Mackey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mackey

I was one of those people who rolled his eyes on signing him then hearing he won the starting nod.

Man how damn wrong I was. Just shows you why football combines and 40 times fail to measure key reasons why the Macky's succeed and perhaps why more talented players don't. Passion, heart, drive.

What a great story. How big was he when he stepped on campus, again? Anybody got the numbers? He was truly the little engine that could...bravo.

Bless that little SoB. Did you see him standing next to Hageman
at the beginning of the game?

Bless that little SoB. Did you see him standing next to Hageman
at the beginning of the game?
Hageman dwarfs just about everyone he stands next to... and yes, I did see that! That dude is huge (6'6", 315 lbs), but didn't have much impact on the game... the only times I even noticed him was on 2 run plays where he made good stops. Otherwise, I didn't notice him in the game.

And let's not forget his clutch fumble recovery in the BC game that kept our final drive going and got us into today's bowl game.
The most overlooked part of that play is that Mackey was in a position to recover the fumble because of his hustle pursuing the play downfield to block. Late in a game when they're gassed, a lot of OL would have given up on that play after their initial block at the LOS.

I was one of those people who rolled his eyes on signing him then hearing he won the starting nod.

Man how damn wrong I was. Just shows you why football combines and 40 times fail to measure key reasons why the Macky's succeed and perhaps why more talented players don't. Passion, heart, drive.
I have made a lot of mistakes in my life and on this board none bigger than my assestment of Mac. He is what is good about college football and life in general. He was given an opportunity and made the very best of it. Coming from the stock he did i should never have questioned his ability to get it done. Heart and work ethic at a level not often seen. Way to go Mac best of luck in the future!

Hageman dwarfs just about everyone he stands next to... and yes, I did see that! That dude is huge (6'6", 315 lbs), but didn't have much impact on the game... the only times I even noticed him was on 2 run plays where he made good stops. Otherwise, I didn't notice him in the game.

Yeah, the announcers were talking him up pretty good at the start of the game. Late in the game I was thinking "whatever happened to the Minn lineman that was supposed to be so dominating?"
Our O line really made him a non-factor in this game.

been eating a lot of crow because of macky the past 2 seasons-

I think an NFL team takes a flyer on him. He's the Russell Wilson of centers. He won't get taller but I wonder how much good weight he can gain. If a guy can give up a couple inches on the o-line it's at center. His pro day numbers will be very important, and I hope he gets an invite to the combine but it may not happen.

Myself and A lot of very good posters and fb people were wrong on Mackey. I was extremely skeptical especially after his freshman season. Glad to be very wrong in this one.

They need to find a place in the fb program for him. Like now.

didnt hcss say he wants him as a grad assistant?

i can also se him getting a gig as a long snapper on sundays

He is the same height and weights 12 lbs less than Jeff Saturday .. he should get a shot.

Definition of class act. Feels good to have a hometown kid who Syracuse was literally his dream school first develop into the player he has, and represent Syracuse the way he has. Absolutely phenomenal.

Oh by the way he basically shut down a future 1st round draft pick who dwarfed him. That's how you go out in style Mackey!!!
I'm basically rehashing what you all have said. He's a class act on and off the field. This team was very unified and Macky had a lot to do with that. His intangibles will be tough to replace. But I wouldn't be surprised if Macky has mentored others to step in next season. Good luck Macky, we'll be following you wherever your career takes you.

So happy we could send him out with a win. He is the definition of a Syracuse guy through and through. This was perfect

Macky MacPherson ‏@MackyMacPherson7m
Ever since I was a kid, my biggest dream was to play football for Syracuse University. I have been… http://instagram.com/p/ic5ZuPApj6/

ic5ZuPApj6

Make sure to read his comment on the side of the instagram link (i don't have IG so couldn't copy photo)

Great kid from a great family. Hope at some point he comes back to the program...

He really made himself into a good D1 center which I would never have thought possible given the beginning he had (was forced to play too early, no doubt). Part of this transformation had to do with the transformation of his body. I am not sure he has the frame to carry the weight he has had to put on and from the perspective of his long term health I hope he gets back to a more normal body weight for him. I don't think he can play center in the NFL at any weight and maybe he can long snap at 220 or 230 if that is what he wants to do?