McCord - ESPN comparison | Syracusefan.com

McCord - ESPN comparison

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
This was in a breakdown of CFB QB’s on ESPN. Just an interesting nugget of info.

“OK, one last comparison:
QB A: 84.1 Total QBR, 65.4% completions, 8.8 yards-per-attempt, 3.3 TD-to-INT rate, played with a first-round draft pick at receiver.
QB B: 83.8 Total QBR, 65.8% completions, 9.1 yards-per-attempt, 4.0 TD-to-INT rate, played with a first-round draft pick at receiver.

Tough call, right? If anything, perhaps a slight edge to QB B, but both were excellent.

And you'd be right to praise QB A. That was Washington's Penix, who played for a national title and was taken with the eighth pick in the NFL draft. The other guy? That's McCord, who was largely seen as a disappointment in his lone year as the starter at Ohio State. He transferred this offseason to Syracuse where, it should be noted, he'll have a solid receiving corps again with Oronde Gadsden II, Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes, playing his home games on the turf indoors and doing it without the massive expectations that come with being QB1 in Columbus.”

To be fair you cherry picked just one example of numbers and numbers In a vacuum without context only mean so much. There were several QB’s with better numbers than McCord.

But McCord was pretty darn good last year and there is no reason to think he can’t and will not improve this year after being a first year QB. He won’t have quite the same weapons he had at OSU but I think he will still have a good deal of talent to work with. I think he will do very well.

I think it was ESPN who did the cherry picking. I think they make a fair point - which I believe was that two QBs with similar numbers can be perceived to be very different.

It will be different for McCord this year behind a Syracuse line. At the same time, some of the competition will be lesser. He may very well feel like he can perform without a great weight on his shoulders.

To be fair you cherry picked just one example of numbers and numbers In a vacuum without context only mean so much. There were several QB’s with better numbers than McCord.

But McCord was pretty darn good last year and there is no reason to think he can’t and will not improve this year after being a first year QB. He won’t have quite the same weapons he had at OSU but I think he will still have a good deal of talent to work with. I think he will do very well.

Maybe you cherry picked my post and didn’t read what I wrote. I copied and pasted this from ESPN. This is everything they wrote. I didn’t cherry pick anything. I was passing on info about our new QB to anyone who was interested in case they didn’t see it on espn

Maybe you cherry picked my post and didn’t read what I wrote. I copied and pasted this from ESPN. This is everything they wrote. I didn’t cherry pick anything. I was passing on info about our new QB to anyone who was interested in case they didn’t see it on espn
Great post. Simply said, we have an elite QB. Top 4 in the ACC. This is going to be a huge year for McCord and I think he is completely ready for the challenge at hand. I seriously think people are underestimating our chances of winning 9-10 games this year. I put it this way, which QB we face this year is better than McCord? Maybe some will be the same level yes, but who is better? I can’t name one. That means a lot, we all know how important QBs are to a team. It makes a good team a great team.

Great post. Simply said, we have an elite QB. Top 4 in the ACC. This is going to be a huge year for McCord and I think he is completely ready for the challenge at hand. I seriously think people are underestimating our chances of winning 9-10 games this year. I put it this way, which QB we face this year is better than McCord? Maybe some will be the same level yes, but who is better? I can’t name one. That means a lot, we all know how important QBs are to a team. It makes a good team a great team.

If you just look at the fact we have a legit QB on the team that we know can throw passes for an entire football season. That alone makes us more than competitive. Then you add in all the other pieces that Fran has added to the team. There’s no reason this team can’t do damage this. There’ll be hiccups for sure. But talent, speed, and hard nosed coaching can counter those hiccups I believe.

Correct. I shouldn't have said you cherry picked it but instead said it is cherry picked data. Also the data presented doesn't really give total stat quantities as Penix had 4900 passing yds and 36 TD's and McCord had 3100 passing yds and 24 TD's. That provides a little more context. But I do still certainly agree with the general sentiment that Kyle McCord is more talented than the publics general perception of him. And he should only get better with another year.

Correct. I shouldn't have said you cherry picked it but instead said it is cherry picked data. Also the data presented doesn't really give total stat quantities as Penix had 4900 passing yds and 36 TD's and McCord had 3100 passing yds and 24 TD's. That provides a little more context. But I do still certainly agree with the general sentiment that Kyle McCord is more talented than the publics general perception of him. And he should only get better with another year.
I don't think knowing those two extra facts colors the analysis significantly. The more relevant fact, IMO (once the cat is out of the bag) is the level of competition.

I honestly would take Cam Ward at Miami over Kyle for sure. Maaaybe Grayson McCall at NC ST, maybe. Besides that McCord clears everyone else and it ain't close.

One QB played in a faster paced more passing centric offense thus more throws and less runs.

The take that is shown is that if Penix was playing this year he would not be a tier 6 QB on this ESPN report. At worst a level 2.

in McCord was playing at OSU this year he would not be a tier 6 QB either.

He might have to throw more at SU just because we might have more games we need to chase to win.

He also wont be throwing against nearly the same D's he played last year.

But he was 18-31 for 271 with 2 tds and 2 picks. against the Best D he played last year. Without the last pick they might win the game and maybe Mich doesn't win the title and OSU does.

If he plays at that level here with less talent on O but also less quality in the Ds it might balance out.

People also forget he only had thrown 60 passes before last year. He could also take a leap forward off season 1 of really playing ,

What I like the most is the offense has players with very different strengths. OG, Villari, Haynes, Pena, Allen, Willis. All very different guys. I see the gameplan really changing each week and at HT based on the opponent. Nothing will be force fed.

This was in a breakdown of CFB QB’s on ESPN. Just an interesting nugget of info.

“OK, one last comparison:
QB A: 84.1 Total QBR, 65.4% completions, 8.8 yards-per-attempt, 3.3 TD-to-INT rate, played with a first-round draft pick at receiver.
QB B: 83.8 Total QBR, 65.8% completions, 9.1 yards-per-attempt, 4.0 TD-to-INT rate, played with a first-round draft pick at receiver.

Tough call, right? If anything, perhaps a slight edge to QB B, but both were excellent.

And you'd be right to praise QB A. That was Washington's Penix, who played for a national title and was taken with the eighth pick in the NFL draft. The other guy? That's McCord, who was largely seen as a disappointment in his lone year as the starter at Ohio State. He transferred this offseason to Syracuse where, it should be noted, he'll have a solid receiving corps again with Oronde Gadsden II, Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes, playing his home games on the turf indoors and doing it without the massive expectations that come with being QB1 in Columbus.”
They left out the WR who may be our best one: Ross-Simmons. And Peña. Lots of weapons.

No worries, I likely overreacted a bit which is my most consistent quality in life. It’s all good.

I honestly would take Cam Ward at Miami over Kyle for sure. Maaaybe Grayson McCall at NC ST, maybe. Besides that McCord clears everyone else and it ain't close.
Can ward I get. I think McCord and ward are 6 in one and half a dozen in the other.

McCall is just a notch under McCord in my opinion. But, very solid. He has played a lot more snaps for sure so I get that. But, McCord put up a 24 tds to 6 ints against big 10 defenses. McCall threw the same amount of ints in 7 games last year with just 10 tds. Give me the guy who played a top 10 hardest schedule last year and threw over 3k yards with good ball security. Again, both are great options to lead any ACC school.

PS I’m biased

I expect our defensive line led by Diggs to be very good. With him as leader I expect players like Perry to start becoming the monster we need in the middle of the line.

Can ward I get. I think McCord and ward are 6 in one and half a dozen in the other.

McCall is just a notch under McCord in my opinion. But, very solid. He has played a lot more snaps for sure so I get that. But, McCord put up a 24 tds to 6 ints against big 10 defenses. McCall threw the same amount of ints in 7 games last year with just 10 tds. Give me the guy who played a top 10 hardest schedule last year and threw over 3k yards with good ball security. Again, both are great options to lead any ACC school.

PS I’m biased
McCall had a down year for whatever reason but was extremely efficient in his previous couple years. He will do really well under Anae at NC State this year.

From this article below that has already been posted on this site, McCord was ranked 9th in the ACC. That is BS. Somehow they have Klubnik and Tyler Shough of Louisville ahead of McCord which is just shite. I see it as Cam Ward is a little ahead of the next group. I think the 2-6 QB's are pretty equal with some being better in certain areas and McCord falls in that 2-6 grouping. But this is preseason projecting and the actual results can change dramatically as we have seen happen recently with ACC QB production.

ACC football quarterback rankings: Post-spring projections ahead of 2024 season

McCall had a down year for whatever reason but was extremely efficient in his previous couple years. He will do really well under Anae at NC State this year.

From this article below that has already been posted on this site, McCord was ranked 9th in the ACC. That is BS. Somehow they have Klubnik and Tyler Shough of Louisville ahead of McCord which is just shite. I see it as Cam Ward is a little ahead of the next group. I think the 2-6 QB's are pretty equal with some being better in certain areas and McCord falls in that 2-6 grouping. But this is preseason projecting and the actual results can change dramatically as we have seen happen recently with ACC QB production.

ACC football quarterback rankings: Post-spring projections ahead of 2024 season
Edit: Should say 2-7 QB's are pretty much equal.