lol this announcer Dan D | Syracusefan.com

lol this announcer Dan D

Jason Benetti and Dan Dakich are GREAT together.
Should be much higher on ESPN's announcing roster.

Knowledgable...prepared...and funny.
Dakich using Marek to set up his Anthony Davis line was quick thinking on his feet... based on the shot that was on the tv monitor.

One flaw: they sometimes get so going on a sidebar or analysis or a story that they don't mention who scored or some other development. For example, didn't mention when Howard Washington came in at point. Benetti should cut in at those times.
Otherwise...great sportscasting. Guys with whom it would be a lot of fun to go to a game.

Last edited:
Dakich is good but says a lot of stupid things.

I like him - but I would agree, maybe even 50% of what he says is stupid. The rest makes up for enough for me to find him tolerable. I guess because it's good natured, and he mixes in some decent analysis at times.

I like Bill Walton though too. lol

DD has more than one thread dedicated to him on here, not unlike myself. Take it as you will.

That's a good point - he may have three going now. That's rather impressive!

I've come to realize that you have to approach Dakich like you do Bill Walton. If you take him too seriously, he's going to annoy you. But when you realize that he's totally harmless, then he actually becomes pretty entertaining.

I've come to realize that you have to approach Dakich like you do Bill Walton. If you take him too seriously, he's going to annoy you. But when you realize that he's totally harmless, then he actually becomes pretty entertaining.
When the watcher realizes it's just entertainment, these guys are great.

Some seem to think they both do well when mitigated by handlers. Some on here think the same of me, which is why I feel I can relate to Dakich.

Dakich is good but says a lot of stupid things.

He does come out with some headscratchers - like, he doesn't seem to get that there's no "continuation" anywhere except the NBA. But his observation about JB working the refs was right on the nose. From the midpoint of the second half the calls evened out, which was critical. We were getting homered prior to that, but we got the benefit of several no-calls during that stretch.

Last edited:
I tuned in a bit late(or rather "tuned out" for a stretch due to distractions), but didn't I hear the other announcer refer to a SU player hitting the 3 as ending the "idiocy" of what the other guy was saying?

I found that a bit harsh...but being it was very unsual, quite intriguing!

I tuned in a bit late(or rather "tuned out" for a stretch due to distractions), but didn't I hear the other announcer refer to a SU player hitting the 3 as ending the "idiocy" of what the other guy was saying?

I found that a bit harsh...but being it was very unsual, quite intriguing!

That was one of the "headscratchers."