Looking Ahead. . . | Syracusefan.com

Looking Ahead. . .

VaBeachOrFan

2nd String
Just read some comments about the new Kevin Ollie lovefest, so a page is turning in the Syracuse scrapbook and a year from now SU will start building its ACC legend-to-be. Question for the board is: Who will become the new arch enemy? According to the ACC, it's BC, but BC's irrelevant. I'm guessing the media would promote the "brother against brother" storyline of SU-Duke and JB against his friend and fellow Olympic coach K. Of course there's SU-Pitt and SU-ND, two carryovers. SU-Georgetown will be dragged along as a relic of the past, but it won't be the same. My money is on SU-MD because they compete for the DC-Balto players and they compete in lacrosse as well. Just a feeling; what think y'all?-VBOF

Just read some comments about the new Kevin Ollie lovefest, so a page is turning in the Syracuse scrapbook and a year from now SU will start building its ACC legend-to-be. Question for the board is: Who will become the new arch enemy? According to the ACC, it's BC, but BC's irrelevant. I'm guessing the media would promote the "brother against brother" storyline of SU-Duke and JB against his friend and fellow Olympic coach K. Of course there's SU-Pitt and SU-ND, two carryovers. SU-Georgetown will be dragged along as a relic of the past, but it won't be the same. My money is on SU-MD because they compete for the DC-Balto players and they compete in lacrosse as well. Just a feeling; what think y'all?-VBOF
Md.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Maryland would have to up its game substantially for that to happen, they've been a marginal program for the last decade. ND is not our rival, they are our bitch, 19-9 against them since both programs have been playing in the same conference and they're never a real factor when it counts. Only way that gets competitive is if SU slides into another 06-08 swoon. Pitt on the other hand has owned us for the last decade and has been much better than either of the aforementioned programs in that span, they'd seem a better candidate for "arch-rival" status though I'd like to see them make just one Final 4. The competition with Duke and UNC should be great but let's face it, they are each other's chief rival. SU-Gtown or SU-UCon will likely lose its luster, but I fear it will take a long time for anything to compare to the rivalries we had with them in the last 20-30 years.

Always have hated carolina and that daggum coach of theirs.

I say SU and UNC! There is no love lost between JB and cry baby Roy! I also think JB will continue to own Roy's teams since their offense against our 2-3 zone will always be a bad match up for them.

nothing will replace GT and UCon. We will not have yearly home and homes with the two ACC big boys. Our attendance will drop.

Maryland would have to up its game substantially for that to happen, they've been a marginal program for the last decade. ND is not our rival, they are our bitch, 19-9 against them since both programs have been playing in the same conference and they're never a real factor when it counts. Only way that gets competitive is if SU slides into another 06-08 swoon. Pitt on the other hand has owned us for the last decade and has been much better than either of the aforementioned programs in that span, they'd seem a better candidate for "arch-rival" status though I'd like to see them make just one Final 4. The competition with Duke and UNC should be great but let's face it, they are each other's chief rival. SU-Gtown or SU-UCon will likely lose its luster, but I fear it will take a long time for anything to compare to the rivalries we had with them in the last 20-30 years.

Who knows:

- which close/controversial ACC games will wind up creating new rivalries;
- whether the officiating will be better in this finesse league (Pitt can't get away with brawl-ball), or will the Duke flop take over as our biggest officiating gripe;
- whether our AD will sign a league contract that allows Duke to send us 12 tickets so our fans are shut out of cameron indoor;

I do know this, however:

When UNC and Duke come calling in the Dome, the place will be packed. We'll get even more national exposure, the money triples, our recruiting is already off the charts.

Lots of good things coming... GT will always suck.

NC State. They're on the way up again and the fans detest each other.

Yeah, early money goes NCSt. I've always hated UNC & especially Dean Smith (him and his 4 corner stall), but that's just me. Last season (12/17/11) Syracuse beat NCSt 88-72 in the RBC Center, and apparently a lot of SU fans were there. The next day their fan boards were howling about how badly behaved the SU fans were. I guess somebody must have cheered out loud, or spilled a beer or something, LOL!

http://video.theacc.com/1333446896001/Syracuse-vs-NC-State-ACC-Mens-Basketball-Highlights/videos/

nothing will replace GT and UCon. We will not have yearly home and homes with the two ACC big boys. Our attendance will drop.

Seems a bold prediction, but I agree with you. The first one's kind of subjective, but we can check back in about 2015 or so on the attendance thing. We'll see bumps from Duke and Carolina games (and maybe a good showing in the first season overall), but I think attendance for conference games is going to take a dive.

Seems a bold prediction, but I agree with you. The first one's kind of subjective, but we can check back in about 2015 or so on the attendance thing. We'll see bumps from Duke and Carolina games (and maybe a good showing in the first season overall), but I think attendance for conference games is going to take a dive.

I think the home and homes with G-town and others will make up the difference plus everyone likes a winner...

You are right, after Duke & UNC, who will our big games be against? In the BE we had other teams besides UConn & GT - UL, Marq, Pitt, Nova and ND were usually ranked when they came in.
Now we'll have NC St and... and... Who? I'm hoping we bring in some name teams ooc to keep attendance up, the Cornells and Colgates aren't going to cut it any more.