luncheon comments | Syracusefan.com

luncheon comments

upperdeck

Living Legend
Hearing what OE said makes it pretty clear the coaches know they need some game changers. It also makes you wonder about the plan coming in. Did they think they had to get a handle on the Defense, get more players, and game manage the offense.. It sure looks like it played out that way.

The offense has tried to limit its mistakes, and when it done that we have won or stayed in games. I think it also shows that where they want to take the offense has been limited by what they have to use. More depth at QB means we can be more aggressive in running the QB. More speed at WR, means more shots down field. More athletic RBs, more plays in space. Even this year with 2 RB's that can spread the D we were starting to see what they have in mind. Add to that the QBs down the road all seem to be able to run/throw you can run the stallion/option/designed draws.

Going back now and look at the losses.
Minn/USF/UL. rutgers this year. limit the mistakes and we probably win all those games even with the limit weapons on offense.

The coaches actually saying it shows they have a vision much more in tune to what people here seem to want. The difference is they had a day to day viewing of what we can probably try and this board wants to try it site unseen.

I think we have gone from (c,d) type talent on defense to (b,b+) in 2 years. I think on offense we are still (c,b) with some B+ potential guys here or coming. Its the next step in the evolution. We just need the one guy why sees the potential for playing time and we can show almost all the positions have room..

I think we have gone from (c,d) type talent on defense to (b,b+) in 2 years. I think on offense we are still (c,b) with some B+ potential guys here or coming. Its the next step in the evolution. We just need the one guy why sees the potential for playing time and we can show almost all the positions have room..

There are some schools that have C guys and are in the Top 50 for O. We take the C guys and barely crack the Top 100. Sorry but that is an issue. Also to HAVE to play mistake free FB to win a game is very very difficult to do. The coaches are making things harder.

I think it's more than 1 guy. I think we need 1 unit to step up. Whether that is WRs, RBs, OL, DE, LBs, CBs. Doesn't matter which but would make the rest of the team better. Looked like QB was answered but now that defenses have film on us not as much. DE's looked great in preseason but may have well been a result of OL in certain spots that they were going against. CB's would look better if our DE's didnt allow opposing QBs didnt have all day to work. CBs would be better in WRs were showing them something in practice close to what they're seeing on game day. WRs would look better if they were getting abused by CBs in practice like opposing DB's have been doing for long stretches in games.

Iron sharpens Iron... we need one unit (position) to be exceptional and the rest of the team to build around them. No idea who it will be but Chan Jones coming back to what has been pretty solid DT play could answer some of it on defense.

Not sure I follow some of the theoretical stuff above -- having one unit become exceptional in the near term is magical thinking.
Coaches have to work with what they have, & make incremental improvements in each unit.
For DL -- With Chandler's return, the third down pass rush gets better as one of the DEs can slide inside. Upgrade to the pass rush is single best thing that could happen for this team.
For LB -- continued progress of the kids.
For DBs -- get healthy; Lyn has talent and the opportunity to learn from his mistakes.
We don't have an overpowering defense, but it isn't as bad as it looked vs. Tulane and should get better.
On offense -- a larger role for Graham and Moore. Some wrinkles other than rolling out and throwing underneath to Provo. There aren't a lot of personnel moves that can be made (unless you give Alexander a chance to push Hay). You might use one of the kids (West or Foster) as a new flanker and vary the passing game on occasion by starting Chew or Lemon from a slot and letting Graham or Bailey go deep. We don't have a magical bullet (a lightly used frosh who can be a game-breaker), so the coaching staff needs to use our best guys (Chew, Lemon, Graham or Bailey) in new ways.

Not sure I follow some of the theoretical stuff above -- having one unit become exceptional in the near term is magical thinking.
Coaches have to work with what they have, & make incremental improvements in each unit.
For DL -- With Chandler's return, the third down pass rush gets better as one of the DEs can slide inside. Upgrade to the pass rush is single best thing that could happen for this team.
For DBs -- get healthy; Lyn has talent and the opportunity to learn from his mistakes.
We don't have an overpowering defense, but it isn't as bad as it looked vs. Tulane and should get better.
On offense -- a larger role for Graham and Moore. Some wrinkles other than rolling out and throwing underneath to Provo. There aren't a lot of personnel moves that can be made (unless you give Alexander a chance to push Hay). You might use one of the kids (West or Foster) as a new flanker and vary the passing game on occasion by starting Chew or Lemon from a slot and letting Graham or Bailey go deep. We don't have a magical bullet (a lightly used frosh who can be a game-breaker), so the coaching staff needs to use our best guys (Chew, Lemon, Graham or Bailey) in new ways.

What about Kobena? We know he has speed. Any cognoscenti with inside dope?

Wasn't talking near term as in overnight, just in general. I think we'll have a pretty good team next year based on progressions but would be nice to have at least one unit have to be accounted for by opposing coorinators every week.

IF Graham can step up the rest of the year, or Chan can come back and be the force that we've all hyped him up to be we could see it this year. Aside from that, we are what we are and will continue to compete and play (and hopefull win) ugly games.

IMO the biggest problem for our pass rush is scheme. We have seen little to no Okie this year. We have gone with a 3-4 look this year, which simply hasn't worked. It has moved our DEs inside instead of outside, which hurts, and we haven't brought as many guys as in the past (usually just an OLB off the corner if anything). Heck we haven't even shown the 7 man front like we usually do. What was so great about the Okie was the O had no clue which of the 7 were coming. Also we overloaded the C with 3 guys and each T with 2 guys. Simple numbers mismatch. But this year we have mostly played a 3-4 with the 4 LBs staying in a zone, leaving the 3 DL to create a rush.

First we need an effective Okie...we haven't seen that yet...hopefully a week from Friday is a start.

There are some schools that have C guys and are in the Top 50 for O. We take the C guys and barely crack the Top 100. Sorry but that is an issue. Also to HAVE to play mistake free FB to win a game is very very difficult to do. The coaches are making things harder.

This mistake free football is a thing of the past, coaches with good offenses are much more willing to live with mistakes for quick scoring strikes. For me the dip and dunk stuff, requires painstaking precision that you dont you will ever find in the college game.

Hey if you have talent like Bama and LSU, its simple keep the scheme very simple and out athlete everyone. The premise of out executing is sound, its just what they are trying to execute is too damn difficult and asks a QB to perform outside his skill set, IMO

I think getting Chandler back will be huge for the defense, I really do

The coaches actually saying it shows they have a vision much more in tune to what people here seem to want. The difference is they had a day to day viewing of what we can probably try and this board wants to try it site unseen.

That's fine. But when the offensive gameplan for two straight weeks has not been close to being achieved, I'll trade a vision in for a plan that has a realistic plan of execution with the talent we have...which by the way, is fairly veteran ladened.

Otherwise, vision without execution is hallucination.

The defense this year has vastly exceeded my expectations. The offense has been a disaster. Thank God for the defense, because otherwise this year would be a fiasco. I'm no football coach, but I can see that what we do offensively doesn't work. I'm really unclear what the vision is, I thought the plan was to run an offense like the Saints run...but the play calling we see is nothing like that. We have no offense identity.

I thought the plan was to run an offense like the Saints run...but the play calling we see is nothing like that.
That offense runs a lot better when you have Drew Breese in the lineup.

The next set of QBs are more in that style. Hopefully they'll be as talented.

The next set of QBs are more in that style. Hopefully they'll be as talented.

They are? Brees isn't anything like Hunt/Miller/Kinder/Broyld. If anything, Nassib is the most like Brees. Both are pocket passers.

This mistake free football is a thing of the past, coaches with good offenses are much more willing to live with mistakes for quick scoring strikes. For me the dip and dunk stuff, requires painstaking precision that you dont you will ever find in the college game.

If our dip and dunk was netting 5 or 6 yards vs 3 that would make all the difference. Provo running his routes 2 yards deeper, straightening out the slants a bit, etc. Hitting every other play would us in 3rd and 3 or 4 vs 3rd and 7 which is much easier to make as well as avoiding as many 3rd downs if we do hit the plays on 1st and 2nd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom