Marquette loses to the Green Bay Packers | Syracusefan.com

Marquette loses to the Green Bay Packers

SouthCampusHero

2nd String
My bad...they lost to something called the Green Bay Phoenix (47-49).

They must have a bad crop of 1st year JUCO's.

Thats the team formerly known as Wisconsin Green Bay I believe (who we once beat in the NCAA's)

Thats the team formerly known as Wisconsin Green Bay I believe (who we once beat in the NCAA's)

jeff nordgard. Tough second round game.

Pretty sure that Tony Bennett was their head coach [ended up coaching at Wisconsin later on, building the foundation of success that Bo Ryan took over / maintained].

Wisconsin-Green Bay had a run of a few seasons in which they were actually pretty good.

Still a bad loss for Curly Howard and Marquette.

Broke the Big East's 42 game winning streak.

10442631-large.jpg

Has any picture screamed for a caption of "NYUK NYUK NYUK" or "Hey Moe! Hey Larry!" as much as that one?
American Ambassador to the Minister of Silly Walks.

Pretty sure that Tony Bennett was their head coach [ended up coaching at Wisconsin later on, building the foundation of success that Bo Ryan took over / maintained].

Wisconsin-Green Bay made just 39 percent of its shots, while Syracuse shot 49 percent.

"I just felt we didn't want to play them man-to-man," Boeheim said. "It wasn't meant to be a whole game of zone, but it was so effective we couldn't come out of it."

We can't grind zones the way we can man-to-man," Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Dick Bennett said. "Had they been playing man in the second half, I think we could've gotten that thing ... nailed them and gotten the right people open."

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-03-20/sports/sp-36372_1_wisconsin-green-bay

It's unbelievable what some of you guys remember. I vaguely remember playing them in the tourney; no way I would ever remember one of their players or even their coach.

Has any picture screamed for a caption of "NYUK NYUK NYUK" or "Hey Moe! Hey Larry!" as much as that one?

They finally realized who they were being coached by.

5399287_f520.jpg

It's unbelievable what some of you guys remember. I vaguely remember playing them in the tourney; no way I would ever remember one of their players or even their coach.

Here's why that game was memorable: Wisconsin-Green Bay upset Cal in the first round of the tournament, setting up our game with them in the 2nd round. Cal was quarterbacked by Jason Kidd, and also had a high scoring SF who played quite a bit in the NBA named Lamond Murray. Obviously, at a small school like W-GB he had mid-tier type talent, but they had a versatile 6-8 guy [Nordgaard] who was a very, very good player. Luckily for us, he was no John Wallace.

Their coach, Dick Bennett [I said Tony above, but I think Tony was his son who also went on to be a coach], a few years later went to the flagship institution in the state, Wisconsin, and had a very successful run there. Not surprising--he was a heck of a coach. We played them in the Dome one year, and Kueth Duany's brother was on that team--his name was Duany Duany.

We beat them in that game, but Wisconsin ended up making the final four that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom