Love Hughes at point forward w/ Boeheim and Girard on the wings | Syracusefan.com

Love Hughes at point forward w/ Boeheim and Girard on the wings

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
They tried doing it at the end of the game w/Washington in the game, but VT clearly didn't respect his shot and were ignoring him and doubling Elijah. I said to my son that they're ignoring him and I hope they bring Girard back in. A few plays later, they brought Girard back in and Hughes had free reign to go one on one.

Disclaimer: This isn't a HW bash. he and Girard bring different things to the table

Last edited:
Yes it wa sobvious how little VT was respecting HW's shot when Hughes was at the point.

um I don't want to sound like a jerk and I enjoyed the win, but we had an 8 point lead with 3:48 and the coaching was a total fiasco from then on. VT had a possession to win it, and a guy took a terrible shot and we hung on. the coaching was garbage for the last 4 minutes.

JB was on top of it today. Once they ignored HoWash to double Eli, he put JG back in. Then at the end of the game having Marek, Sidibe, Q on the back line with Eli and Buddy up top. Brilliant
I feel like I watched a different game than you

They tried doing it at the end of the game w/Washington in the game, but VT clearly didn't respect his shot and were ignoring him and doubling Elijah. I said to my son that they're ignoring him and I hope they bring Girard back in. A few plays later, they brought Girard back in and Hughes had free reign to go one on one.

Disclaimer: This isn't a HW bash. he and Girard bring different things to the table
Would have liked to see Howard drive and dish that ball at that point of the game.

um I don't want to sound like a jerk and I enjoyed the win, but we had an 8 point lead with 3:48 and the coaching was a total fiasco from then on. VT had a possession to win it, and a guy took a terrible shot and we hung on. the coaching was garbage for the last 4 minutes.
I'm glad you didn't watch UW vs Oregon tonight...

Would have liked to see Howard drive and dish that ball at that point of the game.
drive and dish? what in the hell has happened to this board? howard hasn't "drive and dish" one time in his career but you guys think he would do it in a conference game on the line? did everybody eat crazy pills around here?

I'm as disappointed as you with the loss of lead, VT got hot, but they were using most of the clock, so the zone was good and active and doing what it should, limiting the number of possessions, read opportunities to score and come all the way back. The last minute was definitely won by JB, the man knows how to win close games. I bet opposing coaches hate him for it.

Is that true?

I don't think Washington even had that margin with 3:48 left, did they? Heaven knows they took a beating on here because the lead was larger(albeit at a far larger time point...So I guess by that logic, Syracuse's lack of relative success earlier on in comparison to the UW lead was more admirable, lol. And no, I am not sure if I mentioned UW all season before today, but am discussing odd logic on a message board).

I'm trying to determine if some carry bias. hatred, and a double standard on here.

I suppose we all could choose to be thankful in the vast difference in outcomes of the last moment 3's that got jacked up by Virginia Tech vs SU and Oregon vs Washington.

I'm as disappointed as you with the loss of lead, VT got hot, but they were using most of the clock, so the zone was good and active and doing what it should, limiting the number of possessions, read opportunities to score and come all the way back. The last minute was definitely won by JB, the man knows how to win close games. I bet opposing coaches hate him for it.

Down the strech VTech was getting very easy buckets from inside the lane and along the baseline cause we were selling out trying to cover 3 shooters. I think it was a pick your poison situation and we figured giving up two is better than there. having said that...i dont mind giving a limited scored a wide open look from the free throw line, but we gave that one punk about 3 or 4 shots from half way between the foul line and rim.

I do not know about that, but at about four minutes left and an eight point lead we got the ball and coach had been saying to milk the clock when a player took a shot very quickly(I think it was Buddy). Coach jumped all over the player, thought he was going to blow a gasket. Game would not have evolved the same way if that shot was not taken so early in the clock. it was a pretty big error and certainly was not due to coaching.

Last edited:
I do not know about that, but at about four minutes left and an eight point lead we got the ball and coach had been saying to milk the clock when a player took a shot very quickly(I think it was Buddy). Coach jumped all over the player, thought he was going to blow a gasket. Game would not have evolved the same way if that shot was not taken so early in the clock. it was a pretty big error and certainly was not do to coaching.

I'm probably thinking of a different one, but JG3 had a similar moment when he had the ball in his hands after he was eyeballing the one guy after the foul, and put up a bad shot rather quickly, if I recall corrently. The announcer said the guy got inside of Joe's head, and that appeared to be the case.

Joes deficiencies showed last night. When he is closely guarded by a superior athlete he struggles much as Buddy did last year. Hopefully he will improve year over year but at 6'1 at best and not the quickest he is always going to be at a disadvantage.

So I’m curious. How was the coaching a disaster? What specifically do you think JB did that cost us that lead?

what was the fiasco?

if Buddy was just a bit more athletic he would be the small forward and hughes would be the 2 and that would invert the zone better but he isnt so we cant.

down the stretch we just didnt make shots, we also missed FTs. One thing thats weird is that Buddy isnt solid yet when we need them and neither is Hughes.

I don't think Washington even had that margin with 3:48 left, did they? Heaven knows they took a beating on here because the lead was larger(albeit at a far larger time point...So I guess by that logic, Syracuse's lack of relative success earlier on in comparison to the UW lead was more admirable, lol. And no, I am not sure if I mentioned UW all season before today, but am discussing odd logic on a message board).

I'm trying to determine if some carry bias. hatred, and a double standard on here.

UW had a 7-point lead with 3:00 left and a 16-point lead with 10:00 left. At home, of course.

"Hatred"? LOL...this is a basketball forum - don't be so dramatic. Lighten up, Francis!

if Buddy was just a bit more athletic he would be the small forward and hughes would be the 2 and that would invert the zone better but he isnt so we cant.

down the stretch we just didnt make shots, we also missed FTs. One thing thats weird is that Buddy isnt solid yet when we need them and neither is Hughes.
No its not strange, its tired. Hughes and Buddy were both spent. The tell tale is when you see them shooting without their legs. Its common. Great shooters like these guys can compensate. My coach used to tell us to walk away from the line, take a few dribbles, address the line and then shoot the FT.
Thank goodness we didnt have to play OT.

I was thinking the same thing at the time.

Although I suppose its really hard when you are left that wide open to give up the shot. I'm sure that HW believes he can hit that shot at a reasonable rate and just has to hit the first one or two in a tough situation to open the flood gates. That said, I would have preferred the drive to the hoop.

Hit the shot and you're a hero. Miss it, and well....in this case we over came it.

Last edited:
So I’m curious. How was the coaching a disaster? What specifically do you think JB did that cost us that lead?

what was the fiasco?
Well, they scored and we didn’t so therefore the coaching was garbage. QED.

(I imagine if you get a response it will be something along those lines.)

what was the fiasco?
I thought the coaches and team did a really good job of exploiting miss matches the whole game.

To answer your question, I thought the last timeout and resulting play were awful. They went away from the above statement at the end of the game.

Fiasco is strong for how well the game went, but it didnt need to be that close at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom