Maliq Brown doing Maliq Brown things | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown doing Maliq Brown things

Sbucketball

All Conference
Red put it well when he said “Maliq Brown doing Maliq Brown things”.

He’s so steady, but one thing that’s huge is that in games we manage to close out there’s always a sequence during end-game where Maliq pokes the ball loose on D and takes it for a transition dunk. Happened to close Colgate, Cornell, Georgetown and maybe others. It’s breaks their back right when we need it.

I’m a huge Maliq fan, he can disappear sometimes and gets caught reaching in a few times a game. But he’s rarely in real foul trouble - he knows what he can get away with and he could lead the ACC in steals.

He was also more aggressive on offense. He showed a couple mid-range drives.
those offensive 1v1 takes were huge. The middle was wide open after kicking out a few times, Red adjusted and told him to do a quick move down low.

He’s a four year player and his offensive game is steadily expanding. By late junior or senior year he might show some range. Quietly has made 9/10 FTs after having poor numbers last year.

I’m a huge Maliq fan, he can disappear sometimes and gets caught reaching in a few times a game. But he’s rarely in real foul trouble - he knows what he can get away with and he could lead the ACC in steals.
He often isn’t credited with a steal when he pokes it loose too. If someone counted up all his steals, steals he contributes to, and forced turnovers, he would probably lead the ACC.

IMO Maliq wasn't himself earlier in the season -but he's on his game now.
That and JJ's "arrival" today are reasons for much more optimism.
Today's game was fun to watch, left me with a "buzz" that reminded me of the Good Old Days of SU hoops!

The Brown family had to be happy today! I’m sure they made the short drive up from Culpepper because the announcer said how many tickets he had to obtain.

1702165742783.jpeg

Maliq’s field goal percentage after 12 games is 75.9%. And he’s also our best free throw shooter at 85.7%.
Even Onuaku would be impressed with that field goal percentage!

But honestly we need it to be worse. It's time for him to expand his game, score more points, take up more of the defenses attention. And that will mean missing a few more shots.

Even Onuaku would be impressed with that field goal percentage!

But honestly we need it to be worse. It's time for him to expand his game, score more points, take up more of the defenses attention. And that will mean missing a few more shots.
I think this kid is going to take a huge offensive leap next season, similar to Rak Christmas or Gbinije. It maybe even starts this season as he becomes more assertive. We always play against these teams who have these three star recruits and lower who totally explode as juniors. I think of that Hunter Tyson kid from Clemson and lots of others. Now it’s our turn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom