Lunardi egg on his face re Iowa... | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi egg on his face re Iowa...

bpo57

Living Legend
He calls them a lock. They're 19-12. Finished 9-10 in the B1G, lost six of their last seven including tonight against Northwestern. I can see them getting in but How are they a lock?

He calls them a lock. They're 19-12. Finished 9-10 in the B1G, lost six of their last seven including tonight against Northwestern. I can see them getting in but How are they a lock?

Well, if you believe the lemming commentary about the B1G being the best conference, then...

They're actually 20-12 but I'm disgusted. To be honest, I don't care if they do get in now. (My dad is an Iowa alum so they are probably my 2nd favorite team.

He also just said on Twitter that if Cuse wins ACCT they are still not a one seed. Because there "are only four spots".

He's a total clown who seems to be losing all credibility this year (if he ever had any).

Who did they beat Xavier? Michigan?

He also just said on Twitter that if Cuse wins ACCT they are still not a one seed. Because there "are only four spots".

He's a total clown who seems to be losing all credibility this year (if he ever had any).
If we win the ACCT we will be 30-4 with two losses coming on the road against top 10 teams, and playing without one of our best players down the stretch this season.

He's smoking something if he doesn't think that's a #1 seed's resume.

Lunardi is awful--and has been for a long time.

He deserves credit only for kicking off the bracketology trend. Others are better at it than he is. He's like Mel Kiper--who in my book deserves credit for being the impetus behind widespread interest in the NFL draft, but who isn't particularly accurate in his projections.

That was their first bad loss of the season. They have 4 top 50 wins (albeit amongst 12 games). They have a satisfactory performance in the 51-100 category.

Iowa had a really difficult B10 schedule... they got the shaft in terms of the unbalanced schedule. In the B10, there are 4 teams you don't get to play twice - for Iowa that included Nebraska, Indiana, Penn St and Purdue. They played all the top teams twice (with the possible exception of Nebraska if you want to include them there).

Compare them to Minnesota, who is seen as one of the last outs right now. If they win tomorrow against Wisconsin they would be see as in.

- Minnesota is 9-10 vs Iowa 9-10 in the B10. Iowa has a slightly tougher schedule in terms of balance. Minny did not have to play Michigan St, Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana twice. After tonight they are both 9-10, with Iowa having a slightly harder schedule.

- Minny has 3 top 50 wins, vs Iowa's 4.top 50 wins

- Minny has 2 bad losses vs Iowa having 1 bad loss.

- Neither has any outstanding OOC wins (Florida St vs Xavier)

Iowa has the edge in everything. Not big, but enough to see why they are in and Minny is out (Similar conference record, one more top win, one less bad loss).

As for losing six of your last seven. The losses are relevant of course, but the timing does not matter in terms of what the committee looks at. No emphasis is placed on last 10 games anymore.

I'm putting Iowa at 97% to get in. And Minnesota will get in if they win tomorrow as well.

Well, if you believe the lemming commentary about the B1G being the best conference, then...

Whether it's lemming commentary or not, in terms of the numbers used for selection (and the ability to generate top 50 games within conference) the B10 is the second best conference right behind the B12. The numbers like them.

Whether it's lemming commentary or not, in terms of the numbers used for selection (and the ability to generate top 50 games within conference) the B10 is the second best conference right behind the B12. The numbers like them.

Is that because several of these teams were rated highly at the beginning of the year--including Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin who were all at one time top 5 teams [at one time, Iowa was also highly rated, but we know how their season turned out]--or because their performance on the court warranted the "numbers?" Because from where I sit, the B1G is the most overrated conference in college basketball.

A rebuilding Michigan team won the regular season title. Talk about an overrated conference... unless you buy into the fallacy that MSU is still elite.

The B1G isn't nearly as good as proclaimed. Trust me--I live in Big 10 country, I'm married to an enthusiastic B1G alum, and have watched the teams in this conference play all year long.

Last edited:
Is that because several of these teams were rated highly at the beginning of the year--including Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin who were all at one time top 5 teams [at one time, Iowa was also highly rated, but we know how their season turned out]--or because their performance on the court warranted the "numbers?" Because from where I sit, the B1G is the most overrated conference in college basketball.

A rebuilding Michigan team won the regular season title. Talk about an overrated conference... unless you buy into the fallacy that MSU is still elite.

The B1G isn't nearly as good as proclaimed. Trust me--I live in Big 10 country and have watched the teams in this conference play all year long.

I agree that it is overrated - your assessment may well be valid from what you have seen and watched.

But the numbers are good in terms of "RPI" I hate the RPI, but it is what they use. . 7 of the 12 schools are in the top 51 in RPI, so that generates many resume type victories against top 50 teams, for all its members. That is not influenced by preaseason rankings.

I agree that it is overrated - your assessment may well be valid from what you have seen and watched.

But the numbers are good in terms of "RPI" I hate the RPI, but it is what they use. . 7 of the 12 schools are in the top 51 in RPI, so that generates many resume type victories against top 50 teams, for all its members. That is not influenced by preaseason rankings.

I get it--I just think that this is a perfect examples of why the "numbers" are bunk, and don't tell the entire story.

Other than Wisconsin [just because of how well they shoot it as a team], there isn't one team in the ostensible best conference in college basketball I fear. Not one--and that includes Wisconsin [I just think that they would be tough to match up with, given our defensive system]. There is no doubt in my mind that we'd beat MSU, Iowa, OSU, or any other team from that conference.

They epitomize mediocrity, and it drives me nuts to see the credit their given when reality is that they basically are collectively quite average.

That was their first bad loss of the season. They have 4 top 50 wins (albeit amongst 12 games). They have a satisfactory performance in the 51-100 category.

Iowa had a really difficult B10 schedule... they got the shaft in terms of the unbalanced schedule. In the B10, there are 4 teams you don't get to play twice - for Iowa that included Nebraska, Indiana, Penn St and Purdue. They played all the top teams twice (with the possible exception of Nebraska if you want to include them there).

Compare them to Minnesota, who is seen as one of the last outs right now. If they win tomorrow against Wisconsin they would be see as in.

- Minnesota is 9-10 vs Iowa 9-10 in the B10. Iowa has a slightly tougher schedule in terms of balance. Minny did not have to play Michigan St, Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana twice. After tonight they are both 9-10, with Iowa having a slightly harder schedule.

Iowa has the edge in everything. Not big, but enough to see why they are in and Minny is out (Similar conference record, one more top win, one less bad loss).

As for losing six of your last seven. The losses are relevant of course, but the timing does not matter in terms of what the committee looks at. No emphasis is placed on last 10 games anymore.

I'm putting Iowa at 97% to get in. And Minnesota will get in if they win tomorrow as well.

Fair points. They played a tough sked- didn't win many though. I think they'll get in too but have a hard time understanding how they are a lock and Pitt is on the bubble. Is the B1G that much better than the ACC?

Btw I don't believe for a second that the Committee isn't influenced by how you have played lately. Don't care what they say.

Fair points. They played a tough sked- didn't win many though. I think they'll get in too but have a hard time understanding how they are a lock and Pitt is on the bubble. Is the B1G that much better than the ACC?

Btw I don't believe for a second that the Committee isn't influenced by how you have played lately. Don't care what they say.

The big difference between them and Pitt, is the 4 top 50 wins vs 1. They were somewhat similar in that they had no bad losses... until today of course. As they are OK in that 51-100 category, its almost like 4-1 vs 1-0...

Is the B10 really better? I don't think so, but that is why it is so important for conferences to do well before end of December... it dictates the numbers for the conference for the rest of the year. B10 has 7 of 12 in the top 50, and ACC has 5 of 15. Are Minnesota/Nebraska/Iowa that much better than say Clemson/Maryland/Pitt/NC St... not really IMO, but the RPI says so (and that matters) That limits the number of top 50 victories a team like Pitt can get.

The resume is not that good, but as I mentioned
- its better than Minnesota and Nebraska (who is already seen as in by most)

Finally, I don't disagree on your final point. The committee is not supposed to look at end of season performance. I'm sure some follow the rules, others do not.

Lunardi is awful--and has been for a long time.

He deserves credit only for kicking off the bracketology trend. Others are better at it than he is. He's like Mel Kiper--who in my book deserves credit for being the impetus behind widespread interest in the NFL draft, but who isn't particularly accurate in his projections.
Did he kick it off? I remember making weekly brackets when I was in HS with some friends back in the 90's. I can't imagine it wasn't being done before Lunardi.

Did he kick it off? I remember making weekly brackets when I was in HS with some friends back in the 90's. I can't imagine it wasn't being done before Lunardi.

He was the one who popularized it.

Didnt Kiper say something to the effect that if that stiff qb from notre dame clausen didnt make it big in the nfl, that he would quit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom