Malik Brown Tennessee Offer | Syracusefan.com

Malik Brown Tennessee Offer

They must be making a huge push to get him to check out the campus so they could let their new facilities speak for themselves . Wasn't he deciding between tenn and nc st for his final visit next weekend. They probably sealed it up. I am am sure he will love what he sees. Cue painted rock with jersey

Ask David Oku how that worked out.
You can say the same thing about every program including SU for some kids.

FLA kid getting a lot of attention now. TN is closer. TN football is off the charts there even in down years. I suspect that he is gone. Put yourself in his shoes - 18 years old - FLA kid - TN and everything it offers from a football perspective - take off the Orange glasses - almost a no brainer for the kid.

not sure i understand, where does he say he's visiting Tennessee?

You can say the same thing about every program including SU for some kids.

FLA kid getting a lot of attention now. TN is closer. TN football is off the charts there even in down years. I suspect that he is gone. Put yourself in his shoes - 18 years old - FLA kid - TN and everything it offers from a football perspective - take off the Orange glasses - almost a no brainer for the kid.
sounds like you should be a tennesee fan then

plus since 2011 they have signed 5 and 2 verbals that = 7 D.E. rated much higher than him.They have recruited very well at that position

have you watched lately tennessee has been terrible

Yet, they averaged 80,000+ for home games. If he takes a visit there with the opportunity to play SEC teams week in and week out and for all the reasons VAOrange gave, it would be even more of a coup for Syracuse to land him.

have you watched lately tennessee has been terrible
Yes - I should be a TN fan - very educated post. Why did they offer him this weekend if they don't like him? And you - being the TN recruiting expert - know that they are all better than he is why?

Yes - I have watched TN play badly as my post indicated by saying even in down years. But TN is TN and for football the experience is off the charts. People here are too easily insulted when people mention that places like Clemson and TN offer things for a 18 year old football recruit that SU will NEVER come close to offering. For the same reasons SU basketball wins when it can bring in a kid for a game attended by 34K and offer the chance to play in front of 1oK more than the biggest NBA crowd.

Some things cannot be debated and the "SU is a better school, SU is......" does not always matter to an 18 year old on an October Saturday surrounded by 100K a week after being in a half filled Dome to watch SU struggle against Stoney Brook. Especially when the kids are not from households where college is a given and where the football experience is a more obvious attraction than the academics (Miami became a dynasty because of this). Not to mention the people out here who think that all big southern schools are horrible despite many offering world class majors in many things.

Seriously - you can be a SU fan, a SU grad and understand that at some point there are times when big time football programs come knocking, KIDS listen.

Phat - he received a TN offer this weekend.

Yes - I should be a TN fan - very educated post. Why did they offer him this weekend if they don't like him? And you - being the TN recruiting expert - know that they are all better than he is why?

Yes - I have watched TN play badly as my post indicated by saying even in down years. But TN is TN and for football the experience is off the charts. People here are too easily insulted when people mention that places like Clemson and TN offer things for a 18 year old football recruit that SU will NEVER come close to offering. For the same reasons SU basketball wins when it can bring in a kid for a game attended by 34K and offer the chance to play in front of 1oK more than the biggest NBA crowd.

Some things cannot be debated and the "SU is a better school, SU is......" does not always matter to an 18 year old on an October Saturday surrounded by 100K a week after being in a half filled Dome to watch SU struggle against Stoney Brook. Especially when the kids are not from households where college is a given and where the football experience is a more obvious attraction than the academics (Miami became a dynasty because of this). Not to mention the people out here who think that all big southern schools are horrible despite many offering world class majors in many things.

Seriously - you can be a SU fan, a SU grad and understand that at some point there are times when big time football programs come knocking, KIDS listen.

Don't forget TN gave all GA could handle ... its not like this team was so bad that they couldn't compete.

So, by your logic no kid should ever come to Syracuse??

TN is a great program. So is Syracuse. No need for the inferiority complex. If he chooses TN, we'll be fine.

Tennesse has been on Malik since Butch Jones took over there. He has so far rebuffed visiting them - even though they've visited him in school. Maybe the in-home has swayed him to visit Tenny but so far both recruiting sites put up articles tonight an neither has said he'll visit.

Anybody who's closely followed his recruitment knows how much he loves Coach Shafer. I still have a hard time thinking he'll flip because he has been so excited (and vocal) about playing defense for Shafer but who can say. We'll see what happens but I think Butch Jones will have his 2nd offer to Malik turned down as well.

Quasi random, but in an article in today's SBJ, Tennessee attendance was the worst last year since 1979 and program is bleeding money.

Have to think it is an amazing place to play football though.

Quasi random, but in an article in today's SBJ, Tennessee attendance was the worst last year since 1979 and program is bleeding money.

ROCKY TOP!

How can program be bleeding money? "Worst attendance" for them means, what, average of 70K per game? Tack on low tuition costs etc. and I can't see how they could ever bleed money.

the ATH dept can be losing money even of the Fball team is creating a profit.

the ATH dept can be losing money even of the Fball team is creating a profit.

Would agree. They drew 80K a year for the average this year, but they are in an awkward time. They have apparently put big money in renovations and have seen their 3 money drawing sports (football, basketball, baseball) all struggle badly, which has an effect on attendance and revenue.

was just coming to post this but Timkay beat me. Here's the juicy part:

Now, after staggering to losing football seasons in four of the last five years and seeing attendance drop to levels last seen in the 1970s, the Vols find themselves mired in more than $200 million of debt, the most in the SEC, with reserves of just $1.95 million, the least in the conference.

The athletic department spends a startling $21 million a year on debt payments, $13.5 million of which comes from the school’s stressed $99.5 million athletic budget and the rest from donations.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/01/28/Colleges/Tennessee.aspx

If he goes, he goes. If you don't want to be here fine, Mcdonald will get someone else. Maybe Batten moves to the other side.