Marrone did his homework | Syracusefan.com

Marrone did his homework

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
"In recent weeks, Marrone had done comprehensive film studies of each team he would be interviewing with - the Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Chargers and Bills - and each game they had played this past year," Schefter continued. "He believed Buffalo had more talent than any of those other teams. It factored into his final decision, as did his relationship with the new head man of the Bills organization, Russ Brandon, who has served on the advisory board for sports management at - where else - Syracuse."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/1/7/3844630/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-head-coaching-search

1. we played the pintstripe bowl on dec 29th. think about that.
2. this leads me to believe there was a reason that Spruill wasnt suspended then quasi suspended...

If that's true I'm beginning to wonder if Marrone can judge talent.

Did Hackett tell ZA that Doug going to the NFL was just rumor? Why would he be doing all that homework if he wasn't going?

"In recent weeks, Marrone had done comprehensive film studies of each team he would be interviewing with - the Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Chargers and Bills - and each game they had played this past year," Schefter continued. "He believed Buffalo had more talent than any of those other teams. It factored into his final decision, as did his relationship with the new head man of the Bills organization, Russ Brandon, who has served on the advisory board for sports management at - where else - Syracuse."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/1/7/3844630/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-head-coaching-search

2. this leads me to believe there was a reason that Spruill wasnt suspended then quasi suspended...
Just like we knew he would from what he did here in his interview with the binders and what not. The man can knock it out of the park when he wants a job.

Did Hackett tell ZA that Doug going to the NFL was just rumor? Why would he be doing all that homework if he wasn't going?
If true that was not a wise statement.

There was a thread about it I believe over the weekend.

Maybe Marrone lied to the assistants...

Also very happy about the shoutout to the SPM program on the Hill

Have you ever applied for a big job? Not moving from fry machine to lettuce washing, but a big job where you'll be heading up an organization. This sort of preparation is the bare minimum to even be a credible candidate. You don't just hand over your resume and say "I'm a self starter."

Maybe Marrone lied to the assistants...

Also very happy about the shoutout to the SPM program on the Hill

Though be better to get the Falk School branding!

He quotes Schefter but links to a Schefter article that does not include the quote. None of the links have the quote. He also says "in recent weeks" when Marrone has only been a candidate for about a week. I'm doubtful but ready to be proven wrong.

Have you ever applied for a big job? Not moving from fry machine to lettuce washing, but a big job where you'll be heading up an organization. This sort of preparation is the bare minimum to even be a credible candidate. You don't just hand over your resume and say "I'm a self starter."
I am pretty sure that Marrone's clincher was telling the Bills he was a "self starter" and also "enjoys puzzles". Now how do you feel about your comment? A little embarrassed I would guess.

This confirms a suspicion I have had. Doug has been looking to leave for weeks. He slipped up at one of the Dorsey's luncheons saying "this program might need another bump."

When pressed to explain he said maybe it needed someone else to take it to the next level. I think it was after the Minnesota game.

No doubt in my mind that the seeds were at least planted then and likely followed up on later.

Would not surprise me if he blindsided his assistants as well. Especially if he's the only one going to buffalo.

This confirms a suspicion I have had. Doug has been looking to leave for weeks. He slipped up at one of the Dorsey's luncheons saying "this program might need another bump."

When pressed to explain he said maybe it needed someone else to take it to the next level. I think it was after the Minnesota game.

No doubt in my mind that the seeds were at least planted then and likely followed up on later.

Would not surprise me if he blindsided his assistants as well. Especially if he's the only one going to buffalo.
Wonder if Schafer knew? Hasn't he turned down multiple job offers from MAC programs?

Four years of stocking our roster with solid "2-star" talent isn't enough evidence?

He must have laid off the bologny for a month or so before watching those Bills games otherwise he might have wound up in the hospital.

If nothing else, it confirms that Marrone is wound tighter than a drum and for all his bluster is full of self-doubt. We saw it in earnest during the 2nd half of 2010, when he started freaking out after the Rutgers win. Definitely saw it in the back half of last year and early this year as well.

I'm really not sure he's going to hold up well in the NFL. Hope for his sake he does.

The thin skinned comment from today's pres conference seemed to have rubbed him the wrong way. That goes to show you what type of skin he has. The media out there is going to eat him for lunch!

All speculative but I would be willing to wager a little bit that he had an intent before the beginning of the season to target the NFL.

All the posts about this being his least accessible year, be it because fans weren't responding, etc. might indicate some evidence of that. Maybe that's a half-@ss thought, but clearly he was all systems go for a bit longer than we might have thought.

I can't get the picture out of my head of a dejected looking Marrone from the Minnesota game. And his post game comments about being fried after that game. I think we lost him there, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the point in the season that he decided to hang it up at Syracuse and to start to coach to get to the next level.

I don't know. The Bills have a lot of talent on defense. They also have quality skill players like Spiller and Stevie Johnson. With an upgrade at QB and an improved offensive line, they could easily become the second best team in the division and compete for a Wild Card.

The Eagles and Chargers are headed in the wrong direction. The Browns also have some talent on defense and a solid offensive line. Other than Trent Richardson, they don't have a lot of offensive weapons.

I can see why he would think the Bills have the most talent, because the defense should have been a lot better and there are less holes to fill on offense.

Wonder if Schafer knew? Hasn't he turned down multiple job offers from MAC programs?
Shafer really likes syracuse and his family didn't want him to leave, especially when his kids are in high school.

I don't know. The Bills have a lot of talent on defense. They also have quality skill players like Spiller and Stevie Johnson. With an upgrade at QB and an improved offensive line, they could easily become the second best team in the division and compete for a Wild Card.

The Eagles and Chargers are headed in the wrong direction. The Browns also have some talent on defense and a solid offensive line. Other than Trent Richardson, they don't have a lot of offensive weapons.

I can see why he would think the Bills have the most talent, because the defense should have been a lot better and there are less holes to fill on offense.

I agree with you that they have a lot of the pieces but I'm holding off judgment until I see who the starting QB is going to be. IMHO that's going to dictate a lot of which direction this goes. On the other hand, just getting rid of Wanny is probably worth and extra three wins next year. Yeesh.