Man, is it great to be a Syracuse fan! | Syracusefan.com

Man, is it great to be a Syracuse fan!

RF2044

Living Legend
Rooting for Syracuse University basketball, football, and lacrosse is the thing that I love to do the most. It's my hobby, my main [non-family interest], my passion -- cultivated when I was growing up as something I could enjoy in conjunction with my dad, and made stronger over the years with all of the games I've attended, the amazing runs we've had in each of those sports, and the cherished memories that I've made following the team.

But being an SU fan isn't always fun. It can bring a lot of disappointment. Nearly every year, there is a sense of underachieving when the season ends, made worse when your hopes crushed during special seasons--especially the years that we have great teams that seem like they could win it all [I'm looking at you, 2010 and 2012] flame out to inferior opponents in the tourney.

In recent years, we've also had to deal with the seemingly perpetual trifling off the court stuff, the frustration of the team seeming to be stuck in a mediocre "phase," getting our name dragged through the mud after a bogus NCAA investigation, and having to deal with the crippling after effects of the draconian [and arbitrary / capricious] penalties leveled against us by a corrupt governing institution. We maddeningly lose games that we shouldn't to inferior foes. Our coach is stubborn, his teams often peak early, and we struggle through some games where opponents execute well against our defense and just sit back in the zone. We lose at an unacceptable % to historically mediocre teams like Pitt. and it can seem deflating to lose out on big recruits to blue chip programs, and it sucks to have people [including our own fans] question our position amongst the top tier programs in college basketball when we don't play consistently like an elite program.

There used to be a time when SU losing in football, basketball, or lax would literally ruin my entire week. No exaggeration. I've gotten desensitized [especially after the GRob football debacle], and life circumstances have changed that point of view / dulled the "pain" of losing somewhat.

But man--there is no greater feeling when we win. Especially against top 10 opponents. ESPECIALLY against Duke. And it is even sweeter that we hit a buzzer beater to send those clowns home. Today, I have the same exact feeling I had after we beat UVa to advance to the Final Four.

Being an SU fan may bring with it a lot of pain, disappointment, and frustration, but on days like this, it is TOTALLY WORTH IT! The sun is shining a little brighter, my sense of self worth is sky high, and I'm on top of the world.

Oh--and hope springs eternal. Anyone else believe that this team is poised to make a run? ; )

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
Any interaction with Duke fans for those who went? Any comments from them about campus/Dome/game vibe & atmosphere?

Any interaction with Duke fans for those who went? Any comments from them about campus/Dome/game vibe & atmosphere?

Two of them sat right in front of me. They were very polite. They couldn't believe we didn't get the ball to a wide open Lydon in the post in the first half and were overall very impressed with the crowd and noise level. They stuck around for a couple minutes after when everyone was still celebrating.

Had a family infront of us, they were definitely intimidated by the noise and atmosphere but warmed up to it once they thought Duke was going to win and took many pictures.

I don't know what happened to them upon the moment Gillon drove a spike into the Devil's black hole of a heart, I blacked out in hysteric joy.

Rooting for Syracuse University basketball, football, and lacrosse is the thing that I love to do the most. It's my hobby, my main [non-family interest], my passion -- cultivated when I was growing up as something I could enjoy in conjunction with my dad, and made stronger over the years with all of the games I've attended, the amazing runs we've had in each of those sports, and the cherished memories that I've made following the team.

But being an SU fan isn't always fun. It can bring a lot of disappointment. Nearly every year, there is a sense of underachieving when the season ends, made worse when your hopes crushed during special seasons--especially the years that we have great teams that seem like they could win it all [I'm looking at you, 2010 and 2012] flame out to inferior opponents in the tourney.

In recent years, we've also had to deal with the seemingly perpetual trifling off the court stuff, the frustration of the team seeming to be stuck in a mediocre "phase," getting our name dragged through the mud after a bogus NCAA investigation, and having to deal with the crippling after effects of the draconian [and arbitrary / capricious] penalties leveled against us by a corrupt governing institution. We maddeningly lose games that we shouldn't to inferior foes. Our coach is stubborn, his teams often peak early, and we struggle through some games where opponents execute well against our defense and just sit back in the zone. We lose at an unacceptable % to historically mediocre teams like Pitt. and it can seem deflating to lose out on big recruits to blue chip programs, and it sucks to have people [including our own fans] question our position amongst the top tier programs in college basketball when we don't play consistently like an elite program.

But man--there is no greater feeling when we win. Especially against top 10 opponents. ESPECIALLY against Duke. And it is even sweeter that we hit a buzzer beater to send those clowns home.

Being an SU fan may bring with it a lot of pain, disappointment, and frustration, but on days like this, it is TOTALLY WORTH IT! The sun is shining a little brighter, my sense of self worth is sky high, and I'm on top of the world.

Oh--and hope springs eternal. Anyone else believe that this team is poised to make a run? ; )

Let's Go Orange!!!

Great post. My dad got me into being a sports fan as a child but my mom has even joined in. She follows our scores on the ESPN app on the iPad and she was the one who called me to celebrate right when the buzzer went off last night.

It's my #1 passion also. I don't take losses as seriously as I used to. Life circumstances can occasionally put things into perspective. But I can't imagine my life without SU sports.

But man--there is no greater feeling when we win. Especially against top 10 opponents. ESPECIALLY against Duke. And it is even sweeter that we hit a buzzer beater to send those clowns home.

Let's Go Orange!!!

That's a little like how I'm rolling today.

Two of them sat right in front of me. They were very polite. They couldn't believe we didn't get the ball to a wide open Lydon in the post in the first half and were overall very impressed with the crowd and noise level. They stuck around for a couple minutes after when everyone was still celebrating.

Cool! Yeah, not getting the ball to Lydon in the post in the 1H was frustrating. Oh well.

One of the ones near me had an extraordinary fe-mullet. Excellent plumage.

But we didn't interact.

I was just amazed by the number of Duke alumni who either live in the CNY region, or traveled to the game. Especially the ones with the chinstrap beards.

raw

There was one near Jake and I. In our excitement after the shot we tossed him over the upper deck rail.

Hope the POS fell on another Puke fan!;)
There was a Duke fan right in front of me who would obnoxiously jump up after every stinkin' basket they made. Imagine my satisfaction when he sat holding his head after the rest of us were jumping and screaming. Sweet Karma...

RF2044 well said. You especially nailed this line, "the frustration of the team seeming to be stuck in a mediocre "phase." This is certainly true in basketball, but, also lacrosse as well. In hoops I hate being on the bubble, and I think it an unjust position for a team of our brand. That said, the fact that we have "over-achieved," in the tourney, has made it a little less painful. Still also hate having not made a run at at ACC championship, and the fact that it probably won't happen in JB's tenure is even more maddening. Losing blue chip recruits is tough as well, especially when it is apparent that you need elite talent in our league to be highly successful.

It be nice this year to at least win a game in the ACC tourney. So far nada, which is not Cuse level.

As for lax, the same can be said about over-achieving, however, not in the NCAA tournament, where we have had high seeds typically, and under-achieved. Can be argued we have left a few ships out there, that should have been ours. That said, we have taken a few conference tournaments, making the finals every year and winning 2 of 3. Not the same, but like hoops, eases the frustration a bit.

Football is well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom