Marek | Syracusefan.com

Marek

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
He looked like the stage was really big and got a bit of deer in headlights syndrome. That is understandable being a freshman and facing the defending NCAA champion who are still stocked with NBA level upperclassmen in a huge Dome atmosphere. He is shooting the ball at a very high percentage,19-30 in his last 7 games. One of the shots he took last night was from just short of 3 and I cringed a little, but it went in. I think he has confidence shooting now and should get more looks, at 3 as well, which would draw a big out of the paint and leave more room for FTO to drive and score or dish or kick back out to him for a 3 ball. That would be a game changer for the offense.

He looked like the stage was really big and got a bit of deer in headlights syndrome. That is understandable being a freshman and facing the defending NCAA champion who are still stocked with NBA level upperclassmen in a huge Dome atmosphere. He is shooting the ball at a very high percentage,19-30 in his last 7 games. One of the shots he took last night was from just short of 3 and I cringed a little, but it went in. I think he has confidence shooting now and should get more looks, at 3 as well, which would draw a big out of the paint and leave more room for FTO to drive and score or dish or kick back out to him for a 3 ball. That would be a game changer for the offense.

Marek plays the game the right way, but at this stage of his development he is focused on being mistake-avoidant. He's going to be a fine player for us once he gains experience and adds a little bit of size / strength. His versatility is going to make him a tough player for the opposition to match up with.

But right now, this year, it's probably a little too much to expect him to be a consistent scorer, especially against teams like UNC. Hopefully he can continue the type of contributions we saw in the previous couple of games, where he was getting 7 or more ppg -- because we're a different team when we have four scorers instead of three.

Marek plays the game the right way, but at this stage of his development he is focused on being mistake-avoidant. He's going to be a fine player for us once he gains experience and adds a little bit of size / strength. His versatility is going to make him a tough player for the opposition to match up with.

But right now, this year, it's probably a little too much to expect him to be a consistent scorer, especially against teams like UNC. Hopefully he can continue the type of contributions we saw in the previous couple of games, where he was getting 7 or more ppg -- because we're a different team when we have four scorers instead of three.
He is a great passer too and like all great passers he knows who and where he is going to pass the ball to before it gets to him. I think that by this time of a freshman's season, especially one who has play a lot of minuets, they are a sophomore. At least that's what I've heard coaches say. Will see what the coaches have for the end run to post season.

He struggled on defense, and was incredibly overmatched when he had to play C last night - as we all knew he would be if we had to put him there against teams like UNC.

He’s definitely improved offensively as the year has gone on. I see him being an All ACC level player by his junior/senior year. Hopefully he likes it here and stays that long. Really like his game and potential.

He struggled on defense, and was incredibly overmatched when he had to play C last night - as we all knew he would be if we had to put him there against teams like UNC.

He’s definitely improved offensively as the year has gone on. I see him being an All ACC level player by his junior/senior year. Hopefully he likes it here and stays that long. Really like his game and potential.
I feel the same way about his potential. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big jump next year and become a super sub if he's around for a full offseason and really worked on his body and shot instead of showing up a few days before classes start. He and Red deserve major props for the noticeable improvement in his shooting. He looks confident, and his form is really solid. Just needs more reps.

I really like his efficiency over the last 7 games shooting 63% from the floor. If he could hit some threes at 45%, well that would be something. When he hit that deep 2 yesterday, I'm sure the coaching staff said A HUH.

He needs to gain some weight. He got big boyed inside last night.

A microcosm of Marek and this team happened in one play in the first half last night. Market took a couple of bounces and ended up in traffic under the basket. He knew he couldn't finish against their bigs, so he looks to pass, and makes a nice toss over to Sid on the other block, who goes up and gets swatted without leaving his feet. We have also seen OB get denied time and again in there this year. There is just no beef against legit ACC front lines on this team. Despite all their shortcomings, they have a chance for a memorable finish. Easy team to root for, even with their flaws.

Dont see him being all acc level. Think he’s a solid 4 year player that can contribute. Dependable.

I don't think he was a deer in headlights, I think he just can't compete physically against players like Maye or Manley and athletically against Pinson. He does what he can playing mostly below the rim with a rail thin body. Him and Chukwu just can't handle the bulkier/stronger opponents, especially if they have any athleticism.

I'm not sure next year improves in this area either. If OB is back, the back line of him, Baz and Chukwu/Sidibe will still be out-muscled against players like these. We can survive that on the wings when the athletes/length are there (like next year, hopefully), but need some more bulk in the paint. Chukwu has done some nice things this year, but man, he is so weak and incapable of playing physically. Not necessarily his fault, of course. A player like Christmas or Fab inside may be the missing piece.

I really like his efficiency over the last 7 games shooting 63% from the floor. If he could hit some threes at 45%, well that would be something. When he hit that deep 2 yesterday, I'm sure the coaching staff said A HUH.
45% from 3? Jeez, that'd be the 2nd best shooting season all-time at SU.

I'd take a guy that can hit the shot respectably, say 35%. If Marek improves his shot, his strength and his handle, then he can pump fake out there and get inside.

He made a lot of bad choices on defense but roy owned jb last night with the zone offense. They put may or pinson in highpost then sent two guys to one area and marek cant guard both.

Jb still got 03 though

He made a lot of bad choices on defense but roy owned jb last night with the zone offense. They put may or pinson in highpost then sent two guys to one area and marek cant guard both.

Jb still got 03 though

As much as "Roy owned JB last night with the zone offense", we still had it tied at 74, with the ball.

Clearly we must have been doing *something* right, to be tied in the final minutes with the #10 team in the country, in spite of how well they were carving us up on O, and the fairly huge disparity in depth and talent between the 2 teams.

I don't think he was a deer in headlights, I think he just can't compete physically against players like Maye or Manley and athletically against Pinson. He does what he can playing mostly below the rim with a rail thin body. Him and Chukwu just can't handle the bulkier/stronger opponents, especially if they have any athleticism.

I'm not sure next year improves in this area either. If OB is back, the back line of him, Baz and Chukwu/Sidibe will still be out-muscled against players like these. We can survive that on the wings when the athletes/length are there (like next year, hopefully), but need some more bulk in the paint. Chukwu has done some nice things this year, but man, he is so weak and incapable of playing physically. Not necessarily his fault, of course. A player like Christmas or Fab inside may be the missing piece.

OB is oh so close to figuring out how to finish at the rim in traffic. When he does, he gone. He has enough athleticism to do damage there as he matures, ala Jerami.

As much as "Roy owned JB last night with the zone offense", we still had it tied at 74, with the ball.

Clearly we must have been doing *something* right, to be tied in the final minutes with the #10 team in the country, in spite of how well they were carving us up on O, and the fairly huge disparity in depth and talent between the 2 teams.

UNC scored: 96, 82, 96, 83, and 93 points in their other games in this winning streak. But let some of these people tell it, it was all “Roy owning the zone”! and “we just need another defense to go to! Most pathetic defensive game ever!”, etc. As if it was all up to us and our strategy.

Newsflash: sometimes the other team is really, really good on offense and are going to get their points regardless of what type of defense you play.

UNC scored: 96, 82, 96, 83, and 93 points in their other games in this winning streak. But let some of these people tell it, it was all “Roy owning the zone”! and “we just need another defense to go to! Most pathetic defensive game ever!”, etc. As if it was all up to us and our strategy.

Newsflash: sometimes the other team is really, really good on offense and are going to get their points regardless of what type of defense you play.

I didnt say any of that. Unc carved up the zone good last night, in my opinion. Its fine to opine that. Unc is a good team. Scored most points in first half against us all year.

do you think that possibly the reason why other teams score fewer points versus us is because we play very slow and that teams might use more shotclock v us?

I hate posts like comstocks and yours which take things way out of context and sound so pretentious. That comstock dude comes at me talking about our offense when my post was about defense and marek most specifically.

I like the zone. Its a good defense but the press got us back in the game. Unc carved the zone last night because roy had a good strategy to attack it. And sure, unc might have also carved up a m2m defense last night too. Overall, good effort but too bad we lost. Hope to pull upset v duke.

The press is what saved us, along with hitting shots in the 2nd, to give us enough for a run to get to 74 all.

They carved up the zone in the half court all night and was why we were in desperation mode despite playing relatively well on O.

I didnt say any of that. Unc carved up the zone good last night, in my opinion. Its fine to opine that. Unc is a good team. Scored most points in first half against us all year.

do you think that possibly the reason why other teams score fewer points versus us is because we play very slow and that teams might use more shotclock v us?

I hate posts like comstocks and yours which take things way out of context and sound so pretentious. That comstock dude comes at me talking about our offense when my post was about defense.

I like the zone. Its a good defense but the press got us back in the game. Unc carved the zone last night because roy had a good strategy to attack it.

I’m not talking about anyone specific. Just the general perspective that it’s all about us and what we choose to do, as if there’s not another(better) team on the floor too.

UNC scored efficiently on us, just like they have been against everybody else.

I think Boeheim is as good as it gets as far as timing when to throw the press on.

When we get shredded it's JB getting owned. When we make a comeback, we only had to come back because JB was owned.

At the beginning of the game he just looked a little tense and like the stage was huge. Maybe the game was on national TV in Slovkia, I dunno. If, he could stay out by the high post and hit a few more shots out there, then they will have to send a big out to guard him and Chukwu would only have 1 big man to contend with for rebounds, or 1 less.

I think when you have 4 of the 5 bigs all playing hurt, its gonna be tough to move enough on D to stop a team that passes well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom