Maryland got $20M - $30M for travel | Syracusefan.com

Maryland got $20M - $30M for travel

Townie72

All American
if i was a ad in the big i would my travel covered also-

According to the Baltimore Sun, The U. of MD got $20 to $30 million from the Big Ten to offset increased travel costs associated with the Big Ten.

Rutgers got $5 worth of tokens for the Chicago El train. In fact, the Big Ten said they were really only interested in the cable subscribers and would prefer to have taken them and have left the school behind if they could have.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-travel-0315-20130314,0,1297978.story

Wow. The B1G really bent over backwards to get UMd in. Don't know if that's a sustainable model for expansion long term but I suppose if their future projections on the B1G network at $1 or so a head per month in the new territories they pick up is accurate, then that could make those kinds of concessions work.

The B1G wanted to damage the ACC and they put on the full-court press to do so and it worked. Maryland was broke and money talks.

Wow. The B1G really bent over backwards to get UMd in. Don't know if that's a sustainable model for expansion long term but I suppose if their future projections on the B1G network at $1 or so a head per month in the new territories they pick up is accurate, then that could make those kinds of concessions work.

I get the Big Ten Network, b ut it may be part of a sports package I have. I have never watched and wouldn't pat 5 cents a month for it f it were an alacarte option.

I doubt New Jerseyans are going to not raise a ruckus if it isn't added to the basic package. Marylanders might as there is much more support in MD for UMCP athletics here.

So, is this subsidy in perpetuity? Or is it just a stopgap for a certain number of years until they stabilize? That would be the key for me. And lol at Rutgers - either they didn't think to ask for this, or they were turned down. I don't care what kind of spin Pernetti tries to put on this ("I don't think it's so much about subsidies," Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti said Thursday. "We were comfortable from the beginning that the revenues are going to equitably address the travel situation"). It's all OK because Rutgers is so much closer to B1G territory than MD. :rolleyes:

So, is this subsidy in perpetuity? Or is it just a stopgap for a certain number of years until they stabilize? That would be the key for me. And lol at Rutgers - either they didn't think to ask for this, or they were turned down. I don't care what kind of spin Pernetti tries to put on this ("I don't think it's so much about subsidies," Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti said Thursday. "We were comfortable from the beginning that the revenues are going to equitably address the travel situation"). It's all OK because Rutgers is so much closer to B1G territory than MD. :rolleyes:
I think it's probably over period of years. like 5 or 10.

By the way, this is being leaked to put some water on the fires. No one in Maryland likes this move to the Big Ten except the top level of the University. The whole idea is to bail them out after years of financial mis-management and flaky book keeping.

Everyone knows this stuff from Rutger's Pernetti is just spin. They were desperate. They had been raiding $25 million a year from the students and general fund and were stuck in the NNNBE. I'll bet the Big Ten really stuck it to them. I wonder how many people in NJ are dumb enough so that they can't see through these obvious lies.

Good question. Who isn't going to ask for a similar or better deal when the B1G approaches them in the future?

Good question. Who isn't going to ask for a similar or better deal when the B1G approaches them in the future?

Answer to that question is easy.

How much leverage does the school have? Are they in a conference they like today? Are their athletic department books balanced or are they bleeding red ink? Are they going to have to sell this conference switching to a skeptical alumni and/or fan base?

How bad does the B1G want or need them?

The price for a school like UNC is going to be a lot higher than for those without a good choice. How hard do you think UConn would negotiate right now?

It's the difference between having a flat on a family trip and having to buy a tire on the Thruway versus shopping for a tire without an immediate need on a street with 10 competing tire dealers. Think there's any difference in the price you'll pay on the Thruway?

Answer to that question is easy.

How much leverage does the school have? Are they in a conference they like today? Are their athletic department books balanced or are they bleeding red ink? Are they going to have to sell this conference switching to a skeptical alumni and/or fan base?

How bad does the B1G want or need them?

The price for a school like UNC is going to be a lot higher than for those without a good choice. How hard do you think UConn would negotiate right now?

It's the difference between having a flat on a family trip and having to buy a tire on the Thruway versus shopping for a tire without an immediate need on a street with 10 competing tire dealers. Think there's any difference in the price you'll pay on the Thruway?

By the same token, Delany could argue when talking to UVA and UNC about becoming #15 and #16 that their move would effectively create an Eastern division (PSU, UVA, UNC, UMd, Rutgers, OSU, and MSU) with manageable trips for the Olympic sports. And with 6-7 million more cable subscribers on board, we're talking about $150 million or so more a year that these two schools could bring in value to the B1G network based on the conference's projections. Who needs a subsidy? Not saying it would happen but it gives you an idea of the challenges that Swofford faces.

By the same token, Delany could argue when talking to UVA and UNC about becoming #15 and #16 that their move would effectively create an Eastern division (PSU, UVA, UNC, UMd, Rutgers, OSU, and MSU) with manageable trips for the Olympic sports. And with 6-7 million more cable subscribers on board, we're talking about $150 million or so more a year that these two schools could bring in value to the B1G network based on the conference's projections. Who needs a subsidy? Not saying it would happen but it gives you an idea of the challenges that Swofford faces.

It's got nothing to do with what they are worth ... up to a point.

Its what they can negotiate. Maryland may not be worth more than Rutgers if all they are looking at is cable subscribers in home states. But because Maryland was in a better position ---- not so desperate --- they could demand more money from the Big Ten. They had an alternative to joining the B1G and the B1G knew it. So they got more. Its not because they were worth more.

Let's say you are out of work and another person is employed. You are both talking with a company about a job. Who do you think will be more successful negotiating a higher salary?

how much more can the big offer once the acc gets its network up and running?

who knows in 10 years basketball might be the money driver- and the acc would be king

The B1G wanted to damage the ACC and they put on the full-court press to do so and it worked. Maryland was broke and money talks.

That's just it...they wanted to hurt the ACC, but it didn't happen. They think UNC and UVA would follow MD? Ha! Now the BiG is stuck with a school that can't pay it's own athletics tab and will be setting up 3-day carpools to get to Iowa. UMD fans will be beside themselves in three years.

That $20-30 mil will be used to pay off debt, so they'll be back to Greyhound and hitchhiking anyway. ;)

I would argue that this is only partially true. Their attempt only worked temporarily. The damage was minimal. While the Louisville market is a net loss compared to Baltimore, adding U of L athletics is a net gain. Unquestionably. Their fan support is also markedly better than UMD's.

Honestly, as a long time ACC fan, Maryland's decision was quite disappointing. They were a founding member. But, if they do not want to be here, I'd prefer that we have somebody we want, and, who wants to be here. Louisville does. Thats good enough for me.

I would argue that this is only partially true. Their attempt only worked temporarily. The damage was minimal. While the Louisville market is a net loss compared to Baltimore, adding U of L athletics is a net gain. Unquestionably. Their fan support is also markedly better than UMD's.

Honestly, as a long time ACC fan, Maryland's decision was quite disappointing. They were a founding member. But, if they do not want to be here, I'd prefer that we have somebody we want, and, who wants to be here. Louisville does. Thats good enough for me.

Maryland didn't want to leave. They had to leave because of the financial hole they had dug for themselves. The B1G was a lifeline they never expected to get. When it was thrown to them the top level of the University knew it had to take the invitation.

Maryland didn't want to leave. They had to leave because of the financial hole they had dug for themselves. The B1G was a lifeline they never expected to get. When it was thrown to them the top level of the University knew it had to take the invitation.

Point taken. But, it was no secret here in NC that they'd longed for the B10 for years. This was the perfect chance to jump.

I still wonder why NCSU would hire their former AD, knowing what she'd done at UMD. Now, they are our arch rivals, and, I'd love to see her turn their athletic department into a black hole. But, the UNC BOGs won't let her get them in that deep.

The AD actually paid down UMD's athletic department, just not enough and without offending almost everyone.