Looks like power 5 conferences are going to get their autonomy from the other 27 conferences | Syracusefan.com

Looks like power 5 conferences are going to get their autonomy from the other 27 conferences

If the power conferences are setting the rules and they have no incentive to try to "maintain a level playing field" with the have nots will college sports still strive to have an aura of amateurism? And, if so, why?

I tend to disagree with people that dont really think this will affect college basketball. If these power 5 conferences are playing with different rules, and better amenities, players will have even less incentive to go to the Uconn, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, VCU's of the world if they are recruited by a power 5 conference school. Thats including the lower level power 5 teams like Rutgers, Northwestern, Washington st, Oregon st's of the world. If these schools can provide players with better treatment and policies due to the changing rules then the lower level schools then they will go there instead of the schools previously listed. And I'm strictly talking if they implement per diems, medical care, and other amenities that the rules dictate because the first set of teams wont be able to offer those amenities because they will be classified as a non power 5 school and would have to follow their own rules, which teams in their class would be less likely to vote yes on because they cant afford to pay for that stuff and they would want to keep a level playing field. They arent playing with the type of money the power 5 schools are playing with. Maybe thats not how they plan on implementing the rules, but thats my 2 cents.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...e-major-conferences-more-authority-own-issues

The haves and have nots ship is about to sail from the dock. If you aren't on one of the five big boats(ACC, B1G, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC) then your going to eventually die in the football game. I think basketball won't be hurt as much as football will with this gap.

This is the beginning of the end for the ncaa. The majority of schools are not big 5; why would they vote for this? The big 5 will break away. There will no longer be a unified college championship in football or basketball. Big time college athletics will be less collegial and more professional. When the big dance becomes two smaller dances, the public might be less intrigued and tournament TV revenues could take a hit. Will big 5 college teams align with pro teams, with corporate sponsors? Will players dress like NASCAR drivers? The times, they are a changin. Shabazz's appetite will be the snack heard round the world.

Clev04 said:
I tend to disagree with people that dont really think this will affect college basketball. If these power 5 conferences are playing with different rules, and better amenities, players will have even less incentive to go to the Uconn, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, VCU's of the world if they are recruited by a power 5 conference school. Thats including the lower level power 5 teams like Rutgers, Northwestern, Washington st, Oregon st's of the world. If these schools can provide players with better treatment and policies due to the changing rules then the lower level schools then they will go there instead of the schools previously listed. And I'm strictly talking if they implement per diems, medical care, and other amenities that the rules dictate because the first set of teams wont be able to offer those amenities because they will be classified as a non power 5 school and would have to follow their own rules, which teams in their class would be less likely to vote yes on because they cant afford to pay for that stuff and they would want to keep a level playing field. They arent playing with the type of money the power 5 schools are playing with. Maybe thats not how they plan on implementing the rules, but thats my 2 cents.

You're right. Eventually the difference in $$$$ coming into an AD will take it's toll.

Would you trade places with UConn?

Didn't think so.

SU2NASA said:
Would you trade places with UConn? Didn't think so.

I'd take their NC and their success the past decade in basketball, but we can't go backwards. So looking forward, no way no how would I trade places with them.

I think this is a point worth considering, but how do you explain the "cinderella" teams that have, unexpectedly, done well? There are recruits that are not highly rank that develop into very good players in the "mid-majors" and below. Sure, its more likely if you're in the Top 100, but the Power 5 can only take so many players on scholarship.

I hope the non-Power 5 conferences continue to produce high-level basketball teams - its the one things that make the NCAAT one of the best sporting events ever (IMO).

I will acquiesce, however, that the Power 5 will have an advantage (don't they already?) and I'm fine with that seeing as we are part of that ;)

I think this is a point worth considering, but how do you explain the "cinderella" teams that have, unexpectedly, done well? There are recruits that are not highly rank that develop into very good players in the "mid-majors" and below. Sure, its more likely if you're in the Top 100, but the Power 5 can only take so many players on scholarship.

I hope the non-Power 5 conferences continue to produce high-level basketball teams - its the one things that make the NCAAT one of the best sporting events ever (IMO).

I will acquiesce, however, that the Power 5 will have an advantage (don't they already?) and I'm fine with that seeing as we are part of that ;)
Cinderellas will always happen, I'm getting at the programs that have been just below elite level status or at elite level for the last 15 years like UConn, gonzaga, Memphis, etc. These teams which are not considered to be of Cinderella status will lose there appeal and level of play. They won't get the top 100 players anymore because those players are going to want the amenities (assuming this rule is passed it seems like the players will be afforded more assets with there scholoriship) that all of the power 5 conferences can offer. Also, Memphis and UConn will be making roughly 4 million a year compared to the power 5 teams which will be making 20 million a year. It's will just become impossible to keep up with a power confrence team and remain at the level of play they have become accustomed too.

The non-P5 conferences are agreeing with this autonomy because it will keep the P5 from leaving the NCAA and destroying the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament which generates about 80% of all the yearly revenue for the NCAA to pay administrative costs, for their bureaucracy jobs, compliance office, and to pay for all the non-revenue NCAA tournaments(soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, hockey etc.)

The P5 conference are doing this for football. The NCAA Division 1 has 32 conferences and the rules that govern football are decided by all those 32 conferences. The P5 want to give their athletes more, but because the other conferences don't have the TV contracts of the P5 conferences. Thus, the P5 used the leverage of losing the NCAA Tournament money from the other 27 conferences which is where a lot of them getting their NCAA unit money to pay for their conference office expenses. This autonomy may hurt some basketball programs, but basketball only schools like the Big East, Gonzaga etc will be able to afford full cost scholarships for 13 athletes with their TV money, but teams that play Division 1 football and aren't in P5 leagues are the ones that will be screwed. AAC/MWC/Sun Belt/MAC/CUSA schools are the biggest losers because they won't be able to pay full cost scholarships for 85 athletes AND be able to sustain their programs without losing significant money because their TV contracts don't generate the revenue to make it profitable. Thus for these non-P5 Division 1 football leagues will become nothing but cannon fodder for the P5 teams and this is why UConn football is done. They will either lose significant money to pay 85 full attendance scholarship for football and 13 men's basketball scholarships or their football program will probably stop playing Division 1 football and they can afford the just 13 men's basketball full cost scholarships.

The key to what the P5 are doing is they aren't restricting anyone from the non-P5 conferences allowing all the rules they want they just want to be able to do this stuff without needing the majority of the 350 Division 1 schools in the NCAA to get any changes approved. Thus, WCC/Southern Conference/Patriot League teams could allow their basketball players the same benefits as ACC/SEC/B1G teams. This helps basketball players in Division 1 and makes recruiting in football an advantage to the top 65 teams because they could afford the additional benefits that non-P5 teams likely can't afford.

Does this free up more cash for the P5? If not, so many are claiming losses how can an added expense be a good thing?

Does this free up more cash for the P5? If not, so many are claiming losses how can an added expense be a good thing?
The P5 already control the Division 1 FB right now. This doesn't open up more cash for the P5 it just allows them to give their football players more money/advantages and get rid of this union crap/movement. If football/basketball players who generate millions of dollars for universities get more than just academic scholarship it will keep the NCAA House of Cards from completely falling over. I would assume any sport where the school is making any money would get these advantages as well. However, these full cost scholarships would probably get challenged by a Title IX attorney, but they would lose because those sports don't generate profits and thus the academic scholarships are fair compensate. I think this argument would pass a rational basis test by any judge would wasn't completely biased.

The P5 already control the Division 1 FB right now. This doesn't open up more cash for the P5 it just allows them to give their football players more money/advantages and get rid of this union crap/movement. If football/basketball players who generate millions of dollars for universities get more than just academic scholarship it will keep the NCAA House of Cards from completely falling over. I would assume any sport where the school is making any money would get these advantages as well. However, these full cost scholarships would probably get challenged by a Title IX attorney, but they would lose because those sports don't generate profits and thus the academic scholarships are fair compensate. I think this argument would pass a rational basis test by any judge would wasn't completely biased.

Alsacs I still don't understand how this makes it financially doable if you have to pay for all sports. You know more about this stuff then I do and it just doesn't add up to me...ironically you said house of cards and that does seem fitting as I'm waiting for Frank Underwood to be involved somehow.

