McCullough at the 5 next year | Syracusefan.com

McCullough at the 5 next year

pearl31

in cahoots
OK, let's say Bryant goes elsewhere and DC can contribute but not big minutes. Looking at it today, Jan 29 2015, I would surmise that our best lineup would be:
5: McCullough
4: Roberson
3: G or Malachi
2: Cooney
1: Joseph or G

Now, would Chris be willing to be the center as he plays for his spot in the draft? Would he be solid enough as a defender at the 5? Would it be mis/under utilizing his skillset at the 5?

pearl31 said:
OK, let's say Bryant goes elsewhere and DC can contribute but not big minutes. Looking at it today, Jan 29 2015, I would surmise that our best lineup would be: 5: McCullough 4: Roberson 3: G or Malachi 2: Cooney 1: Joseph or G Now, would Chris be willing to be the center as he plays for his spot in the draft? Would he be solid enough as a defender at the 5? Would it be mis/under utilizing his skillset at the 5?

We'd be asking someone who is too soft to play the 4 to play the 5.

He has no back to the basket game.

And he'd foul out very quickly.

We'd be asking someone who is too soft to play the 4 to play the 5.

He has no back to the basket game.

And he'd foul out very quickly.
What if he has beefed up / toughened up some by then?

OK, let's say Bryant goes elsewhere and DC can contribute but not big minutes. Looking at it today, Jan 29 2015, I would surmise that our best lineup would be:
5: McCullough
4: Roberson
3: G or Malachi
2: Cooney
1: Joseph or G

Now, would Chris be willing to be the center as he plays for his spot in the draft? Would he be solid enough as a defender at the 5? Would it be mis/under utilizing his skillset at the 5?

I would think Diagne would end up starting at center them... However I do think we get Bryant and if not I do expect Coleman to play a lot of minutes.

I'm trying to figure out the lure of putting a PF at C (except in a pinch) and a SF at PF (except in a pinch). I understand that we're doing that now out of necessity, and that different configurations can be handy depending on match-ups (see Brey's use of 5 perimeter guys last night against Duke). Certainly, CM at the 5 at 6-10 is not as big a stretch as TR playing PF at 6-7/6-8 200 pounds (and no back-to-the-basket game). But either way, the metrics tell the story.

Last edited:

Going to be pretty tough to put on that kind of weight/muscle while rehabbing from this injury. I mean, he has to anyway, but what is the weight differential between him and Rak right now? 30 pounds, and I think that is being very generous to Chris. Possible, but unlikely. The one upside of the rehab is that he won't be playing a ton, so that reduced cardio will help him gain some weight.

He's got the length for it, but size-wise he would get eaten alive.

I'm trying to figure out the lure of putting a PF at C (except in a pinch) and a SF at PF (except in a pinch). I understand that different configurations can be handy depending on matchups (see Brey's use of 5 perimeter guys last night against Duke) ... but why would we want a 230 pound guy at center when our current (and very strong) 250 pound guys barely holds his own rebounding against bigger teams? And why would we want to play a 6-7 to 6-8, 200 pound guy at PF, a player with no back-to-the-basket game at all?
I would just counter that, the object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

I would just counter that, the object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

True, but the most important way JB tries to accomplish that task is through the defense. And having an obvious weakness like a 220 pound center matching up against 250-275 guys is not the way to get that done.

True, but the most important way JB tries to accomplish that task is through the defense. And having an obvious weakness like a 220 pound center matching up against 250-275 guys is not the way to get that done.
I hear you, but he clearly had enough confidence in him (yeah it could be argued he had little choice considering the options) to be the 5 in place of Rak as a scrawny, inexperienced freshman

pearl31 said:

Maybe.

Chris is a tweener.

He's a finesse 4.

He needs to get stronger, tougher, but he also needs to work on his handle and shooting. High ceiling, but he needs bust his butt once he's healthy again.

And to do that you have to be able to rebound the basketball and defend the rim. This is exactly why JB has been moaning about being so small in the pressers lately ... because loosing a 6'10 power forward, and having to play a smaller guy in that spot, hurts the team -- especially against top 20-level front lines.

Maybe.

Chris is a tweener.

He's a finesse 4.

He needs to get stronger, tougher, but he also needs to work on his handle and shooting. High ceiling, but he needs bust his butt once he's healthy again.
CM is a PF growing into his body.

TR is a small forward growing into his shot.

Last edited:
I guess part of what I'm trying to say with this thread... one of my concerns for next year is with the logjam at a few of the positions there won't be enough available minutes for Malachi - I feel it is his infusion of offense/scoring that will be the difference in whether the team is good or contender-good

Meeks on UNC is 280. That's one of the reasons Roberson had some difficulties the other night.

Sounds like the development of Diagne and Obokoh will be immensely critical.
Obokoh has the body he just needs more playing time and practice. Hope he gets involved in something over the summer.

I guess part of what I'm trying to say with this thread... one of my concerns for next year is with the logjam at a few of the positions there won't be enough available minutes for Malachi - I feel it is his infusion of offense/scoring that will be the difference in whether the team is good or contender-good
Even if Malachi is as good as advertised, there will be an adjustment to this level of play. First, he'll need to come up to D-1 speed, then he'll have to adjust to ACC speed. So with an established starter at SG, he'll come in and spell TC and give him some much-needed rest. Also, on days when TC's not hitting, he'll get minutes. And when TC moves over and KJ comes out, that will give Malachi an opportunity to play with TC and get his feet wet and show what he can do.

I love the idea of having a rotation with TC, MR and MG at the 1,2 3 ... lots of scoring potential there. No disrespect to KJ or TR .. those guys have talent and will be able to contribute in other ways. In fact, JB likes to bring offense off the bench. So he may want to start TR at the 3 and let MG come in and bring some scoring punch. Against bigger teams, however, I don't think we'll see TR playing much 4, or CM playing a lot of center at 230 lbs -- assuming we have other options available like TB and/or a healthy DC2.

Last edited:
reedny said:
CM is a PF growing into his body. TR is a small forward growing his shot.

TR needs to work on his handle as well. But he's a great rebounder and needs to play near the basket.

Interestingly enough, Obokoh is only listed at 215 himself. That shocked me.

Well, JB is on record saying TR's natural position is 4
Is that why JB's been whining about having smaller guys inside who're getting pushed around? Obviously, we got killed on the glass against UNC ... Roberson played 35 minutes and got 3 boards. 3. I'm not saying he played poorly -- actually, he had a good game offensively (6-9 shooting). But he just couldn't compete on the low block, and their huge margin on the glass (+15) was the difference in the game. They're efficient offensively, and they used the extra possessions (from rebounding) to offset their TO's... and we couldn't overcome that.

At any rate, Tyler's a face-up player, not a low block player. He doesn't have the size or bulk to finish or defend inside against bigger teams. Smaller teams, sure, because he's such a talented rebounder and he's very athletic. But other than that, there's no reason to have a skinny SF down low when bigger, stronger guys are available.

Last edited:
Roberson played 35 minutes and got 3 boards. 3.
Dude is averaging double digit rebounds per game in league and you're using this as your proof? NC's is an abnormally huge front line, and yeah he was out-muscled but he also got to alot of balls to keep posessions alive that don't show up as stats. Game before, against a sizeable Miami front line he finished w/ 14 boards.
Also, a power forward does not have to be some hulking dude with a back-to-basket game - look around the country and look at some of our recent teams - J.Grant last year, Southerland 12-13 season, CJ Fair/K.Joseph for a good part of the 11-12 season...

Last edited:
didnt meeks lose like 50 lbs this offseason too?

Meeks played his high school ball here in Charlotte...he has shed the majority of his weight over the past couple of years. He was a load in high school...

Roberson is a clear cut PF. Chris is a clear cut SF. Maybe not on SU, but in general thats what they are. Chris could absolutely be our starting center next year by default. There is zero chance, zero, that Diagne or Obokoh would start over him if that was the other option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom