may be alone in this but I think he's the primary reason they were pretty good last hard. Hard to believe he's not one of the better players in this league.

-- They list three L'ville players as first teamers -- Siva, Blackshear and Behanan. Seems like an odd prediction in the sense that Dieng is almost a lock to be a first teamer. I mean, he blocked 7 shots vs. MSU in March and had at least nine rebounds in seven games in March alone. He's a legit presence in the post defensively and he's not terrible offensively.

-- They describe G'town as a (paraphrasing) a consistent presence building to something even bigger. Really? I see them as constantly scrambling to put together a solid lineup and rarely, if ever, showing much depth. I mean, I'm sure they'll be decent but is anyone in this league scared of a Porter-Starks-Lubick-Hopkins core?

-- They had Woodall on third team, yet had pitt picked to finish third. I know Pitt adds Adams and Ziegler but it would seem to me that Woodall is the key there. I see him as a first-teamer or, at worst, a second-teamer.

Lindy's sucks. However, I can see both Triche and MCW swapping G spots throughout the course of a game making them both "combo" guys. He probably will be, but annointing MCW an All-American or All-Conference from barely any sample size is sort of crazy. I won't be surprised if he isn't. Not enough of a sample size to accurately predict, imo.

Lindy's sucks. However, I can see both Triche and MCW swapping G spots throughout the course of a game making them both "combo" guys. He probably will be, but annointing MCW an All-American or All-Conference from barely any sample size is sort of crazy. I won't be surprised if he isn't. Not enough of a sample size to accurately predict, imo.

I get what you're saying but this is a preview mag, meaning there is little to no science involved. I mean, if you're doing a college hoops magazine but aren't going to project guys who were in high school or sitting on the bench in college last year to do big things this year, then you're not going to produce a very good magazine. I would certainly think that had Noel chosen the Cuse he'd be on some pre-season all-BE lists and rightfully so.

As for the combo guard issue, I agree that MCW could play the two but that's hardly unique for a PG these days. I mean, unless you're a taller PG who simply can't shoot at all or a shorter guy like Flynn or Siva, couldn't most point guards play the two and thus be described as "combo"? I actually see it more as a knock on some guards like Triche -- a guy who's good enough to handle the ball as the 1, good enough at shooting to play a decent 2, but not really exceptional at either spot.

I agree billsin01. I just think JB will move those two around a little bit. I meant more in the sense that it's a luxury we seem to have with both of those players.

as much as it pains me to admit, I can see Siva, Behanan, Blackshear and Dieng all having 1st team All-BE type seasons. Barring injuries and a possible return to erratic play by Siva, Louisville will be absolutely frightening.

Agreed--of all the preseason mags, Lindy's is by far the worst.

as much as it pains me to admit, I can see Siva, Behanan, Blackshear and Dieng all having 1st team All-BE type seasons. Barring injuries and a possible return to erratic play by Siva, Louisville will be absolutely frightening.

I wouldn't be shocked by this either, I just thought it was crazy not to have Dieng on the first team. Blackshear I'm still not sure on and Behanan is a really nice player but I'd say my thought would be more like second or third team. But you're right -- L'ville is the clear cut favorite and they are loaded.

Yep. They are going to be a pain to deal with. Real solid. Our frontcourt has some beef now to deal with Benahan's rebounding hopefully.

Isn't it a little early for that mag to come out. Schedules aren't even finalized yet.

I agree they will be really good. But they lost Kuric their best shooter and really are not a great outside shooting team last year. Then again neither were we.

Their offense really really struggled last year to March, when Dieng and smith started showing up. Infact against Florida they had 16 more possessions and were down 7 with 6 minutes left, and then Florida fell apart at the end. I think we have the system and players to beat them.
But I agree Siva and Dieng both are really good. Don't know about these charles barkley comparisons though.

We also have the beef to beat them inside with Rak and Dajuan.

Based on certain games last year, Behanan may be one of the best natural rebounders I've seen in quite a while.

Based on certain games last year, Behanan may be one of the best natural rebounders I've seen in quite a while.
One more kind word about Louisville and I'm going ask that you be banned. ;)

Allowing for the fact I'm not old enough to have seen Chamberlain or Russell or Baylor play in college (when freshmen were not eligible), the best natural rebounder I ever saw at the college level was Derrick Coleman. He had amazing instincts from the moment he hit the court as a freshman and only got better.

Allowing for the fact I'm not old enough to have seen Chamberlain or Russell or Baylor play in college (when freshmen were not eligible), the best natural rebounder I ever saw at the college level was Derrick Coleman. He had amazing instincts from the moment he hit the court as a freshman and only got better.
Totally agree, but DC also had about 3" on Behanan and freakishly long arms

For some reason when everyone was pimping Louisville right after last season I didn't totally buy into it. But just looking at their roster; damn. That should be a good team. Front line could be frightening.