Marrone built a great foundation...why not continue on this? | Syracusefan.com

Marrone built a great foundation...why not continue on this?

FranCuse

Walk On
He built a great foundation and understood what it would take to move the SU football program from a deep hole to a position where the program is respectable and where it is clearly going forward. The program has been moving forward continually since he has been here. He's been honest and frank as much as can be from his position. He is driven to be the best at what he does and I think he has a very good shot at being a unique NFL coach and I truly believe his skills are more positioned to be a great NFL coach. He has taken on one of the most challenging franchises to turn over.

He is relentless and one of those special leaders. But that rather than be upset that he moved on, rather be moved by that he influenced some of those that believe in his system and his approach that are still here. Is this not the opportunity to promote from within if we have someone worthy?

We have a great OC, great DC, a great RB coach, a great receiver coach? Why not keep them all and promote one within?

He built a great foundation and understood what it would take to move the SU football program from a deep hole to a position where the program is respectable and where it is clearly going forward. The program has been moving forward continually since he has been here. He's been honest and frank as much as can be from his position. He is driven to be the best at what he does and I think he has a very good shot at being a unique NFL coach and I truly believe his skills are more positioned to be a great NFL coach. He has taken on one of the most challenging franchises to turn over.

He is relentless and one of those special leaders. But that rather than be upset that he moved on, rather be moved by that he influenced some of those that believe in his system and his approach that are still here. Is this not the opportunity to promote from within if we have someone worthy?

We have a great OC, great DC, a great RB coach, a great receiver coach? Why not keep them all and promote one within?

I agree with a lot in this post. There is no question that the team now is on much more solid footing than it was four years ago when Marrone arrived. Our recruiting--while not necessarily being reflected in the rankings--has improved the athleticism / size / speed / depth of the roster, and if we make a solid hire, than there is no reason that the momentum can't be sustained.

I honestly don't begrudge Marrone making the jump to the NFL. IMO, nobody should. But I think a lot of posters expected more of a commitment from an alum who described the Syracuse head football coaching position as his dream job. Again, I don't blame the guy for attempting to coach at the highest echelon of his profession. I just feel like the timing of him making this change isn't ideal for SU--sure, the next coach might continue to improve on the foundation Marrone established, but we could just as easily back slide. Especially as we transition to a new conference, with a new coaching staff and lots of uncertainty at key positions [QB, WR, OL in particular].

As for the coaching staff, I think we have an outstanding crew. Being an assistant coach at SU has traditionally been a revolving door, with AC's bailing [not entirely surprising, as SU is more of a stepping stone program] every year. Under Marrone, it's been different--guys have gotten bounced, but for the most part the staff has stayed intact. And frankly, I think that the staff has excelled both at identifying quality athletes on the recruiting trail [an important consideration, given that we aren't in a recruiting hotbed area and have had trouble landing highly rated prospects] as well as in game planning. I'd hate to see this staff broken up for both of those reasons. But when a new HC comes in, he's going to want discretion over who his ACs are, and there is no guarantee that any of the current staff will be retained or want to remain.

WHAT IF MARRONE BECOMES A SIZABLE DONOR TO SU FOOTBALL. CAUSING CHANGE FROM THE OUTSIDE, WHAT IF HE HAS INSTILLED THIS IN NASSIB, PUGH AND OTHERS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom