Looking to game watch in Toronto for BC or Duke | Syracusefan.com

Looking to game watch in Toronto for BC or Duke

llandz

Living Legend
That is if I dare to leave the warm confines of my son's apartment. Going to be a high of 4 degrees by this weekend. But I would prefer to watch with someone who is into SU sports. Not too far from downtown. Anyone on here in Toronto????? I would almost go to Syracuse, but my son is sick and that is why I am up here instead of sitting by my pool, and we are flying back to Phoenix on Sunday to get him nursed back to health in warmer weather.

Toronto is awesome, i love that city im sure theres a place for you!!
Not to hijack the thread, but the film festival rocks and the city most definitely has the world's most beautiful women.

Toga said:
Not to hijack the thread, but the film festival rocks and the city most definitely has the world's most beautiful women.
Hijack? Please every single thread is hijacked. The term itself is dumb. When people talk about something it opens the window to other things that related to the topic at one point. And you are on point about the women and film festival. That city is AWESOME.

Good luck finding a place. I was in one "sports" bar and almost every TV was tuned to hockey. Luckily they had a very small one in a far off corner they devoted to basketball. That was at prime time so at 6 pm you might have better luck. At least until the Hockey Night in Canada pregame show comes on. This week you have Toronto at Montreal at 7 pm so good luck.

There's a restaurant at the top of the CN Tower.
I bet they have a TV somewhere.
Go there, and you can probably claim the world's highest SU game watch.
Hell, maybe you can get Manny's to make special T-shirts for it.

That is if I dare to leave the warm confines of my son's apartment. Going to be a high of 4 degrees by this weekend. But I would prefer to watch with someone who is into SU sports. Not too far from downtown. Anyone on here in Toronto????? I would almost go to Syracuse, but my son is sick and that is why I am up here instead of sitting by my pool, and we are flying back to Phoenix on Sunday to get him nursed back to health in warmer weather.
Toronto Cuse, are you in the house? Can you help llandz out?

I can get the game at my son's apartment. He was friends with one of the original guys who ran one of the streaming sites that was shut down by the gov't. I was just hoping to have Syracuse company. And I know if I go anywhere it is hockey, hockey, hockey. I lived here for 2 years before they even had a basketball team here.
I was here for the film festival this past summer. It is incredible. I saw our own Cheryl Strayed's movie "Wild" here, and Cheryl came out to answer questions after my viewing of the film.
All I can say is I now have a much better understanding and appreciation of why I live in AZ. Freezing up here!!!

Good luck finding a place. I was in one "sports" bar and almost every TV was tuned to hockey. Luckily they had a very small one in a far off corner they devoted to basketball. That was at prime time so at 6 pm you might have better luck. At least until the Hockey Night in Canada pregame show comes on. This week you have Toronto at Montreal at 7 pm so good luck.
In what world is hockey not a sport?

If you order the Super Sports Pak as part of Canadian Cable Packages (about $30-35 a month) you get a whole bunch of college basketball, and NHL and NBA league pass. Both games are on the Pak.

I lived in the North Part of the city and had a few bars I knew would give me a screen before I got the Pak in 2006.

If you are in midtown or downtown I would call a bar called "hoops" which caters largely to basketball.

http://www.hoopssportsbarandgrill.com/

Thanks jncuse. My son can get anything in his apartment. So I know I can get the games. Just felt like maybe watching the Duke game with SU fans somewhere.
Where in North part of town do you live? We lived in Thornhill many, many years ago. Late 1980s. Back then people thought we were crazy to go North of Steeles!!

Thanks jncuse. My son can get anything in his apartment. So I know I can get the games. Just felt like maybe watching the Duke game with SU fans somewhere.
Where in North part of town do you live? We lived in Thornhill many, many years ago. Late 1980s. Back then people thought we were crazy to go North of Steeles!!

Hi - I moved to Ottawa in 2007... would have like to meet otherwise. I did live in the Thornhill Area as well in my 8 years in the GTA. Last place I lived in Toronto was at Steeles / Dufferin.

We were further East. Leslie and Green Lane (just a bit south of hwy. 7 or North of John)

Blame Canada.jpg
So this is who is responsible for our NCAA violations, lol!!

Sorry llandz. I am slow on this one. My fault.

Don't be so sure your son will get it unless he has either the Rogers Sports pack or gets Directv. Its on ESPN and TSN (the channel that would normally pick it up) is showing Hockey on TSN and hockey on TSN2. Leafs or All-Star sat night will be on every sports channel we have.

Toronto and College basketball is tough. Especially with Toronto @ Montreal in hockey dominating every bar. A few options to look into though...

1. Real Sports Bar and Grill - It is directly across from the Air Canada Center in Maple Leaf Square. They will 90% be showing Syracuse/Duke but I would call first (416)815-7325. This is a phenomenal sports bar and will have good atmosphere since it will be all-star Saturday night. This is the Toronto equivalent to going to ESPN Zone. Show up early. Its busy always but the all-star sat night, Leafs rivalry game, and V-day will make it next to impossible to get a table without waiting. They will likely be showing game though and there may be some cuse fans (usually are on game night).

2. Rally Sports Bar and Smokehouse - Victoria Park and Eglinton. A personal favorite to watch a game. Only 7000 square feet but they are very accommodating with the remote control, have about 50 televisions and make excellent BBQ (though it's not Dinosaur). I would also call to ensure they get the game (416) 551-7356. If they get it they'll turn it on for you. Usually some Cuse fans watching here. Watched the Cal game here with 5 strangers who were cuse fans. Will be a very HOCKEY atmosphere.

3. Wolfies Deli - Its at Bathurst and Sheppard. He has 1 television and it's 36 inches. That said it is hooked up to Directv. Ask for Dave and tell him Nolan sent you. He'll turn on Cuse game for you.

Don't go to Hoops. They will likely not be showing the game and won't turn it on for you even if they get it because of hockey and all-star sat. They are asses.

I wish I was going to be in town. I would invite you and your son to watch with my me and my family forsure. We are going up to our cottage (1.5 hours north of Thornhill) to watch. If you want to make the drive you are more than welcome. If none of these three options work for you and your son doesn't get it and you don't feel like driving, send me a PM and I will set you up with some freinds who will be watching game and are cuse fans.

Wish I could do better...

Last edited:
Thanks Toronto. My son gets it through his own streaming talents. I don't know if you remember the streaming site surfingchannel.com that got shut down by the US gov't a few years ago? That was one of his very good friends.. He can get anything I want to watch. Last night we watched SU v BC, then the UVA/ NC State game that was only on game plan. Oh and he gets a lot of this stiff on Apple TV also.

After being out a lot today I am not so sure I want to go anywhere. The weather has definitely turned a bit nippy here. Yesterday was still fine. Today...was below my comfort level. Of course the Queen St. street car suddenly stopped running due to an accident down the road about a mile from my son's apartment, and I made that nice little one mile walk in the minus 17 wind chill. Still thawing out.

If you were around I would meet you. Not sure I want to take the chance with the other places unless I knew for sure that there would be Cuse fans there. I know one other person here who I met in San Diego on the game on the naval carrier, but he has not answered my messages. He works as a producer for TSN, mostly soccer, and I think they start the season soon.

We leave to go back to AZ on Sunday so a trip up to the cabin on Sat. night would be too difficult. Thanks anyways.

I am pretty sure Wolfie's deli was here when I lived here in the mid 1980s. definitely a familiar name to me.