M2M Defense | Syracusefan.com

M2M Defense

SpringsCuse

Walk On
Since St. Rose will obviously be overmatched tomorrow, what are the odds Syracuse plays some man-to-man defense? Although hopefully not enough to lead to another Le Moyne-like debacle. On the other hand, that season turned out very well in the end.

With the lack of guards it would be surprising to see much man or press D.

Since St. Rose will obviously be overmatched tomorrow, what are the odds Syracuse plays some man-to-man defense? Although hopefully not enough to lead to another Le Moyne-like debacle. On the other hand, that season turned out very well in the end.
M2M? I'd expect to see them work on the press at this early stage, to get the guys in the habit of pushing up the tempo. But Man? Not sure I'd see the point.

From what I've heard, it's strategically similar to zone, with some tactical deviations that are mostly match-up concepts thrown in with help-side principles.

Very low

We have the personnel to be a really good pressing team. JB experimented with the press in early games a lot last season.

I expect to see it a lot early this season too. Though the injury situation at PG might prevent that from happening...

Nil. Don't think JB wants his big fellas chasing their small fellas all over the floor.

OTOH St Rose is going to be EXPECTING us to play Zone.
Good point. They're also expecting SU to play five guys on the floor.

Time to unleash the four-man team. Opens up spacing on the floor.

Good point. They're also expecting SU to play five guys on the floor.

Time to unleash the four-man team. Opens up spacing on the floor.

Hopkins once spoke of the half court hook shot being installed as a main pillar of the offense. I wonder if that went with him to Washington or if we could maybe see it tonight. Totally blitz St. Rose’s game prep and maybe use the surprise to get out to a little lead early?

We couldn't even get out of October without a man defense thread. That has to be a record.

Extremely low.

I'd expect us to press more, though, and to look to trap much more often.

That's the benefit of having 9 guys who can all play -- fresher legs, not a big deal if you expend more energy on defense.

We couldn't even get out of October without a man defense thread. That has to be a record.

Well, at least I have a resume highlight now. “Set a record associated with a major sports team.”

I’m aware there’s 0% chance Syracuse plays man in the regular season. But I’ve heard JB say they play M2M regularly in practice, so it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to think they might use it in an exhibition. I’m not advocating man whatsoever, the zone is why Syracuse’s defense is as good as it is.

Well, at least I have a resume highlight now. “Set a record associated with a major sports team.”

I’m aware there’s 0% chance Syracuse plays man in the regular season. But I’ve heard JB say they play M2M regularly in practice, so it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to think they might use it in an exhibition. I’m not advocating man whatsoever, the zone is why Syracuse’s defense is as good as it is.
They play man in practice so they can work against the defense they will go up against in most games.

They play man in practice so they can work against the defense they will go up against in most games.
Understood, but it wouldn’t hurt to learn to play it better, it might help to improve the offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom