List of changes I’d love to see | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

List of changes I’d love to see

• Better Talent
  • Better Talent
  • Better Talent
  • Better Talent
  • Better Talent
  • Better Talent
Players are everything. it ain’t complicated. We need to convert a higher caliber of recruit and dare I say….pound the portal a little this off-season if we can take seven (two more) like Boeheim said in last night’s presser. It’s on him.
Talent alone isn’t the issue .. developing the talent is just as important

not with this crew
Weird….nearly every D1 team has players capable of playing this form of defense save for Syracuse who are not only uniquely unable / incapable of executing it this year .. but are unable to every single year. It’s such an incredible coincidence.. the people who think it requires some crazy level of athleticism to play man D are the same crowd that think being tall means you can rebound or that ppg tells you how good a player is

As I recall …. Coach pretty much put to rest even the thought of playing man D going forward after we lost a fake game to lemoyne playing it. Well why didn’t losing to Vermont or Colgate playing zone D bring that defensive strategy into question ?

Last edited:
T
you are assuming there is ample talent to develop.
there isn't and that's the problem...
I’m assuming nothing. Where did I say we had enough talent ? You assumed I assumed that . You assumed wrong. However I believe talent would just be wasted here anyway

We will average like 64 ppg next year and the D will be full of growing pains.

Really looking at a starting five without freshman starting (which JB already said two or three probably will)
Symir
Joe
Benny
Frank
Jesse

With frosh I can see
Joe - should be Copeland /Symir
Copeland - should be Joe
Taylor / Bunch
Benny / Maliq
Jesse / Frank /Carey
Many people claim JB is a great basketball mind...I am among them.
I look at the above starting 5...4 of 5 can run.
JB states 2 or 3 freshmen will/might start.
JB also states players aren't ready in the first year..."He can't help us..."
Point being, a great basketball mind should recognize there is no way on God's green earth
that the incoming roster for 22/23 should be playing his "vaunted" 2-3 zone primarily /exclusively.
Cole/Buddy Jimmy Sid...the speed merchants have left the building. JB has 3 guys left who can "play" his zone in Joe Symir and Jesse. JB has will also have lost his outside shooting. So WHERE do next year's points come from? I WOULD LOVE DONNA OR MIKE ASK JB!! or even Wildhack.
Run, trap, press, physicality HAVE to be present because 3 pt shooting won't.

I think that’s what we’ve been doing at the 5. And Jesse/Frank and Carey seem to fit the bill.

We need impact players. More of them. Not sure one exists amongst the current commits next year.
Agree, but according to JB it's one of his best classes. :rolleyes:

- point guard - hopefully who can dunk and shoot 3s - but essential that he can facilitate offense
- much more team speed/athleticism without sacrificing shooting
- a center who can play offense

- including all player in the offense
- limited use fof iso offense, 1 on 1 in favor of ball movement etc
- not 100% zone
- not pre-determined playing time/roles on team...
- using the bench in 2nd half
- not doing iso on final play of game
-boxing out on rebounds
-not giving up +20 wide open shots a game
- not being the team that every player has a career high / season hign against

- more passing to facilitate
- not recruiting one dimensional players
- no promising players playing time before they play

- in-game rotations based on actual performance
-no double standards for players the coach likes

Next year we will have the type of athleticism where we won't look like a very good YMCA team (from Idaho, Maine or the Dakotas) going up against a Division I NCAA team.

The problem again will be balance. We will have no reliable shooters but Joe. If we somehow could get Buddy or Cole (preferably Buddy) to stay another year, we will be a much better team.

I'll always wonder what if... and be disappointed that Boeheim wasn't able to keep last year's team together, which I believe had the right mix of shooters, penetrators, defensive and offensive athleticism to make this season a winner. Another year of Braswell, Richmond and Newton and somehow still be able to add Swider.....?

I think that’s what we’ve been doing at the 5. And Jesse/Frank and Carey seem to fit the bill.

We need impact players. More of them. Not sure one exists amongst the current commits next year.

We desperately need Mintz. That's a start. Jesse needs to be a monster next year and get more than 7 FGA/game. Joe has to keep up his improvements.

We need Benny to show out and make a soph leap. We need at least one of the current five commits to be much better than their ranking.

We probably need at least two portal forwards (am I over our limit with this?)

PG: Mintz / Sy / Q for emergency
SG: Joe / Taylor? I dunno. I thought he may RS, but he would be spot minutes.

Forward: Benny (soph leap) / TBD portal wing / TBD portal wing / maybe one of the frosh for spot mins

Center: Jesse / Frank (I would be worried about Frank staying)

JB, if he really trusts his team, can make this team work. Jesse would be pre season all conference. But we need to shore up the forward spot something fierce.

We desperately need Mintz. That's a start. Jesse needs to be a monster next year and get more than 7 FGA/game. Joe has to keep up his improvements.

We need Benny to show out and make a soph leap. We need at least one of the current five commits to be much better than their ranking.

We probably need at least two portal forwards (am I over our limit with this?)

PG: Mintz / Sy / Q for emergency
SG: Joe / Taylor? I dunno. I thought he may RS, but he would be spot minutes.

Forward: Benny (soph leap) / TBD portal wing / TBD portal wing / maybe one of the frosh for spot mins

Center: Jesse / Frank (I would be worried about Frank staying)

JB, if he really trusts his team, can make this team work. Jesse would be pre season all conference. But we need to shore up the forward spot something fierce.
I'm of the opinion Taylor is a forward. If you look at him standing next to Bunch on Saturday he was the bigger guy and his skillset screams wing. I would not be surprised if he gets time at forward. I think we are going to roll the dice and hope one of he, Bunch, or Benny can get it done. We should get a transfer forward, but I have little confidence we actually will.

I'm of the opinion Taylor is a forward. If you look at him standing next to Bunch on Saturday he was the bigger guy and his skillset screams wing. I would not be surprised if he gets time at forward. I think we are going to roll the dice and hope one of he, Bunch, or Benny can get it done. We should get a transfer forward, but I have little confidence we actually will.

Yeah, we really need a stud to transfer in, or at least someone with high upside potential.

There’s one thing JB won’t do. He doesn’t like freshmen having to learn two positions in the zone. He will,play guard or forward, but not both. Man to man would allow him to play either position.

We'll keep recruiting more developmental players, the coach will get impatient that they're not developing fast enough, call them out in press conferences. They'll transfer somewhere else and won't be that good, because they are developmental players. While we bring in more developmental players and keep the lifecycle moving.

giphy.gif

I'm of the opinion Taylor is a forward. If you look at him standing next to Bunch on Saturday he was the bigger guy and his skillset screams wing. I would not be surprised if he gets time at forward. I think we are going to roll the dice and hope one of he, Bunch, or Benny can get it done. We have to get a transfer forward, but I have little confidence we actually will.
fixed it for you

Even the development at the 5 has been inconsistent. Granted injuries played a role, but we played wayyyyy too much Marek at the 5 the prior two seasons.

Agree about the need for impact players and what's on the horizon (or lack there of).

Recruit some centers that weight 240 or more and get a real s&c coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom