Looks like we'll have a Big 3 this year. | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we'll have a Big 3 this year.

cuseincincy

All Conference
Battle, Brissett and Howard. Battle will have to be huge, he's "the guy." Brissett's a frosh so it may be much to expect but at least he doesn't have to be "the guy." Frank has played well and his game seems to have matured. I think he's always had the talent. Now he needs to continue the same level of play when the competition gets tougher. He can't slide back.
Pretty obvious the center spot is in OK hands between Chukwu and Sidibe. That's 5.
Who's next? One spot left and 3 guys want it. Ideally it would be Moyer to help up front but he needs to find an offensive identity. Even if just boxing out and putting rebounds back in. Thorpe means going with 3 guards. But he can add some shooting and quickness. And then there is Dolezaj. Too skinny to help much up front? Not really a shooting threat? Both true. So why do I want him to be the #5 starter?! Start with defense. Never hurts to be able to play defense to get playing time. But more than that the kid seems to get it. He's a hustler and scrapper. Maybe a skinnier version of KO. With a little more confidence I think Dolezaj could develop into a point forward type on offense that handles and distributes the ball. There's 50-60 minutes that will need to be filled by the combination of Thorpe, Moyer and Dolezaj. It would be nice for one of them to elevate themselves and take the bulk of those minutes.

It's still early, thankfully, but you have to squint pretty hard to find a big 3.

I actually think Oshae is the key here. He needs to one of those 3. He can be, I think, but it's a lot of pressure for a freshman.

Counting on Howard seems premature. Fortunately there is some insurance here in the form of Thorpe. Although Geno has not looked good so far, many over the summer penciled him in for double digit points, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his potential to contribute. Especially given the injury.

Battle is obviously solid, and will need to perform like senior year G.

Battle
Howard/Thorpe
Brisset
Marek / Moyer (but probably Marek)
Center combo.

If you can get Howard and Thorpe going at the same time, you can play small with those 3, a center, and 1 of 3 forwards.