man our offense is atrocious | Syracusefan.com

man our offense is atrocious

OrangeFoo

All American
Not a clue what to do against the a zone D.

In general I am very concerned about our ability to manufacture points against teams who can matchup with our athletes. I see a lot of ugly games in our future. I hope our D can hold up because our offense has a LONG way to go

I think it looks light years better than last year against the zone. We're actually getting inside.

Yes our offense is sloppy early on in the season and inconsistent. Our defense and more talented players has won us games.

Sloppy but there are so many who can put up points. Turnovers the big concern, such a huge change from last year

We really struggle in half court sets -- as always. The perimeter shooting has not been good, except for Southerland. If that doesn't improve we are going to play a lot of ugly, close games against teams with more size and athleticism.

Our offense is very multidimentional. Our sets look very smooth and our guys are doing a great job at getting open.
Its just Triche and Cooney had a off shooting night.
Those must be the shots cooney is making in practice because hes shooting them off the dribble and JB is letting him.

Take out Triche, Cooney, and Grants one missed shot and the rest of the team shoots 24-41. Thats 58%. 13 turnovers and we have alot of youth and ball movement sets. 13 offensive rebounds. Not to bad.

Our offense is very multidimentional. Our sets look very smooth and our guys are doing a great job at getting open.
Its just Triche and Cooney had a off shooting night.
Those must be the shots cooney is making in practice because hes shooting them off the dribble and JB is letting him.

Take out Triche, Cooney, and Grants one missed shot and the rest of the team shoots 24-41. Thats 58%. 13 turnovers and we have alot of youth and ball movement sets. 13 offensive rebounds. Not to bad.

Agreed. Let's not forget that playing Princeton is like getting a root canal. They live for defense.

I'm a little concerned about BT's turnovers.

So, we put away a decent team (one that is picked to win the Ivy) by 20 pts, easily covering the Vegas line, and the word atrocious is used to describe our team after the game?
I didn't get to watch the game, but this just seems odd to me...

So, we put away a decent team (one that is picked to win the Ivy) by 20 pts, easily covering the Vegas line, and the word atrocious is used to describe our team after the game?

We could have won this game 103-53 hitting 18 3's and we'd get someone on here saying "I'm a little concerned about our offense, we're too reliant on outside shooting, what happens when those 3s aren't falling?" :eek:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Seems odd because it is odd.

44cuse

Princeton looked pretty good to me. They had some good size too all over the place creating some problems. Still, with a mediocre offensive game we handled them pretty well. Looked like JB just told the guards to drive more 2H and they did. Rak looked good early before the fouls. This was a good W. They aren't a cupcake.

There was some sloppy play out there tonight. Triche made some poor decisions and bad passes, and generally shot the ball poorly. Southy got lost several times on defense, leading to open threes that kept Princeton hanging around. Both guys caught an earful from JB.

Despite all that, SU was really in control throughout. It's still real early. When this team puts together a complete game, takes care of the ball better and starts getting consistent outside shooting from multiple players, look out.

For the record I didn't describe the team as atrocious I said our offense was atrocious, specifically our half-court offense. If we didn't score on the break or off of a busted play we really didn't score. Last year if the game got into a half-court grinder any one of Dion, Scoop, Triche, KJo and occasionally CJ could go out and create some shots for us. At the moment only MCW, Triche and Southerland can create their own shot and this is against a team that is not nearly as athletic as us. CJ's inability to exploit both Wagner and Princeton really have me concerned.

The good news is that CJ will hopefully figure out how to get his O going and Rak , Cooney, and DC2 will hopefully be able to create a bucket or two. The even better news is that we are the most athletic team I've seen outside of Kentucky and our D is going to dominate other teams. That alone will get us to top 3 or 4 in the BE but how well our half-court game develops will determine whether this a a good season or a special season.

For the record I didn't describe the team as atrocious I said our offense was atrocious, specifically our half-court offense. If we didn't score on the break or off of a busted play we really didn't score. Last year if the game got into a half-court grinder any one of Dion, Scoop, Triche, KJo and occasionally CJ could go out and create some shots for .

This was the all to common gripe last year. How soon it's forgotten...everyone bitched about the sets last year...

There was some sloppy play out there tonight. Triche made some poor decisions and bad passes, and generally shot the ball poorly. Southy got lost several times on defense, leading to open threes that kept Princeton hanging around. Both guys caught an earful from JB.

Despite all that, SU was really in control throughout. It's still real early. When this team puts together a complete game, takes care of the ball better and starts getting consistent outside shooting from multiple players, look out.

The one play where Southerland gave up a three and then went down and made a three... JB was literally bouncing he was a so angry at the Senior Southerland blowing his defensive assignment. At first, I thought it was a fan or cheerleader over the made three. JB was really riding the two seniors tonight.

For the record I didn't describe the team as atrocious I said our offense was atrocious, specifically our half-court offense. If we didn't score on the break or off of a busted play we really didn't score. Last year if the game got into a half-court grinder any one of Dion, Scoop, Triche, KJo and occasionally CJ could go out and create some shots for us. At the moment only MCW, Triche and Southerland can create their own shot and this is against a team that is not nearly as athletic as us. CJ's inability to exploit both Wagner and Princeton really have me concerned.

The good news is that CJ will hopefully figure out how to get his O going and Rak , Cooney, and DC2 will hopefully be able to create a bucket or two. The even better news is that we are the most athletic team I've seen outside of Kentucky and our D is going to dominate other teams. That alone will get us to top 3 or 4 in the BE but how well our half-court game develops will determine whether this a a good season or a special season.

Good post. The only iso threat we have right now is MCW. Triche, Fair, Rak, Dajuan, Cooney on occasion, but they aren't there yet. Southerland is more of a Rautins (one that doesn't create his shot but gets open), then a Devendorf or Gerry.

That will show come big east though. We are going to need alot of movement away from the ball and extra passing then usual (which we are made for), if we don't find enough isolation. Hopefully that won't make us to turnover prone. Good thing MCW is as good as he is against a zone because teams will try zoning us to cut down on defenders loosing our guys.

Love this teams passing and movement without the ball. We are very good at both these things already.

I'm not worried about the offense. We are moving the ball well and we are getting a lot of good looks. A lot of guys have missed a lot of shots that were in and out. They'll start falling because we have good shooters.

I'd be worried if we had a stagnant offense and were forcing shots.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree with your sentiment but the time stamp indicates this was posted during the game, probably when it was still a single digit game.

I think the OP and some of the responses on this thread are atrocious.

This was not a spectacular offensive showing and the SU struggles against its own defensive philosophy continue, per usual. But this team is far ahead of last year’s when it comes to offensive balance and ability. Scoop and Waiters were the only 2 on the team that created their own shots with any consistency last year and although Waiters was by far the most dynamic player on our team it was probably Scoop who was the more consistent. KJ could and would create on occasion but he never truly broke out. This year (only 3 games in mind you) MCW, Triche, Fair and Southy have all shown positive signs of making things happen on the offensive end. Triche had an off game… c'est la vie. But MCW has 20 assists over the past 2 games so obviously he’s not only creating for himself but helping to create for others too. Too many turnovers tonight? Yes. More missed 3s from Cooney and BT than we want to see? Of course, but this team has already displayed more overall offensive ability and promise than last year’s. There are literally 6 or 7 guys that can put together a career night at any given time. So let’s not cry about not demolishing a better than average, calculated tempo Princeton team. If you really want to complain about something, complain about our lack of dominance in the low-post so far in this young season. Even there, I saw some nice glimpses from both Coleman and Rak in this game.

There’s nothing atrocious about this team. Plenty to work on and improve upon but this “blah, blah, blah… our offense sucks” crap is flat-out wrong.

Perspective this time of year is very important. If you only watch SU it's easy to pick apart a few minor flaws. I have watched almost all of the Top 25 teams and they all have flaws, most teams have more than a few. This is going to be a year where their really isn't one elite team. SU is as good as any team in the country. Playing a tough game against Princeton in November is nothing to sweat over. This team is clearly one of the best 8 in the country. If Christmas and Coleman can continue to develop this is a Final Four team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom