Little Sunday Fun with Numbers | Syracusefan.com

Little Sunday Fun with Numbers

GoSU96

Living Legend
This is why I've been saying the corner has been turned and Marrone isn't going anywhere.

Regardless of win totals this program is playing as a team at it's highest level the late 90's. This doesn't happen by accident. There aren't any superstar impact players running around out there and this hasn't been a garbage schedule.

And it's why I've been saying as long as they clean things up 4 or 5 wins in the second half is not out of reach.

Attachments

• Combined Off and Def.pdf
    268.9 KB · Views: 74
I like what Marrone and staff are doing and he is still learning how to become an HC. I don't believe he is as stubborn as P and will grow as a coach and will be relentless on the recruiting trail. The problem I see is that they don't know how to win or let me say the confidence that comes from winning and I'm starting to think it's a mindset they need to get because they do have a lot of pluses to work with and that starts with Marrone.

I like what Marrone and staff are doing and he is still learning how to become an HC. I don't believe he is as stubborn as P and will grow as a coach and will be relentless on the recruiting trail. The problem I see is that they don't know how to win or let me say the confidence that comes from winning and I'm starting to think it's a mindset they need to get because they do have a lot of pluses to work with and that starts with Marrone.

I agree .. he is not as stubborn, you can see some drastic changes since he first took over ... I think they are starting to come around with the mindset needed to win ... I'm not used to seeing an SU team dominate an opponent like that ... at least not in a long time anyway. They have had numerous games against FCS teams or bad BCS teams where they could have run someone over like that and never did ... they dominated every facet of the game and that is exactly what they needed. That was the type of game they either lose or just skate by ... this team is different and its starting to show ... the fact that they have turned the ball over so often yet been in every game shows their character.

"Knowing how to win" or "confidence after you win some" don't say much about where you are as you work to improve.
Those stats (100 yd spread between yards gained, and yards given up) say you have the physical ingredients to compete -- aside from Pitt, the others on that list are winners. Clean up the turnovers, figure out how to finish in the red zone, establish the run, you can win.

There are also all those small things, that add up. The team fixed KOs, fixed punting, restored accurate FG kicking and found a better punt returner. We rotate bigs on the DL, use 5 LBs who can compete, have a spare safety or two, have two spare OL guys who have started, have a frosh RB who gained 50 yards in mop up time (how long since that has happened by mid-October?), have other spares who contribute (Stevens & Gulley), and rested many starters in Q4 (how long since that happened?).

There are still issues (we stalled in the red zone a couple of times; Macky saved a couple of possible turnovers; the secondary is soft and a tad slow), but this team is in good shape heading into some big games.

This is why I've been saying the corner has been turned and Marrone isn't going anywhere.

Regardless of win totals this program is playing as a team at it's highest level the late 90's. This doesn't happen by accident. There aren't any superstar impact players running around out there and this hasn't been a garbage schedule.

And it's why I've been saying as long as they clean things up 4 or 5 wins in the second half is not out of reach.

Impressive until you look at the W/Ls. Look at the similarities between SU and Pitt, including the only losing records in the top 40.

I think everyone about the relative level. One could agree with that and not that necessarily constitutes turning the corner. Minor quibble

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anyone else think this should be shown to Marrone because i think he could use a confidence boost more than anyone. We all know how important confidence is in competition, especially competition as emotional as football.

Its great that he realizes we have quite a few things to keep improving on, but i think its equally important he realizes that his hard work is, slowly, showing up on the field.

We are the best 3-4 team in the nation, with stats to prove it!

I also wonder what happens when a third ranking is introduced:

turnover margin with the biggest positive being #1 and biggest deficit being #124

anyone else think this should be shown to Marrone because i think he could use a confidence boost more than anyone. We all know how important confidence is in competition, especially competition as emotional as football.

Its great that he realizes we have quite a few things to keep improving on, but i think its equally important he realizes that his hard work is, slowly, showing up on the field.

We are the best 3-4 team in the nation, with stats to prove it!

I was getting the feeling it wasn't a lack of confidence and more of a "we're so close" frustration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom