Louisville/Nova | Syracusefan.com

Louisville/Nova

Louisville has fouled nova at least twice on every possession in this game. What a complete mockery of the sport. /rant
As Jay Bilas said "That's not a foul?"

They compared it to hockey and boy are they right. Just another ugly BE game. Glad we are leaving this behind.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

The thing I don't understand - who does this "style" benefit?

It doesn't make the games more watchable. It's not bringing in crowds. Not upping the TV $$$.

I mean, I really don't get why it's in the interests of the NCAA to allow this.

The only thing I can figure is that the talent level is so diluted/diffused that the skill level is so shockingly horrible that thug ball hides it, but I just can't believe that to be true.

The thing I don't understand - who does this "style" benefit?

It doesn't make the games more watchable. It's not bringing in crowds. Not upping the TV $$$.

I mean, I really don't get why it's in the interests of the NCAA to allow this.

The only thing I can figure is that the talent level is so diluted/diffused that the skill level is so shockingly horrible that thug ball hides it, but I just can't believe that to be true.

It benefitted them when an underdog like Butler was able to play this way all the way to the Final Four. Twice.

the problem now is every talentless team (and ones that have talent like Louisville) plays the same style that loveable Butler did...and the games are unwatchable. I'm hoping for a championship game score of like 39-37, because the talking heads on CBS talking about how broken the game is might give the suits at the NCAA reason to address it.

It benefitted them when an underdog like Butler was able to play this way all the way to the Final Four. Twice.
Sure, micro. I'm saying, macro, who benefits?

Unfortunately it is so broken that the essential elements which make watching the game have all but been completely eliminated. It seems like there is rarely a middle ground in terms of officiating. They either let the teams "play on" in which case there is a constant litany of hand checking, uniform tugging and clutching, reach ins, and sumo wrestling in the paint... or the game grind to a virtual halt on account of endless whistles being blown for even the most incidental of contact. "Ticky tacky city" ensues and the game has not flow whatsoever.

Another poster pointed out how Louisville is coming with us to the ACC. They share some of the same refs who call Big East games do they not? I'm not convinced that we won't continue to see poorly called games on both sides of the coin. I guess anything is better than playing in the league which at one time was in favor of giving players 6 fouls instead of 5.

Sure, micro. I'm saying, macro, who benefits?

The ty teams benefit, because it gives them a chance to win games they shouldn't. but we shouldn't really worry about talentless teams having a chance to win.

Sports need to adjust - the Devils won Stanley Cups with a neutral zone trap...but they had offensive firepower so when they created turnovers they could race down the ice and score. Then talentless expansion teams started playing the same way but without any ability to create scoring opportunities off the turnovers, so the game bogged down. which is why they changed the rules in the NHL in 2004, to open up play. The difference here is that the rules already exist, the officials just aren't calling them. The leagues and officials need to overcome the concerns about games with 80 fouls being boring, because it won't take many of them for coaches to adjust and the flow of the game to open up. in some ways the issue is easier - no need to create new rules - but in other ways getting officials and leagues to overcome their biases to address the problem is an even bigger challenge. We'll see this offseason if they're up to it.

The ty teams benefit, because it gives them a chance to win games they shouldn't. but we shouldn't really worry about talentless teams having a chance to win.

Sports need to adjust - the Devils won Stanley Cups with a neutral zone trap...but they had offensive firepower so when they created turnovers they could race down the ice and score. Then talentless expansion teams started playing the same way but without any ability to create scoring opportunities off the turnovers, so the game bogged down. which is why they changed the rules in the NHL in 2004, to open up play. The difference here is that the rules already exist, the officials just aren't calling them. The leagues and officials need to overcome the concerns about games with 80 fouls being boring, because it won't take many of them for coaches to adjust and the flow of the game to open up. in some ways the issue is easier - no need to create new rules - but in other ways getting officials and leagues to overcome their biases to address the problem is an even bigger challenge. We'll see this offseason if they're up to it.
I think you're right that the rules are in place and aren't officiated properly, but I'd really like to see the shot clock get cut down a bit. Even dropping it to 30 seconds would be a dramatic improvement. I see too many teams that don't even bother getting in to their offense on a lot of possessions until they would have already committed a shot clock violation in the NBA. That's horrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom