Man, I can't get enough of the 30 for 30 special on NC State... | Syracusefan.com

Man, I can't get enough of the 30 for 30 special on NC State...

RF2044

Living Legend
...captivating stuff.

I'd forgotten how great of a player Thurl Bailey was.

Inspiring, as I watch the team I root for advance to the final four!

...captivating stuff.

I'd forgotten how great of a player Thurl Bailey was.

Inspiring, as I watch the team I root for advance to the final four!
Loved the part where he kicked Valvano out of the locker room & got in the other players faces. After returning from injury & losing to Maryland Thurl got quite frustrated. He went nuclear & it worked. NC St had to make a clean run through the ACC tournament just to get in the NCAA's.

One of the best March Madness stories ever.

They left out the part where Valvano had one of his goons stick a gun in a ballboy's mouth after the kid said he was going to tell the administration about the multitude of recruiting violations that Valvano was committing...

They left out the part where Valvano had one of his goons stick a gun in a ballboy's mouth after the kid said he was going to tell the administration about the multitude of recruiting violations that Valvano was committing...
Yikes

No doubt--Valvano was a grade A scumbag who ran a dirty program. That gets whitewashed nowadays since he's primarily associated with the good that the V Foundation has done, and that memorable speech he gave at the ESPYs.

Never liked Valvano because of how dirty he was. But this special was still pretty fascinating--especially given how NC State barely qualified for the tournament--winning a bunch of close games in the ACC tournament to earn the automatic bid--and then all of the close games they played in the NCAA just to get to the championship game. Talk about charmed.

It was a great piece. I remember the pepperdine game. That game was over and they should have been bounced in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the 1982-1983 Wolfpack in person. My dad and I went to a doubleheader early in the season and saw them beat West Virginia at the Meadowlands. I forget what the other half of the doubleheader was. The NC ST game was pretty good---they won by about 8 or 9 points.

During some of those ACC games I saw a short 3 pt. line. Was this an experimental thing done in league play that wasn't done in NCAA tourney play, kind of like the years the Big East had 6 fouls?

During some of those ACC games I saw a short 3 pt. line. Was this an experimental thing done in league play that wasn't done in NCAA tourney play, kind of like the years the Big East had 6 fouls?
Yes. It only lasted a year or two. Incredibly it was 2 feet shorter than the top of the key. I'm surprised they didn't try an eight foot basket just for kicks.