Lowest or Worst of our Best player | Syracusefan.com

Lowest or Worst of our Best player

20Plus

What are some of the other low-end number ones we have had and do we think this is another year with that type of player and team??

Who is our number one this year?

Hughes or Quincy?

How low may either rank in the category of SU history of best player on team for a given year?

Most teams when you know who the best player is and they perform at a high-level things can usually shape up pretty well around it. Some teams have success with not the strongest number one but a great core around them but it’s not as prominent in basketball.

If you look at the Detroit Pistons as the only exception in the last 15 years of NBA basketball.

Syracuse in some years we he had 2 or 3 players that could compete for best player.

Some of Syracuse’s is weakest teams have had the lower quality of number one player like Preston Shumpert or Todd Burgan.

What?

That’s a hot take I completely disagree!

I always wish battle was a better passer and play maker but his clutch performance and scoring ability were above average. He was below average in rebounding and assists and in making other players better!

Who would you say were the lowest end top players for Syracuse?

What?

That’s a hot take I completely disagree!

I always wish battle was a better passer and play maker but his clutch performance and scoring ability were above average. He was below average in rebounding and assists and in making other players better!

Look at the numbers. Shumpert specifically blows Tyus out of the water in efficiency and rebounding. Shumpert also averaged more steals and they were about the same in assists.

Look at the numbers. Shumpert specifically blows Tyus out of the water in efficiency and rebounding. Shumpert also averaged more steals and they were about the same in assists.
Three point shooting will always raise efficiency as it should but in terms of opposing teams having to scout him in being prepared to handle the player let’s just say battle is a higher end talent for sure.

But the full question is about this year‘s number one and some of the lowest and number ones in our history are you saying battle is one of the lowest end number one because that’s foolish

Three point shooting will always raise efficiency as it should but in terms of opposing teams having to scout him in being prepared to handle the player let’s just say battle is a higher end talent for sure.

But the full question is about this year‘s number one and some of the lowest and number ones in our history are you saying battle is one of the lowest end number one because that’s foolish

I mean if you go by the success of the team and the numbers yes he's on the low end. Also shooting is kind of important for a 2G. Plus the fact he didn't sniff the NBA draft then I think that backs it up.

I mean if you go by the success of the team and the numbers yes he's on the low end. Also shooting is kind of important for a 2G. Plus the fact he didn't sniff the NBA draft then I think that backs it up.
I hear you but Shumpert did not sniff the NBA either

Battles a better player but this is not entirely what this thread is All about

I hear you but Shumpert did not sniff the NBA either

Battles a better player but this is not entirely what this thread is All about

Well if you're assuming our best player this year will be worse than Battle I don't agree with that either.

I can't speak to the early '80s, but in my experience it'd have to be whichever name you pick for 1997. Hill, Cipolla, or Burgan. Burgan was suspended for 7 games and that was statistically his worst year. (Before Oshae Brissett came along, Burgan's junior year was the worst shooting season for a Boeheim forward. Ever.)

An argument could be made for Battle, too, I guess. His skills didn't really translate on the court. Though to be fair, a lot of the guards who came before him would've looked worse if they'd been surrounded with some of Battle's teammates.

Well if you're assuming our best player this year will be worse than Battle I don't agree with that either.
that’s my premise. I was thinking about who our best player was going to be this year and their ceilings versus our past players

Elijah Hughes’ ceiling is formidable imo, as is Jalen Carey’s. We just need someone other than Buddy to develop further in support, or this team could struggle due to lack of experience/size.

Marek cannot come back at the same weight. We also need either Braswell or Guerrier to be ready to contribute.

Elijah Hughes’ ceiling is formidable imo, as is Jalen Carey’s. We just need someone other than Buddy to develop further in support, or this team could struggle due to lack of experience/size.

Marek cannot come back at the same weight. We also need either Braswell or Guerrier to be ready to contribute.
Quincy is in line for top 2 on this team

Quincy is in line for top 2 on this team
That’d either mean he’s a stud, which he may be, or that Jalen Carey fails to take the leap.

If it’s resultant of door 2 then we are in big big trouble.

That’d either mean he’s a stud, which he may be, or that Jalen Carey fails to take the leap.

If it’s resultant of door 2 then we are in big big trouble.

Both of those things could be true.

Not sure that your last sentence is 100% true, if someone else like Goodine emerges at lead guard.

Gerry Sophomore-Senior year wins this. His play when he wasn't the teams best player as a freshman make him a legend of course.

Gerry Sophomore-Senior year wins this. His play when he wasn't the teams best player as a freshman make him a legend of course.

But he played with Warrick for two of those years.

And even in his senior year, as much as I'm not part of the whole "McNamara as messiah" crowd, I kind of think he and Devendorf were probably better players than Battle.

Uhhh Hakim Warrick was a little better than Gerry his sophomore and junior years.

He also more than made up for it his Senior year in the BET.

The Donte Greene year is an interesting one. He was our leading scorer that year - but lots of young talent getting serious playing time (Devo, Flynn, AO, Harris). I'm not sure how to rank that one

That team was just decimated by injuries, which I think made people unfairly critical of Donte and company. If Rautins and Devendorf are healthy, we are easily in the tournament. But we were basically going 6 deep for most of the year, and four of those players were freshmen.

That team was just decimated by injuries, which I think made people unfairly critical of Donte and company. If Rautins and Devendorf are healthy, we are easily in the tournament. But we were basically going 6 deep for most of the year, and four of those players were freshmen.
Don't forget Scoop was suspended a couple games that year too.

The Donte Greene year is an interesting one. He was our leading scorer that year - but lots of young talent getting serious playing time (Devo, Flynn, AO, Harris). I'm not sure how to rank that one

I thought Flynn was the best player on the team that year.

Heard today 2nd hand from someone who talked to Jim it is likely Quincy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom