Looking back we played a hard non-conference schedule | Syracusefan.com

Looking back we played a hard non-conference schedule

Alsacs

Living Legend
Out of 13 nonconference games we played 5 against teams from P6 basketball conferences
We played at the only top 10 Big Ten team in Wisconsin. This is hilarious that we got the top Big Ten Team and we played them on the road.
South Carolina is a top 20 team

Then we played 3 mediocre former rivals UConn, Georgetown, St. John's.

UConn has sucked and that loss is the red herring on resume.

Amazing how JB still gets a bad rep for scheduling but we played a good schedule this year and our preseason tournament only included 1 of the P6 team.
Next year we play Kansas in Miami,UConn in Jimmy V at MSG, Georgetown.
So our schedule will be hard again.

a couple of hard games does not make for a hard schedule . . . at KenPom, our non-conference is ranked 236 out of 351 schools

A high number is a bad thing, right?

You know half the time I say something stupid and the other half of the time I just get lucky!

When you looked at our schedule before the season it looked fairly tough. The ranking quoted above is obviously after realizing most of those teams turned out to be worse than expected. It ends up more depressing since we lost a bunch of those games.

Was there such a thing as a pre-season OOC schedule ranking?

Out of 13 nonconference games we played 5 against teams from P6 basketball conferences
We played at the only top 10 Big Ten team in Wisconsin. This is hilarious that we got the top Big Ten Team and we played them on the road.

Amazing how JB still gets a bad rep for scheduling but we played a good schedule this year and our preseason tournament only included 1 of the P6 team.
The Orange's horrendous play made most of those games hard.

UConn was the single worst-played alleged basketball game I have ever attended at any level (and I went to a few NJ Nets games at their worst).
G-town was another disgrace and casts a cloud on this entire season.
There are no adequate words to describe the St. John's debacle. But at least I wasn't there.

That leaves a sorry loss to South Carolina on a friendly NYC court.
And the one game that would be really tough even if the Orange played well...at Wisconsin.
One really good opponent on their home court does not make for a difficult non-conference schedule.

you could get a job as Sean Spicer's assistant - Deputy Secretary for the Creation of Alternate Facts

there are 200+ teams.. if you play 10 games against teams 100-150 or 10 games vs 200-250 the schedule is almost the same in how many games you should win but your schedule ranking will be widely different. doesnt mean it was any harder

South Carolina has quietly assumed first place in the SEC.

2016-17 SEC Men's College Basketball Standings

I do not want to change the way we are scheduling -- I do want to continue to play UConn, Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova fairly regularly. While we all should hope that UConn stays this bad or gets even worse, it is likely that both them and St. John's will step it up a bit in the future.

From a schedule strength perspective, a B10 challenge game, a good preseason tourney, and any 3 of the above is the foundation of a good schedule in terms of SOS, for fans, and for the team to prep itself.

It didn't work out well this year, but in theory it should.

if we didnt lose to the 3 old big east schools it wouldnt matter anyway.. still our SOS is not bad and getting better every week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom