Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

how does this even happen right now?

1603670381998.png

They will if the entire staff that recruited them are gone, along with any chance to play in the NCAAT. Of course, that all depends on the NCAA having the cojones to send a message to the rest of college basketball.

And that's a big if.
kid obv received assurances, prob from Miller himself

They will if the entire staff that recruited them are gone, along with any chance to play in the NCAAT. Of course, that all depends on the NCAA having the cojones to send a message to the rest of college basketball.

And that's a big if.

At the pace the NCAA moves they are betting theyll be there and gone before any sanctions are imposed, if they ever are.

At the pace the NCAA moves they are betting theyll be there and gone before any sanctions are imposed, if they ever are.
I think Louisville has been using that line the past several years. "Don't worry, you'll only be here for a season or two, and then off to the League. The NCAA will never wrap up our case that quickly."

I’d guess he’s fired this week
I can see suspended, but I'm not so sure if they'll fire him that fast because that sets the school up for a law suit. If they wait for the NCAA to go through the hearings process and the hammer drops, then they can fire him for cause and not have to pay him anything.

It's the answer to the question of why any of the accused coaches still have a job, "Because if they wait, they get to fire him for free."

I can see suspended, but I'm not so sure if they'll fire him that fast because that sets the school up for a law suit. If they wait for the NCAA to go through the hearings process and the hammer drops, then they can fire him for cause and not have to pay him anything.

It's the answer to the question of why any of the accused coaches still have a job, "Because if they wait, they get to fire him for free."
I might be misremembering but I thought Miller specifically had a “just cause” clause just for infractions allegations...otherwise I agree

Know this: America’s most notorious recruiting league is rife with rumor and accusation once again—and none of it involves Kentucky’s John Calipari, the man with vacated Final Fours at both Massachusetts and Memphis.

That’s how you know the conference has some depth to it. Or is sinking to new depths.

There is no doubt Calipari was all about it at the start. He had the rock solid UK booster support to hide the bodies and make sure the NCAA did what it was told. Once the foundation was set, he didn't need to play dirty much anymore because the perception of UK as NBAU was complete.

So I'm not following this as closely of late but Zona can still fight this aggressively right?

There is no doubt Calipari was all about it at the start. He had the rock solid UK booster support to hide the bodies and make sure the NCAA did what it was told. Once the foundation was set, he didn't need to play dirty much anymore because the perception of UK as NBAU was complete.

100% right on the money assessment.

I said it once- I'll say it again: "We should have played FAb. We should NOT have cooperated or self-reported. That was a big mistake".
Does anyone doubt that the program would be in a better position today, if we'd told the NCAA to Go cFk Themselves?
I didn't believe this at the time but, with everything that's transpired since, it seems pretty clear you're better off ignoring the rules and asking for forgiveness later. Would they vacate the championship later? Maybe, but that's still better than getting knocked out early because you don't have your starting center.

So I'm not following this as closely of late but Zona can still fight this aggressively right?
Sure they can. But when the NCAA has transcripts of the coach talking about payoffs on the phone, it could be really costly in the end, like an extra year of no tournament or scholarship reductions. What kind of defense do they have? He was really talking about making donations to charities? How do they fight it? The lawyers for these schools are really going to have to be imaginative in coming up with defenses when these hearings start.

Sure they can. But when the NCAA has transcripts of the coach talking about payoffs on the phone, it could be really costly in the end, like an extra year of no tournament or scholarship reductions. What kind of defense do they have? He was really talking about making donations to charities? How do they fight it? The lawyers for these schools are really going to have to be imaginative in coming up with defenses when these hearings start.

And isn’t that what we all thought would be the case with UNC and it’s fake academic programs? How long did they get suspended? Hire enough attorneys and pay them enough money and someone will come up with a novel argument in defense that might ultimately extricate them.

...if the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.

True. That said there is a gamble here that in two years the NCAA landscape is night and day and the argument that this isn't a major issue given the many changes to athlete compensation and thus they should get a slap on the wrist with a bandaid for the pain. Not saying they win that argument but I could see it, especially given they will continue to be a top 20 program with current recruiting.

I didn't believe this at the time but, with everything that's transpired since, it seems pretty clear you're better off ignoring the rules and asking for forgiveness later. Would they vacate the championship later? Maybe, but that's still better than getting knocked out early because you don't have your starting center.
And "vacating a championship" is such a bogus penalty. Its like trying to tell us we didn't see, what we all know we saw. Personally, I'd rather go through the tremendous high of experiencing another championship moment, and damn whatever "punishment" they try to attach to it later. Because apparently, apart from hookers and blow at the Melo Center, you'll never get those vacated. And yet I still remember Harrell's dunk & Luke Hancock's 3's in the Final. See; Louisville- MBB".
Fact is years from now, no one will remember a vacated championship, but we'll always remember the games that were won to earn it. Aside from hardcore SU fans, does anyone even know that JB "vacated" 100+ wins as a penalty? Better yet, does anyone care?

Last edited:
Seriously if anyone has HbO and hasn’t watched that special about the adidas guy. You have to watch it now. This will make this thread wayyyyyy bettter. It’s unreallllll what they have on wire tap from zona and lsu coach
I think I will do this

True. That said there is a gamble here that in two years the NCAA landscape is night and day and the argument that this isn't a major issue given the many changes to athlete compensation and thus they should get a slap on the wrist with a bandaid for the pain. Not saying they win that argument but I could see it, especially given they will continue to be a top 20 program with current recruiting.
Other schools and administrators and coaches want these cheaters punished. They are brazen in their cheating, and it’s created a non-level playing field within the P5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom