Marek V Matt... | Syracusefan.com

Marek V Matt...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I gotta say I was surprised when we needed to go to a third center that it was Marek and not Matt.

On the surface Matt is bigger and stronger and probably a better rebounder so it would seem he is more suited for the middle.

Marek certainly played well enough in that role against UConn.

The question is, forward going, if Sid's injury lingers and we have to go to a third center, will Marek be able to fulfill that role better than Matt as the opponents get bigger and stronger.

I have no real opinion on what that answer should be, but i am curious what others here might think.

I gotta say I was surprised when we needed to go to a third center that it was Marek and not Matt.

On the surface Matt is bigger and stronger and it would seem more suited for the middle.

The question is, forward going, if Sid's injury lingers and we have to go to a third center, will Marek be able to fulfill that role better than Matt as the opponents get bigger and stronger.

I have no real opinion on what that answer should be, but i am curious what others here might think.

Merek is the guy all the way. The NCAA has chose to make physical post play an emphasis for officials this year. The days of big guys pushing their way into position like sumo wrestlers is over (hopefully) so being skinny is no big deal. Merek is a better shot blocker so he's better at center.

I go for the rim protector here. Seems like MD is better at challenging shots, being that last defender. A little longer and seems like he contests shots better against the other team's bigs. Just my opinion.
Mobility and defensive awareness over the stronger guy. Keita wasn't all diesel, was he?

I think Moyer is the better defensive and rebounding forward while they're both probably close to a wash at center. So Marek plays center not necessarily because he's the better center but because he's the 3rd best forward on D against the better teams.

Apropos nothing, I saw Marek in Panera yesterday and he looked impossibly tall and thin. Like he was stretched out. I can only imagine what Chukwu looks like in person.

Carry on, gentlemen, carry on.
and with that, a new nickname candidate emerges

cce641a16ccac858fb5b8e5d99e01b37.jpg

I think it's nutty. If it continues, teams will just be prepared to exploit his lack of physicality* strength.
As for him being a better 'rim protector,' i think Marek is very good blocking shots as a secondary/help defender. I don't see him being an impediment against another team's post player. I'd rather have someone able to keep a post guy out of easy scoring position. If Marek is a hair better than Matt at eC right now, maybe it's just that he's had a hair more practice prep. But, have we seen Matt there yet to know?

Edited: per Moqui.

Last edited:
lack of strength, maybe.

but slenderman does not lack for physicality. he's one of the most physical players on the team.
Thanks.
Fixed it.

I think Moyer is the better defensive and rebounding forward while they're both probably close to a wash at center. So Marek plays center not necessarily because he's the better center but because he's the 3rd best forward on D against the better teams.

I disagree with that assessment. Marek covers a ton of ground defensively and is pretty light on his feet. However many rebounds he gets, he gets a hand on just as many which keeps the ball alive. I’d say he’s more of a factor in almost every way right now. That said, if Moyer emerges as a really solid contributor and makes this a good argument we’ll all be really happy.

lydon was slotted out of position at the 5 and went 220 at least . monkeydrummer's got no chance inside come conference play.
he's more vlad the pale hipster than vlad the impaler.

Prefer Slimvak, but one hopes this a moot point.

Took it as good news that Sidi's problem is the ankle, not the knee tendinitis.

Hoping we can rest him vs Gate and he's good to go thereafter.

Yup. GTown is the 8th and St. Bonnie’s is the 22nd. We need those games, so hopefully he can heal up quite a bit in the next 8 days.

Apropos nothing, I saw Marek in Panera yesterday and he looked impossibly tall and thin. Like he was stretched out. I can only imagine what Chukwu looks like in person.

Carry on, gentlemen, carry on.

I hope you bought him several milkshakes...or would that be an impermissible benefit? If yes and yes, please do not answer...

Get him out of low cal Panera and into high cal Dinosaur BBQ
I thought it was hilarious to see him there. Do they have Paneras in Europe? Remember when our team had a Chipotle fixation? I don’t think Marek is going to win them over to “clean eating.”

I thought it was hilarious to see him there. Do they have Paneras in Europe? Remember when our team had a Chipotle fixation? I don’t think Marek is going to win them over to “clean eating.”
How far is Cicero? They're building a ChikFilA there. Might help us in the recruiting wars with the southern kids...

On the surface Matt is bigger and stronger and probably a better rebounder so it would seem he is more suited for the middle.

Sometimes JB makes the team leader, like CJ or Lydon, take a position they might not want. Seems to be the guy he trusts the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom