Marek..... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marek.....

What is this based on?

We need to be honest as a fan base - Sidibe hasn't contributed much and it's a complete unknown if he ever will. Whether by health or player limitations, he gave us one out of nowhere huge game against Pitt, and that's really all we have to hang our hat on.

I'd love for Sidibe to be a redemption story, but the Marek vs Sidibe debate as of accomplishments right now is comical.

Yeah, Marek's thin. But for all his supposed limitations Boeheim trusts Marek to be on the floor, and we can't really say the same for Sidibe.

It’s based on the fact that Marek gets pushed around. And Boeheim has only played him there out of necessity because all other options are exhausted and/or not good enough.

I’m not saying Marek won’t be the best option next year, but our best chance to field a team able to compete against the nation’s elite on a consistent basis has someone other than Marek playing center.

Last edited:
I just want to see him a bit stronger and have a little more green light for longer jumpers and a few threes.

he has the green light, he just doesn't hit the gas pedal enough

The absolute best for Marek next year would be to get to 200 pounds. I think there’s a slim chance he can add 20 pounds.

He lost a pound between his freshman and sophomore years.

No chance as long as he smokes. Kid hustles but we cant compete with him at the 5
If the Doley I have come to know and love smokes a pack of darts everyday I don’t want him to change a damn thing

If we had a 5 Marek would be great off the bench. If he starts it should be at the 4. Lets hope that Sid is well or one of the Frosh bigs is ready.

Of course, he's a "4". And IF we have one or two competent "5's" next year, Marek could be a difference maker, if JB decides to create a slightly different offense that features his unique skill set.

Although I can see the logic of him coming off the bench because he has the potential to change the pattern of a game to the extent that the other team has to start making adjustments. Of course, if he goes in and tries to pretend he's a real "5", not much changes. Except that on defense we get worse because almost every center we face is going to push him around and out.

Marek isn't a "5". He never will be, although we may play him as one because we don't have a better option because of foul trouble or general offensive ineptitude.

He doesn't fit the mold. What he is is a slightly different kind of animal. A very tall kid with great vision, knowledge of the game that helps him anticipate and excellent passing skills. As a "5", he seems most effective at the top of the key facing the basket. That pulls the other "5" out from under the basket or puts a shorter player on Marek he can shoot over. Of course, that creates vulnerabilities inside.

Marek is also a "gamer". He's on the floor fighting for loose balls frequently and we have seen him take outrageous charges.

I'm not holding out any hope he's going to add 20 lbs. based on what happened between 2017/18 and 2018/19. I hope he concentrates on dribbling and ball handling so he can get to what he really is, a Point Forward.

That's fine -- I can understand the skepticism based upon the viewpoint that past performance is often an indicator of future performance.

If Sidibe is shot physically [a la Coleman], then I see your point.

But if he bounces back, then he has a lot more upside in the post than Marek does -- as a rebounder AND defender. I tend to believe that last year was a lost cause -- he was rehabbing right up until the preseason games and wasn't able to spend any time over the offseason working on his game. Then he got off to a poor start, which led JB to Booheim him, he got limited minutes, and lost confidence.

I don't know whether Sidibe can get healthy. But if he does, then his baseline isn't what we saw last year.

And if he can't, then it might be.
Is his problem tendonitis? If so, has any SU player ever completely come back from that, especially a big man.

Is his problem tendonitis? If so, has any SU player ever completely come back from that, especially a big man.
That has been the concern all along. Good question.

That has been the concern all along. Good question.
From what I saw his freshman year, I would like to see him completely healthy. He seemed to have enough offense to allow the incoming freshman to gradually work their way into the lineup.

Same thing as Lydon, enough pump faking. Shoot the rock with confidence.

breaking away . a classic.

be01b5ddffa4ee5643a181db1f364428.jpg

Mike:
They're gonna keep callin' us "cutters." To them, it's just a dirty word. To me, it's just somethin' else I never got a chance to be.

Dad:
If you eat so much, Moocher, how come you're so damned small?
Moocher:
Oh... It's my metabolism. I eat 3 times a day and my metabolism eats 5 times a day.

Growing up in Liverpool, I had never seen Breaking Away or heard of the Little 500. That said, and after 1987 I still detest IU, as a resident of Bloomington, Indiana, I can honestly say that the Little 500 is one of the coolest sporting events in the country. It's so unique and riveting, I only wish Syracuse had a comparable knockoff that I could have participated in as a student. It's unlike any other sporting event in the country, a must see in person at least once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom