Loop hole in recruiting for players who change their mind? | Syracusefan.com

Loop hole in recruiting for players who change their mind?

Van111

Starter
It is my understanding, that all a student has to do if he changes his mind after signing a LOI with a school, is not be academically accepted. There are a whole lot of ways to not be accepted and now you can be recruited all over again like Corey Cooper is doing right now. In my mind, this simply doesn't make sense. Maybe somebody on here can better explain this rule? I assume that the reason Williams isn't also in the same boat on this is because he needs a release from his school to attend SU.

It s not a loophole and I don't think kids are intentionally screwing up their academic eligibility for the reasons you state especially Cory I think you are inferring things that don't belong here and that is all I will say about this thread.

How would a kid make himself not academically eligible? Tank every exam during his Senior year on purpose?

Of course if he makes himself academically ineligible, he can't sign with ANY other D1 team. And he now has to attend prep school for a year just to get his grades back up to an acceptable level.

Has anyone actually done this?

How would a kid make himself not academically eligible? Tank every exam during his Senior year on purpose?

Of course if he makes himself academically ineligible, he can't sign with ANY other D1 team. And he now has to attend prep school for a year just to get his grades back up to an acceptable level.

Has anyone actually done this?

No. Idiotic thread that has no place on this board may the mods take notice and hopefully delete!

No. Idiotic thread that has no place on this board may the mods take notice and hopefully delete!
Sorry guys, it was more of a question as to why you become eligeable all over again like the previous year never happened.

Sorry guys, it was more of a question as to why you become eligeable all over again like the previous year never happened.

Put that way I can answer the LOI is only binding for one year. So we'll say the coach that recruitied you gets fired after you sign and you decide not to show up on campus than you can reopen your recruitment as long as you do not enroll at anoth member (NCAA) institution.

Put that way I can answer the LOI is only binding for one year. So we'll say the coach that recruitied you gets fired after you sign and you decide not to show up on campus than you can reopen your recruitment as long as you do not enroll at anoth member (NCAA) institution.
Wasn't meant as a poke on Cory in no way, but terribly worded, I admit. Admin's abolish me!

Wasn't meant as a poke on Cory in no way, but terribly worded, I admit. Admin's abolish me!

I'm over it. Now don't you ever do that again, ever Oh Lord

If you want to be able to get out of a situation, don't sign an LOI. It's not required for an athlete.

If you want to be able to get out of a situation, don't sign an LOI. It's not required for an athlete.

In an addition to my previous this is also true. Thanks bnoro didn't even think to add that.

I claim to know next to nothing about the process, but I thought if you don't sign your LOI you don't get to attend a specific college on scholarship. If a player wanted to play at SU and had an offer, but didn't sign his LOI to attend SU (or any university) if he then decides to attend SU and play football, isn't he then required to be a walk-on?

I claim to know next to nothing about the process, but I thought if you don't sign your LOI you don't get to attend a specific college on scholarship. If a player wanted to play at SU and had an offer, but didn't sign his LOI to attend SU (or any university) if he then decides to attend SU and play football, isn't he then required to be a walk-on?

Incorrect LOI and grant in aid papers are completely different and an LOI is not required. Though every kid wants to sign and get their picture taken don't get me wrong my daughter couldn't wait to sign with her college and it wasn't even for a scholarship

the LOI just means you cant go anyplace else.. the grant papers are for the scholie. some big time kids try to sign the grant paper work and then they can still switch schools but the school is binded to give them a scholie if they show up.

the LOI just means you cant go anyplace else.. the grant papers are for the scholie. some big time kids try to sign the grant paper work and then they can still switch schools but the school is bound to give them a scholie if they show up.
:D

the LOI just means you cant go anyplace else.. the grant papers are for the scholie. some big time kids try to sign the grant paper work and then they can still switch schools but the school is binded to give them a scholie if they show up.
Zach Allen comes to mind.. didn't he only sign the grant papers?

Allen decomitted a few weeks before LOI day, no?

Yes ... he did a token signing ... just put his signature on his offer letter ... never signed anything official ... he decommitted before he could even officially commit.

Yes ... he did a token signing ... just put his signature on his offer letter ... never signed anything official ... he decommitted before he could even officially commit.
That's what it was, the offer letter.. I knew he held a signing, just wasn't sure what he signed.

That's what it was, the offer letter.. I knew he held a signing, just wasn't sure what he signed.

Might as well have signed toilet paper - that's about how much that signature was worth.

Might as well have signed toilet paper - that's about how much that signature was worth.
Unless he wins the Heisman as a freshman, then that paper could be worth 4 figures or more!