Alsacs I still don't understand how this makes it financially doable if you have to pay for all sports. You know more about this stuff then I do and it just doesn't add up to me...ironically you said house of cards and that does seem fitting as I'm waiting for Frank Underwood to be involved somehow.
The schools won't pay full cost scholarships to ALL SPORTS. The schools legal department have the rational basis defense as to why football and basketball players will get the full cost scholarships for their universities because they are responsible for the TV revenue those college generate because of FB/BB money. I am sure a men's hockey player or women's lacrosse player at a P5 conference may file a lawsuit asking for the full-cost scholarship just to see if they can get it, but the courts would have to be a very liberal judge IMO to rule in favor of those athletes. A men's or women's soccer player at North Carolina, Alabama, UCLA, Texas, Syracuse are getting a free education in exchange for playing their sport I doubt any players leave college early to play professional sports. The schools are LOSING money on these sports thus the athletes are getting the benefit of bargin in these sports. In football/basketball universities are PROFITING millions on these athletes and because of NCAA rules can't give their athletes anything, but academic scholarships this autonomy allows these P5 conferences to give these athletes stipends, free scholarships if they leave early to come back, medical coverage after their playing days etc.

This autonomy helps P5 football players because they will be getting more of the pie because they are those ones generating the increase in the P5 conferences pie. It is fair IMO. Basketball players who produce revenue are going to benefit as well, but Men's Volleyball or Women's Softball aren't producing profits so I don't think they will or should get these increased benefits.

I don't know because of Title 9 and being fair for all might come into play here. This whole thing is way beyond me and imo it'll remain complicated like the IRS or the like. I get what you're saying but this thing may end up being a battle and to be honest I have a feeling we the fans will end up paying more for tickets when all is said and done.

Three-part test
Title IX 3 part test from the courts in 1979 Policy Interpretation articulated three ways compliance with Title IX can be achieved. This became known as the "three-part test" for compliance. A recipient of federal funds can demonstrate compliance with Title IX by meeting any one of the three prongs.
  • "All such assistance should be available on a substantially proportional basis to the number of male and female participants in the institution's athletic program."
  • "Male and female athletes should receive equivalent treatment, benefits, and opportunities" regarding facilities.
  • "The athletic interests and abilities of male and female students must be equally effectively accommodated."
  • "Institutions must provide both the opportunity for individuals of each sex to participate in intercollegiate competition, and for athletes of each sex to have competitive team schedules which equally reflect their abilities." Compliance can be assessed in any one of three ways:
  1. Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment. This prong of the test is satisfied when participation opportunities for men and women are "substantially proportionate" to their respective undergraduate enrollment.
  2. Demonstrating a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution has a history and continuing practice of program expansion that is responsive to the developing interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex (typically female).
  3. Accommodating the interest and ability of underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution is meeting the interests and abilities of its female students even where there are disproportionately fewer females than males participating in sports.

The part I bolded in red is how the universities/colleges fulfill Title IX. This wouldn't change if FB/BB players were getting full cost scholarships. If a TV network will pay the conferences for women sports and the colleges/universities are profiting from these women's sports then those athletes would and should get full cost scholarships. The female athletes would probably sue using the Equal Protection Clause over Title IX.

I wonder how this will effect/affect (pick one I can never remember the right one) admissions.

Would you trade places with UConn?

Didn't think so.

Basketball only? Give me 4 NCs in 15 years and I'll move to the America East till I die.

Cinderellas will always happen, I'm getting at the programs that have been just below elite level status or at elite level for the last 15 years like UConn, gonzaga, Memphis, etc. These teams which are not considered to be of Cinderella status will lose there appeal and level of play. They won't get the top 100 players anymore because those players are going to want the amenities (assuming this rule is passed it seems like the players will be afforded more assets with there scholoriship) that all of the power 5 conferences can offer. Also, Memphis and UConn will be making roughly 4 million a year compared to the power 5 teams which will be making 20 million a year. It's will just become impossible to keep up with a power confrence team and remain at the level of play they have become accustomed too.
Teams that want to be contenders outside of the big 5, like UCon, will go independent.

Teams outside of the P5 that are in the MWC/AAC/MAC/Sun Belt/WAC will either move to D-1AA, continue their current affiliation is cannon fodder for the P5, or lose a crap load of money to give the same benefits as the P5 will offer their players.