Man, did we ever toughen up down the stretch | Syracusefan.com

Man, did we ever toughen up down the stretch

RF2044

Living Legend
That's what happens when you have two fifth year seniors with the ball in their hands.

And Lydon was really good down the stretch after looking big boy'd for a significant portion of the game.

I think that Lydon / Richarson are probably the best, most game ready combo we've had since Carmelo / GMac. Just saying.

It isn't easy to win a three game, three day tournament playing 6--but again, we toughed it out and are now battle tested. These games will serve us well down the stretch.

Let's Go Orange!!!

That's what happens when you have two fifth year seniors with the ball in their hands.

And Lydon was really good down the stretch after looking big boy'd for a significant portion of the game.

I think that Lydon / Richarson are probably the best, most game ready combo we've had since Carmelo / GMac. Just saying.

Yeah, I think Richardson had tired legs today as most of his threes came up short, but still battled and went to the rim hard. Good performance with the shot being off.

Lydon's leaner was pretty spectacular - was I the only one that was 93.8370238% certain that was going down, even after it hit rim? Kid got it done when we needed him to.

Thought Cooney should have tomahawk dunked on that last drive for emphasis - but, oh well. :) Great performances from him and G throughout especially considering the minutes they played.

I know the media hype is Lydon, then G/Cooney (and rightfully so), but Malachi is legit. The dude has an elite step back move, attacks the rim and gets fouled, and can hit 3's with dudes in his grill. He's not as much of a liability on D as people thought either. I love the fact that he'll be getting the other teams #3 defender too.

Totally agree. Those guys are both absolutely fearless. I though Malachi was having a bad game and then they said he's got 16 points. Jaw dropped. But his fearless drives into the lane were amazing. The aggies threw a lot of big bodies at the kid (including that one dude that appeared to be shot out of a catapult at him on the layup attempt) and he never backed down.

To be fair AnM tightened up as much as we toughened up. But that's a part of the zone good shots can be had but they take pretty good planning to get and that gets harder to do as the pressure mounts. Biggest thing for me is the amount of pressure we put on the opposing D with our shooting and our driving ability.

It isn't easy to win a three game, three day tournament playing 6--but again, we toughed it out and are now battle tested. These games will serve us well down the stretch.

Let's Go Orange!!!
and Cooney could play a six-overtime game without needing to sit

I know the media hype is Lydon, then G/Cooney (and rightfully so), but Malachi is legit. The dude has an elite step back move, attacks the rim and gets fouled, and can hit 3's with dudes in his grill. He's not as much of a liability on D as people thought either. I love the fact that he'll be getting the other teams #3 defender too.

I currently have Malachi as team MVP, because momentum always seems to swing SU's way when he returns to driving inward as opposed to that outside patrolling that sometimes happens (whole team guilty of this, in a way).

Not opposed to opposing views on this, though. 'Cause those are only gravy.

I currently have Malachi as team MVP, because momentum always seems to swing SU's way when he returns to driving inward as opposed to that outside patrolling that sometimes happens (whole team guilty of this, in a way).

Not opposed to opposing views on this, though. 'Cause those are only gravy.

It's called spacing. Bilas reffered to it like this, "when you have 4 guys on the floor who can really shoot it, it opens up the floor big time..." Malachi's job is to sit out there knowing the defender can not collapse on either TC or G's penetration. If the defender does, kick out for the wide open three. Also, because the defender can not cheat off Malachi, that helps open up the high post for Lydon when needed. Malachi being able to take it to the rim and get the foul is a bonus for sure. Sometimes I get the bull in a china shop feeling about some of his drives though.

It seems, for this team, it becomes easier to score the more the game goes on because the opposing team just can not cover everything and the players are perfectly happy taking whatever the defense is giving them.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Those guys are both absolutely fearless. I though Malachi was having a bad game and then they said he's got 16 points. Jaw dropped. But his fearless drives into the lane were amazing. The aggies threw a lot of big bodies at the kid (including that one dude that appeared to be shot out of a catapult at him on the layup attempt) and he never backed down.
I believe Richardson scored the team's first 7 points of the second half, or something close to that. He is a tremendous offensive talent, but he is slipping under the radar and quietly stuffing the stat sheet while Lydon and the grad students get all the attention. Pretty amazing to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom