Masters of swag | Syracusefan.com

Masters of swag

GooseMutt

All Conference
Dior has swag. He’s a talker. He’s a doer. He embarasses people athletically. He pumps his teammates up.
Joe G has swag and attitude.

Which Cuse players over the years had serious swag?
Who was the best?

A few others:
1. Wallace- especially his senior year. Will never forget the back and forth he had with Dontae Jones in the Final 4.
2. Jonny- had perhaps the most SWAG moment in SU basketball history courtesy of Mike Rosario at the RAC.
3. Scoop- one of the most underrated players in terms of his swagger and confidence.
4. Melo- he did it in a different way with a smile on his face the whole time.
5. Pearl- again he did it in a different way and was part of his legend.

Biggest trash talkers at SU:

1. Eric Devendorf
2. John Wallace/Jonny Flynn

3. Whoever is next.

Flynn was the swaggiest, and his disappearance off the face of the earth pains me to this day. Jonny was the most charismatic player we've ever had. Bring him back on staff and he will land 5 stars left and right. The Flynn-Harris-Devendorf backcourt was swaggiest all time, and Onuaku and Big *ick Rick were low key swaggy as well. Dion absolutely deserves a shout-out, he is an all time swagger hound.

A few others:
1. Wallace- especially his senior year. Will never forget the back and forth he had with Dontae Jones in the Final 4.
2. Jonny- had perhaps the most SWAG moment in SU basketball history courtesy of Mike Rosario at the RAC.
3. Scoop- one of the most underrated players in terms of his swagger and confidence.

Great call out on JDub. If I recall correctly, Jones was talking smack all game long -- hit a shot over John and got all extra demonstrative. Wallace came back and scored on him the next possession, and started woofing back. Next time down the court, Wallace forced a Jones miss -- and then called for the ball on the other end... and scored over him again.

That's when he did that famous hand gesture, telling Jones to bring it.

One thing about being a @#%^ talker -- you'd better have the chops to back it up. Wallace did, unlike Jones.

Dior has swag. He’s a talker. He’s a doer. He embarasses people athletically. He pumps his teammates up.
Joe G has swag and attitude.

Which Cuse players over the years had serious swag?
Who was the best?

Louie McCroskey would be on the all anti-swag team. Like he thought he was Dion Waiters when he had Celine Dion’s game.

Underrated one in this category: Jason Hart.

I should add Hart’s four year teammate Etan Thomas too. Those guys got after it and played with a lot of confidence and belief.

I’ll never forget Etan seeming to openly frighten Troy Murphy.(Ryan Blackwell played some tough D on Murphy too)

Louie McCroskey would be on the all anti-swag team. Like he thought he was Dion Waiters when he had Celine Dion’s game.

He dunked on Hilton Armstrong and then talked crap to him...when we were losing 40-19 or something.

Embarrassing. That’s “fake toughness” that Jay Bilas wrote about in his book.

I should add Hart’s four year teammate Etan Thomas too. Those guys got after it and played with a lot of confidence and belief.

I’ll never forget Etan seeming to openly frighten Troy Murphy.(Ryan Blackwell played some tough D on Murphy too)

Didn't Etan lead the country in blocked shots, or right near the top, for his last couple years?

A few others:
I am glad you said Melo because he popped in my head right after the first 2-3 obvious ones everyone mentioned

Melo would smile and laugh and he dropped 25 &12 on your @$$ and thought it was hilarious that you even thought you could provide resistance. As opposed to Dion would get angry at you for thinking he wasn’t the greatest.

Maybe its inner swag vs outer swag? Either way, I loved it at Cuse and even at Denver & in the Olympics I thought he had it. NY robbed him of it imo...

Flynn was the swaggiest, and his disappearance off the face of the earth pains me to this day. Jonny was the most charismatic player we've ever had. Bring him back on staff and he will land 5 stars left and right. The Flynn-Harris-Devendorf backcourt was swaggiest all time, and Onuaku and Big *ick Rick were low key swaggy as well. Dion absolutely deserves a shout-out, he is an all time swagger hound.

The shorts of that era added to the swag IMO.

I agree with the names mentioned. I think swag can be displayed in different ways.

Pearl and Melo always seemed to be smiling. They had the attitude that they were having fun because nobody could stop them.

Wallace and Dion had the attitude that said “give me the ball and get out of the way. Nobody is stopping me”.

DC just wanted to kick your @ss physically and crush your spirit.

Being an alpha requires the right mental attitude and the skill set to back it up. We’ve only had few (in my opinion) true alphas. I often wonder how things would have been if, for example, Billy Owens had John Wallace’s attitude. Billy was as skilled a player as we have ever had, but didn’t seem to have that extra drive that folks like JW had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom