Looking at old Pitt signings, Revis and Donald | Syracusefan.com

Looking at old Pitt signings, Revis and Donald

We all get that there are 2 and 3 star kids that turn into superstars. There are always outliers. But there is also a reason why Pitt only has 3 seasons where they have won more the 6 games in the past 12 years. One year they won 10, the other 9, and 8, nothing earth shattering. The reason, or a big part of the reason, if because their roster was mainly made up of 2 and 3 star kids. It's the same reason the Syracuse teams with Chan Jones, Justin Pugh, and Ryan Nassib topped out with a sole 8 win season. It's because despite those huge hits the rest of the roster was made up of 2 and 3 star talent. You can go up and down the rosters for every team in the country, except for the handful of outliers, there are very few programs who are winning big on a consistent basis with 2 and 3 star talent. So it's great if we rooting for individuals to overcome the star ratings and become successful, but as a program I think there is more then enough data to prove that it's highly unlikely you will become anything more significant then a mid to lower tier bowl team.

I'm not even saying this as anything negative towards our class. I know our limitations, but it's getting old as this seems just a way to justify our classes. The only people that try to justify it are usually the fans of the schools that can't get the 4 and 5 stars. Again, this isn't a negative towards the staff, and the job they did, but more towards the fans.

I know this won't be popular, but just look at all the proof.

We all get that there are 2 and 3 star kids that turn into superstars. There are always outliers. But there is also a reason why Pitt only has 3 seasons where they have won more the 6 games in the past 12 years. One year they won 10, the other 9, and 8, nothing earth shattering. The reason, or a big part of the reason, if because their roster was mainly made up of 2 and 3 star kids. It's the same reason the Syracuse teams with Chan Jones, Justin Pugh, and Ryan Nassib topped out with a sole 8 win season. It's because despite those huge hits the rest of the roster was made up of 2 and 3 star talent. You can go up and down the rosters for every team in the country, except for the handful of outliers, there are very few programs who are winning big on a consistent basis with 2 and 3 star talent. So it's great if we rooting for individuals to overcome the star ratings and become successful, but as a program I think there is more then enough data to prove that it's highly unlikely you will become anything more significant then a mid to lower tier bowl team.

I'm not even saying this as anything negative towards our class. I know our limitations, but it's getting old as this seems just a way to justify our classes. The only people that try to justify it are usually the fans of the schools that can't get the 4 and 5 stars. Again, this isn't a negative towards the staff, and the job they did, but more towards the fans.

I know this won't be popular, but just look at all the proof.
That really wasn't my point. I would rather have a team of 4 and 5 star players. Having said that, I wanted to point out that really, the top 2 defensive players I saw Syracuse play against over the last number of years were both 3 stars. Not just future pros but the best.

That really wasn't my point. I would rather have a team of 4 and 5 star players. Having said that, I wanted to point out that really, the top 2 defensive players I saw Syracuse play against over the last number of years were both 3 stars. Not just future pros but the best.
That will always be the case. There will always be 3 stars that are great players. Its not about those 1 or 2 players on a roster that become great. Its about numbers of high quality players that contribute to 8-9 win seasons. To constantly bring up the few players is fine. In fact I wish everyone of our players were 3 stars. Many that we will ultimately rely on for alot of minutes are lower rated. Its about the quality of the entire roster not just 3 players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom