Loss of Ennis and Grant is WAY bigger then I ever thought | Syracusefan.com

Loss of Ennis and Grant is WAY bigger then I ever thought

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I knew we were going to miss both of those guys but this team looks 2007 bad right now.

Not going to overreact to much from one game but its clear this team desperately could use Grant and Tyler. Joseph really looks like a true frosh and right now hes clearly in way over his head. Having another scorer out there like Grant to pair with Cmac at the forward would make this team completely different. Even just having one of those two back (especially Ennis) would be a god send to this team right now.

Also I understand those two leaving early hurt overall depth but for the love of god could we please use all of the scholarships for once. Yes I know we will have all 13 in use next year but having 3 open this year with Coleman and Oboko pretty much non factors is killing us depth wise.

This.

Two kids - whose best argument here was to go to the league before being exposed in college - that are 35 minute guys and would not even be seniors would make a world of difference.

This team isn't ready to compete at a high level...this was far different than shots not falling. Frankly I forgot what this feels like. :mad:

Brutal to have lost them both. The leadership element is the hardest part. We can only hope that joseph silent g or cooney find that ability to lead the way for this team to learn how to win. If not we really could be looking at a 17 win season as brutal as the acc is.

I knew we were going to miss both of those guys but this team looks 2007 bad right now.

Not going to overreact to much from one game but its clear this team desperately could use Grant and Tyler. Joseph really looks like a true frosh and right now hes clearly in way over his head. Having another scorer out there like Grant to pair with Cmac at the forward would make this team completely different. Even just having one of those two back (especially Ennis) would be a god send to this team right now.

Also I understand those two leaving early hurt overall depth but for the love of god could we please use all of the scholarships for once. Yes I know we will have all 13 in use next year but having 3 open this year with Coleman and Oboko pretty much non factors is killing us depth wise.
How can you use all of the ships when you are trying to self penalize to avoid ncaa penalties.

Grant hurts because of frontcourt depth. We have none and we need it. He wasn't polished, but he was a quality player. The loss of CJ is worse.

Ennis hurts for 2 reasons. 1 no PG depth. 2 KJ played very "young" tonight and probably will again and again. I like him as a player but this is the tail end of 4 new pgs in 4 years. we got lucky we had a frosh PhD last year. doesn't always happen.

How can you use all of the ships when you are trying to self penalize to avoid ncaa penalties.

The NCAA is a lot of things but blatantly stupid is not one of them, theres little chance there going to go with that. Even if what your saying is true you self penalize one or two not freeking three when Coleman's career maybe over and Chino looks like he would struggle to start for Div 3 Utica College.

Ennis obviously knew how to direct an offense. When most of the other facets of the offense SEEM to be based more on ISO stuff, other than the same old Cooney curls or screens for him up top, losing Grant hurts big time since he can make a freakish ISO play to bail us out. Roberson doesn't have that. Boy he took some crazy contested shots tonight. Good thing we have McCullough though. I thought it would be ugly but not this bad. Cal is going to be good. I was impressed with them. Size, good athletes, and good M2M. Syracuse HAS to diversify its offense if they expect to put up points against teams with good athletes and defense. This is becoming a problem. Hopefully Iowa isn't as good.

Grant hurts because of frontcourt depth. We have none and we need it. He wasn't polished, but he was a quality player. The loss of CJ is worse.

Ennis hurts for 2 reasons. 1 no PG depth. 2 KJ played very "young" tonight and probably will again and again. I like him as a player but this is the tail end of 4 new pgs in 4 years. we got lucky we had a frosh PhD last year. doesn't always happen.

Great points, once it was clear that Ennis was probably leaving (guessing Jan early Feb last year) surprised we didnt look at a JUCO or 5th year PG or even a Forward. Lack of depth on this team is really glaring especially at Forward/Center

I don't see the great surprise.
We lost a dependable point guard who rarely turned it over.
We lost an All-American forward and senior leader "go to" guy.
We lost an athletic defender/rebounder who was improving offensively and may have had a breakout year.

Their replacements - as talented as they may be - have no experience in college and no experience playing together.
This season was and is a big question mark.
Will they jell by the end of the year?
We'll see.

The upside: over the years Jim Boeheim has done some of his best coaching when he's had less than spectacular teams.
He definitely has his work cut out for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom