Magic Johnson out in LA | Syracusefan.com

Magic Johnson out in LA

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Seems that he isn't a very good GM after all, is he?

He and LeBron put together a team full of old hacks, and let some good young players go, over Luke Walton's protests.

Team doesn't make the playoffs, discarded players excel for new teams.
LeBron and Magic try to force out Luke Walton, a Jeannie Buss favorite.

Now Magic "quits" as president of basketball operations?
I think Jeannie decided to get a real GM, and not waste LeBron's last couple years with a crappy supporting cast and a boot-licker of LeBron's choosing as the new coach.

Jeannie Buss is hard as nails. She has been through power struggles just to get the team away from her brothers. She's seen enough, and she's back in charge.

Your thoughts?

22.jpg

I don't know how much i can fault Magic. He did sign the premier player of the generation. Maybe a couple of years 'late,' but Magic isn't magic. I thought the 'old hacks' were just a bridge to 2019-20. But, Lebron's star may be tarnished, and the players they thought they could get to make the team competitive just haven't been so willing to go play second-fiddle to Lebron. Maybe Lebron isn't quite the draw everyone thinks he is. Maybe there are some control and personality issues there.

KD went to Golden State, won-won, and now is rumored to want to leave because it's not his team. The other guys Lebron needs might feel the same. Only Davis is really out in the open about wanting to come to play with Lebron, and it would've taken emptying the roster to get him.

Jeannie Buss has been in control for how long? And how long is the Lakers' playoffless streak?

Next year was supposed to be the viable Lakers year, but without Davis, there isn't a clear path to an upgrade. A lot of injuries this season. They would have made the playoffs this year with reasonable health.

I don't know how much i can fault Magic. He did sign the premier player of the generation. Maybe a couple of years 'late,' but Magic isn't magic. I thought the 'old hacks' were just a bridge to 2019-20. But, Lebron's star may be tarnished, and the players they thought they could get to make the team competitive just haven't been so willing to go play second-fiddle to Lebron. Maybe Lebron isn't quite the draw everyone thinks he is. Maybe there are some control and personality issues there.

KD went to Golden State, won-won, and now is rumored to want to leave because it's not his team. The other guys Lebron needs might feel the same. Only Davis is really out in the open about wanting to come to play with Lebron, and it would've taken emptying the roster to get him.

Jeannie Buss has been in control for how long? And how long is the Lakers' playoffless streak?

Next year was supposed to be the viable Lakers year, but without Davis, there isn't a clear path to an upgrade. A lot of injuries this season. They would have made the playoffs this year with reasonable health.

She has gotten off incredibly easy in the recent debacle years ... it was her brother that was the problem , right ? Hmm maybe they had it backwards .. or maybe they all sucked

Giving anyone credit for bringing LeBron to LA is a stretch - he was going to the Lakers, even if my dog was GM. The question that has to be answered is who built this year's debacle - Team LeBron or Team Magic?

Again I put the problem on ownership inability to tell legends that it is time to ride off. Kobe killed them and Magic is over his head in a front office position. Ownership needs to own that and move on, sort of like some of us feel about SU hoops and the SU connections for the next coach.

Seems that he isn't a very good GM after all, is he?

He and LeBron put together a team full of old hacks, and let some good young players go, over Luke Walton's protests.

Team doesn't make the playoffs, discarded players excel for new teams.
LeBron and Magic try to force out Luke Walton, a Jeannie Buss favorite.

Now Magic "quits" as president of basketball operations?
I think Jeannie decided to get a real GM, and not waste LeBron's last couple years with a crappy supporting cast and a boot-licker of LeBron's choosing as the new coach.

Jeannie Buss is hard as nails. She has been through power struggles just to get the team away from her brothers. She's seen enough, and she's back in charge.

Your thoughts?
he wasn't the gm, he was the team president. and if you parse through his impromptu press conference and several rambling mini interviews afterward, he gives the impression that he did not like or get along with the actual gm, rob pelinka, and may have wanted him fired along with luke walton