Louisville Likely to Shake Up Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Likely to Shake Up Lineup

iommi

Living Legend
Nothing new...Pitino has been doing this all year. Louisville beat writer thinks that means Anas Mahmoud will get the start.

I'm curious who is going to the bench. Mathiang has not been great since his suspension, so it could be him. Jaylen Johnson played well against Syracuse last game. It's not a huge thing, since Pitino liberally uses his bench but I thought I'd point this out.

Mahmoud had a very solid game against us -- 24 minutes, 12 points on 4-6 shooting, led Louisville with 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. In the games I've seen him play he is very inconsistent, one game looks like an All American then another game looks horrible. If White, Gillon and Battle go 11-42 and 5-26 from 3, like they did in the first game against UL, we won't make it to overtime. And it had little to do with the Louisville defense, although they are certainly strong defensively. Louisville did not shoot the lights out against us in the 1st game. I can't believe the guys will shoot anywhere close to that poorly again. At least I hope not.

Mahmoud had a very solid game against us -- 24 minutes, 12 points on 4-6 shooting, led Louisville with 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. In the games I've seen him play he is very inconsistent, one game looks like an All American then another game looks horrible. If White, Gillon and Battle go 11-42 and 5-26 from 3, like they did in the first game against UL, we won't make it to overtime. And it had little to do with the Louisville defense, although they are certainly strong defensively. Louisville did not shoot the lights out against us in the 1st game. I can't believe the guys will shoot anywhere close to that poorly again. At least I hope not.

yes we need to hit alot of 3s to stay in the game, louisville is gonna put up alot of points, we're gonna need a big game from beyond the arc. if we shoot 5-26 we'll lose by 20+.

Mahmoud is talented but yes, up and down, like a typical freshman in that regard. He's an outstanding defender, tremendous length, good athlete. Future pro IMO. I like his ability to step out and shoot. Plays like a Euro offensively, though he's Egyptian.

Pitino loves his game. I think he will be back next year and then go pro. He will be a beast next year.

I've been surprised for weeks at how relatively little Pitino seems to play Mahmoud - he's one of the best bigs in the conference - better, for example, than Lammers
(of course that opinion is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison as the two are different types of bigs and one plays many more minutes/game than the other - ultimately comes down to the old eye test)

Mahmoud is talented but yes, up and down, like a typical freshman in that regard. He's an outstanding defender, tremendous length, good athlete. Future pro IMO. I like his ability to step out and shoot. Plays like a Euro offensively, though he's Egyptian.

Pitino loves his game. I think he will be back next year and then go pro. He will be a beast next year.
actually a sophomore, I believe

yes we need to hit alot of 3s to stay in the game, louisville is gonna put up alot of points, we're gonna need a big game from beyond the arc. if we shoot 5-26 we'll lose by 20+.

Especially because we might have a hard time scoring at the rim if they bring their "A" game defensively. They have so much length in there. It's a tough matchup. I was surprised we were so close to beating them last game.

I've been surprised for weeks at how relatively little Pitino seems to play Mahmoud - he's one of the best bigs in the conference - better, for example, than Lammers
(of course that opinion is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison as the two are different types of bigs and one plays many more minutes/game than the other - ultimately comes down to the old eye test)

This again?

Just kidding, Pearl.

Seriously, Pitino loves Mahmoud, I just think Louisville is very deep up front. It's like people wanted MCW to get more time his freshman year. He probably had the talent to get it, but JB had other guards he felt needed to play.

As far as the Lammers thing, I will say this: you nailed it. They are two totally different players. Lammers is an old school center but he does have a feathery 15-footer. Mahmoud is a pure forward. The potential is there to be better than Lammers, 100%. Right now, Lammers is extremely productive and I'd argue he'd have better numbers than Mahmoud right now if they were getting the same minutes. But as you said, apples to oranges. Lammers will be 2nd team All-ACC (3rd team at worst) and he deserves it. He's having a huge year.

Last edited:
Especially because we might have a hard time scoring at the rim if they bring their "A" game defensively. They have so much length in there. It's a tough matchup. I was surprised we were so close to beating them last game.

It's not as easy for them to score as it usually is. Mitchell shoots 42%, Snyder 37%, and Adel 39%. That's their 3 leading scorers. If they have to try and score in the halfcourt they struggle. That's why they never beat Virginia.

It's not as easy for them to score as it usually is. Mitchell shoots 42%, Snyder 37%, and Adel 39%. That's their 3 leading scorers. If they have to try and score in the halfcourt they struggle. That's why they never beat Virginia.

Yep. Their D is good (they lead ACC in FG D, and 3-PT D but they don't turn teams over like they typically do). But they are not a great shooting team at all (14th in ACC in 3-pt shooting and FG shooting)... Also terrible FT shooting team.

Last edited:

They can be lethal in transition. Adel runs like a deer. I hope we work on protecting the back line. Those lobs were ridiculous. Mitchell is amazing.

Nothing new...Pitino has been doing this all year. Louisville beat writer thinks that means Anas Mahmoud will get the start.

I'm curious who is going to the bench. Mathiang has not been great since his suspension, so it could be him. Jaylen Johnson played well against Syracuse last game. It's not a huge thing, since Pitino liberally uses his bench but I thought I'd point this out.
He should not play Mitchell the whole game. That would really shake things up. Then think how hungry Mitchell would be when they go to Wake next.

They can be lethal in transition. Adel runs like a deer. I hope we work on protecting the back line. Those lobs were ridiculous. Mitchell is amazing.

I think Pitino was scared to press us up here and speed us up because he didn't want to leave White and Lydon open on the wings for 3's in transitition. At the same time that hurts them because if we are not turning it over the game is going to turn into a good old fashioned slog. I wonder if he zones us like he did up here or decides to pressure Gillon and Battle bringing the ball up.

I think Pitino was scared to press us up here and speed us up because he didn't want to leave White and Lydon open on the wings for 3's in transitition. At the same time that hurts them because if we are not turning it over the game is going to turn into a good old fashioned slog. I wonder if he zones us like he did up here or decides to pressure Gillon and Battle bringing the ball up.

Great post. I'm trying to think, but I can't remember a balls-to-the-wall press against us all year. I'm not sure how well we'd react to it. We are not the best ball handling team in the world. In fact, we have 3 poor subpar handlers in our starting lineup.

Most of the presses we have faced have not been designed to generate turnovers. They've been designed to slow us down and make us start our halfcourt offense later in the clock.

I think Pitino will shuffle up his strategy somehow. Not sure he has a lock down man defender like a Matt Jones, so he might mix and match zone and man out of the press. I could see him experimenting with a few minutes of a frenzied zone press.

Doesn't matter some white, suburban kid will come off the bench and hit 6 threes from 25 feet...as sure as the sun sets in the West...

You mean the former walkon who killed us in overtime? Ryan McMahon. He scored all 7 of his points in OT, including making literally his first FG of the season that WASN'T a 3. He had made 16 3's going into our game and Zero 2's.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand how you can defend stating Mahmoud is better than Lammers at this point in time. Even if you extrapolate Mahmoud's numbers, Lammers' production is superior (although certainly Mahmoud might approach 4 blocks / game). I don't think Mahmoud could stay on the floor for 30+ mpg: he's already averaging close to 3 fouls in roughly 19 mins. Terrible FT shooter to boot.

No question the two are different bigs, but Mahmoud simply hasn't shown enough to justify your position here.

We might as well suggest Taurean Thompson is better than Mahmoud: his scoring and rebounding numbers project much better, and he can knock down FTs. Mahmoud is clearly a better defender, however (really good shot blocker). Mahmoud is a JR, TT a FR - look at their production in similar MPG. Would you posit TT is better than Lammers?

I'm struggling to understand how you can defend stating Mahmoud is better than Lammers at this point in time. Even if you extrapolate Mahmoud's numbers, Lammers' production is superior (although certainly Mahmoud might approach 4 blocks / game). I don't think Mahmoud could stay on the floor for 30+ mpg: he's already averaging close to 3 fouls in roughly 19 mins. Terrible FT shooter to boot.

No question the two are different bigs, but Mahmoud simply hasn't shown enough to justify your position here.

We might as well suggest Taurean Thompson is better than Mahmoud: his scoring and rebounding numbers project much better, and he can knock down FTs. Mahmoud is clearly a better defender, however (really good shot blocker). Mahmoud is a JR, TT a FR - look at their production in similar MPG. Would you posit TT is better than Lammers?
as I made sure to state, it's pretty much apples-to-oranges and depends alot on eye test - but I'd wager that if Mahmmoud was featured to the extent on offense that GT tries to do with Lammers, and if he played the min/game Lammers did, he'd put up better #s... maybe he's not capable of that right now, though, who knows - and also I concede that some of my position amounts to Mahmmoud's potential vs Lammers' potential - i.e., Mahmmoud will be a better pro

as I made sure to state, it's pretty much apples-to-oranges and depends alot on eye test - but I'd wager that if Mahmmoud was featured to the extent on offense that GT tries to do with Lammers, and if he played the min/game Lammers did, he'd put up better #s... maybe he's not capable of that right now, though, who knows - and also I concede that some of my position amounts to Mahmmoud's potential vs Lammers' potential - i.e., Mahmmoud will be a better pro

Yep, on the potential meter, Mahmoud is much better. I do think Lammers will be in the the NBA. He's more mobile than he's given credit for. He's an outstanding shot blocker with smarts and timing. He can shoot a jumper. He does have some post moves.

Lammers really wrecked Lydon on both ends. Lydon wanted no part of him and Lammers had a bum ankle.

Mahmoud is a raw athlete but as I said, plays like a freshman. He almost is one. He didn't play much his freshman year, then missed most of his last year injured. I think he could have a breakout game during March Madness. He oozes potential. He's not there yet.

Mahmoud had a very solid game against us -- 24 minutes, 12 points on 4-6 shooting, led Louisville with 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Mahmoud is going to have a career night if we miss shots. I predict Mahmoud having 15+ boards if White, Battle, and Lydon are shooting less than 45% from three

Mahmoud is going to have a career night if we miss shots. I predict Mahmoud having 15+ boards if White, Battle, and Lydon are shooting less than 45% from three

He won't get enough time to have 15 boards. Pitino shuffles his guys too much.

Why didn't he have 15 boards last game? I mean we shot 8-34 from 3. It can't get much worse than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom