Marrone's competition | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's competition

Timonen

All Conference
Reading the names it strikes me how weak the group of folks vying for these spots is. Marrone is one year removed from being sub .500 in the big east. An owner wants to sell that to a fan base? Special team coordinators are being interviewed. O brien gets to be the next patriots coordinator to suck. We've run out of coaches!

I can be sold on Kelly based on upside, but the rest all strike me as completely uninspiring. As an eagles fan. I look at Reid's resume and am scared to death about what's behind door number 1 to replace him.

I guess all of this is to say, I can't fathom that Marrone is ready for this...but he might be more ready than just about all the other options.

Reading the names it strikes me how weak the group of folks vying for these spots is. Marrone is one year removed from being sub .500 in the big east. An owner wants to sell that to a fan base? Special team coordinators are being interviewed. O brien gets to be the next patriots coordinator to suck. We've run out of coaches!

I can be sold on Kelly based on upside, but the rest all strike me as completely uninspiring. As an eagles fan. I look at Reid's resume and am scared to death about what's behind door number 1 to replace him.

I guess all of this is to say, I can't fathom that Marrone is ready for this...but he might be more ready than just about all the other options.
Doug can be a safe choice because as a GM you dont have to worry about being second banana to your new coach. Doug will also come cheaper than most so if he does the bed it wont cost an arm and a leg. Last point is that i believe Doug gives great comfort in that he will not embarass the organization. He is straight as pin and in todays age that will play well. Still i doubt he gets a job this time around. If he does i have to think it is going to be because other pass i just dont see him being the first choice of any team

I heard a discussion on the radio where they all agreed that the best available candidate...by far...was Andy Reid. And then someone asked "What the hell are the Eagles hoping for? I really thing the only option that would at all be acceptable to the Iggles fans would be Chip Kelly. Holmgren is an interesting name I also heard today. And I for one totally get why Marrone's name is being mentioned. Who else is there? For goodness sakes they're mentioning Kyle Shanahan's name! Did he suddenly become great? Or did he just get handed RG3? If offered a job he'll take it. Ideal scenario for me would be if he stayed but somehow positions himself to replace Coughlin in a year or 2. By then Hackett might be ready, like him or not.

Kelly is definitely not the only option this Eagles fan would like. I wouldn't mind seeing Gruden prowling the sidelines. He's got connections to the organization, too. Cowher would be fantastic too, though unrealistic. All signs point to Gruden wanting to get back into the game, though.

And it was most definitely time for Reid to go.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole nfl experience vs head coaching experience thing.

There are a lot of successful current nfl assistants out there and former names. Another name you aren't hearing is gruden - who was rumored for tennessee, but no nfl jobs. Dom capers, the old panthers coach, and current packers d coordinator might be worthy mention, as might coordinators for the patriots, 49ers, etc.

In terms of college coaches, theres les miles, Brian Kelly, will muschamp, Dabo sweeny, jumbo fisher - a whole bunch of names that have won big.

I guess it's the both nfl and head coaching experience and rebuilding a program factor? Or maybe it's just a marrone thing - he's a great coach and people know it.

Lovie Smith would be who I went out and contacted first, but that's just me.

Lovie Smith would be who I went out and contacted first, but that's just me.

Smith is the best coach available, IMO. I think Reid's best days as a coach are mostly over, he might win some but not at the consistency he used to. Smith will always have mostly successful seasons, the defense will always be at least above average. That keeps you in a majority of games.

Well at least this tweet made me laugh this morning...thanks Sean Keeley.

Sean Keeley@NunesMagician
HEY BROWNS AND BILLS, DOUG MARRONE IS TERRIBLE. YOU ARE DUMB TO INTERVIEW HIM. SIGNED, ALL SYRACUSE FANS

Kelly is definitely not the only option this Eagles fan would like. I wouldn't mind seeing Gruden prowling the sidelines. He's got connections to the organization, too. Cowher would be fantastic too, though unrealistic. All signs point to Gruden wanting to get back into the game, though.

And it was most definitely time for Reid to go.

Reid lost the team so there was no option. Gruden scares me. Strikes me as a lot of really expensive window dressing. He's also got the same pedigree as Reid so I don't know if they'd go that route.

The bills are interviewing everyone ever associated with the great Arizona Cardinals because the Bills GM in waiting knows a bunch of them from 10 years ago.

they finished 1-11 down the stretch, lost to the guy you just fired, and the bills are interviewing their head coach and defensive coordinator

Andy Reid: ESPN and Fox Sports are reporting that Reid will interview today with the Chiefs and tomorrow with the Cardinals.

That will probably fill one of the spots.

I heard a discussion on the radio where they all agreed that the best available candidate...by far...was Andy Reid. And then someone asked "What the hell are the Eagles hoping for? I really thing the only option that would at all be acceptable to the Iggles fans would be Chip Kelly. Holmgren is an interesting name I also heard today. And I for one totally get why Marrone's name is being mentioned. Who else is there? For goodness sakes they're mentioning Kyle Shanahan's name! Did he suddenly become great? Or did he just get handed RG3? If offered a job he'll take it. Ideal scenario for me would be if he stayed but somehow positions himself to replace Coughlin in a year or 2. By then Hackett might be ready, like him or not.

Shannahan is far from one of the worst candidates imo. At least he adapated to RG3's strengths instead of being stubborn "this is my system" guy. Also Rex Grossman & John Beck put up respectable #'s last year as a platoon, and their WR core is way below average.

The bills are interviewing everyone ever associated with the great Arizona Cardinals because the Bills GM in waiting knows a bunch of them from 10 years ago.

they finished 1-11 down the stretch, lost to the guy you just fired, and the bills are interviewing their head coach and defensive coordinator

Horton is a little more understandable since their D was pretty good and he apparently impressed the Rams in interviewing last year.
But yeah Whizenhunt I dunno...people talk about the Kurt Warner teams like they were great...the SB team was 9-7 and incredibly lucky to play in a garbage division and host 2 playoff games.

Ray Horton has been very busy...Cards, Browns and Bills.

Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:30 AM
Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton will spend part of a second day, today, interviewing with his current team about a possible promotion.
Horton met with team President Michael Bidwill on Tuesday, and the two are scheduled to resume the interview process today. It’s expected to be an extensive conversation, lasting several hours.
Horton interviewed Tuesday evening with Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and Chief Executive Officer Joe Banner. Horton is scheduled to meet with Bills representatives later today.

Ray Horton has been very busy...Cards, Browns and Bills.

Interviewing Horton fills the duel role of talking to someone potentially qualified and satisfying the Rooney Rule requirement even if he's not at the top of some team's list. Not surprised that he's busy.

Interviewing Horton fills the duel role of talking to someone potentially qualified and satisfying the Rooney Rule requirement even if he's not at the top of some team's list. Not surprised that he's busy.
i always laugh that some teams who fired their coaches for missing the playoffs are in such a hurry to replace them that they go find the coaches who are available to talk by virtue of them not being in the playoffs.

i always laugh that some teams who fired their coaches for missing the playoffs are in such a hurry to replace them that they go find the coaches who are available to talk by virtue of them not being in the playoffs.
No one has actually hired a coach yet. I think they have a pool of potential candidates and they start interviewing the ones on that list that are available to be interviewed right now. I think you will see Reid and Lovie Smith get picked up quickly, but I bet the rest of the open positions don't start to get filled until next week after playoff teams start to fall away.

The Bills began their search for a new head coach in Arizona with a candidate that has prior NFL head coaching experience. Buffalobills.com has learned that the club has formally interviewed former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
The interview took place in Arizona as the Bills search team of President and CEO Russ Brandon, GM Buddy Nix, Assistant GM Doug Whaley and Senior VP of Football Administration Jim Overdorf traveled there by plane Tuesday afternoon.
Whisenhunt, 50, was just relieved of head coaching duties by the Arizona Cardinals on Monday after six seasons on the job (2007-2012). With only two losing seasons in his tenure with the Cardinals, Whisenhunt won more games (49) than any other coach in Cardinals’ team history. He also led Arizona to a pair of NFC West titles and compiled a 4-2 record in the playoffs. He won an NFC championship in 2008, earning a berth in Super Bowl XXIII. Arizona fell to Pittsburgh 27-23.
Prior to his first NFL head coaching job, Whisenhunt served as offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers under Bill Cowher (2004-2006) after a three-year stint as the club’s tight ends coach. Whisenhunt orchestrated an offense that helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XL over the Seattle Seahawks (21-10).
It was there that Whisenhunt worked with Bills Assistant GM Doug Whaley, who had been serving as Pittsburgh’s Pro Scouting Coordinator.
“We go way back. We won some Super Bowls together so I have high regard for his coaching acumen,” said Whaley. “Personally I know him and we’ll see what happens. I know he’s got a lot of opportunities. We haven’t decided. We still have to figure out what we’re going to do, but I can provide some insight on how he performed when I was with him.”
The Cardinals struggled offensively this past season as they used a total of four different quarterbacks. They also lost their top two running backs for the most of the 2012 season and their starting left tackle was out for the year due to injury.
The Bills were clear that their search will not be restricted to candidates with prior head coaching experience.
“The percentages of being successful is hiring a guy that's done it,” said Nix. “But we're not going to limit that. We'll be open. Might be a college guy, might be a coordinator. We're just going to try and make sure we get the best guy.”

HC fishes and loaves
Arizona - Reid/Haley/Horton/McCoy/Smith
Buffalo - Whisenhunt/Smith/Kelly/McCoy/Marrone/Horton
Chicago - Sullivan/McCoy/Armstrong/Carmichael/Clements/Decamillus/Arians
Cleveland - Kelly/Horton/Whisenhunt/Marrone
Kansas City - Reid/Armstrong/Marrone?
Philly - Kelly/Armstrong/Nolan/McCoy/Marrone?/O'Brien
San Diego - Arians/Reid/Whisenhunt

Observations
15 names for 7 openings, including 8 for the 4 teams DM is linked to.
The Bears seem to have the most independent list, other than McCoy and Armstrong who are interviewing everywhere.
The big three to watch are Reid, Kelly and Smith, then Whisenhunt - they could cover all teams with alleged interest in Marrone if it breaks right.
San Diego has no GM, so they will likely be the last to fill their opening (i.e., scratch Reid and probably Whisenhunt).
Will probably see more candidates emerge after this weeks wild card games.

[List edited to add names others brought up below.]
Saw an article in USA Today that O'Brien has a ridiculous buyout clause in his contract - could be between $9M and $18M if someone wants him this year.

HC fishes and loaves
Chicago - Sullivan/McCoy/Armstrong/Carmichael/Clements/Decamillus
Philly - Kelly/Armstrong/Nolan/McCoy/Marrone?

Observations
The Bears seem to have the most independent list, other than McCoy and Armstrong who are interviewing everywhere.
The big three to watch are Reid, Kelly and Smith, then Whisenhunt - they could cover all teams with alleged interest in Marrone if it breaks right.
San Diego has no GM, so they will likely be the last to fill their opening (i.e., scratch Reid and probably Whisenhunt).

Philly's talking about O'Brien from PSU, too.

HC fishes and loaves
Chicago - Sullivan/McCoy/Armstrong/Carmichael/Clements/Decamillus
Philly - Kelly/Armstrong/Nolan/McCoy/Marrone?

Observations

Good list...Cleveland is out a GM as well, which makes it a tough sell to a coach until they hire someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom