Man D vs Zone D | Syracusefan.com

Man D vs Zone D

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
I know what you were thinking when you saw this thread title, but no, this is not a thread about wanting us to play man D instead of zone.

What I want to discuss is the differences between the two.

There's been tons of talk about our offense, and deservedly so. It's been awful, and it seriously is head scratching and often hard to watch. But our defense the last couple of games has been incredibly average too. Teams are getting open looks against us. If you give division 1 players open looks, they are more than capable of making them. I'll say it again- VA put on an absolute clinic.

The zone is the definition of team defense. It has to work as a cohesive unit. If it doesn't, it's too easy to get these aforementioned wide open shots.You need to have hands up, rotations, sliding with your feet, talking to eachother. It seems like we are just going through the motions. Other teams are getting easy shots and we aren't. That's a problem.

People ask why it's possible for other shooters to get wide open with the chance to step into their shot while we can't spring Cooney except off curls/screens. It's simply a product of the defense. We play against man (for the most part), and we play zone. That's it. Open looks against us are players who have a chance to step into their shots or square up.

When your best defender and rebounder is on the bench it will certainly throw a monkey wrench into things.

When your best defender and rebounder is on the bench it will certainly throw a monkey wrench into things.

Certainly, no doubt about it. But that is also not all of it.

Its not but with a healthy Grant last night they do not get all of those easy looks inside.

By the sounds of it in the Presser I think Jerami plays Sunday. Seems like hes been cleared by the doctors. I hope Trevor can get going again. Those are the two keys to the rest of the season in my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom