McCullough Moving Up | Syracusefan.com

McCullough Moving Up

Doc5120

Starter
After a rough end to the season, this helps me feel better about next season.

Note - this is an ESPN Insider article by Adam Finklestein

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruitingon-the-trail/post/_/id/9627/espn-100-biggest-risers

Below is the portion from the article about McCullough

Chris McCullough, Syracuse: With his motor continuing to be a concern and his game showing no notable improvements in the better part of the past two years, McCullough fell to an unprecedented low, 29th overall, earlier this winter. But he has responded in the two months since, finishing his career at IMG Academy and starting to show the renewed passion and energy level that help to maximize his almost limitless athletic tools. With unrivaled length, speed, athleticism and agility, he’s as good of a physical prospect as there is in the 2014 class, but there’s still work left to be done as he never has consistently committed himself to being the best player he can be. If, and when, he does, there will be few better NBA prospects coming out of this ESPN 100.

If he needs to work on his motor I am scared. The more I watch and see him I see Baylor's Isaiah Austin.
Austin is a 6'10" skilled big guy, but has been accused of not having a high motor and playing soft. I hope McCollough gets tough and angry to dominate in basketball because his skills look really great on tape.

He's the perfect player to underachieve but get drafted on potential anyway. I hate to be negative becausewe've enough of that lately, but you can see it coming a mile away with this one.
Unfortunately, I'm fearing you're right about this.

He's the perfect player to underachieve but get drafted on potential anyway. I hate to be negative becausewe've enough of that lately, but you can see it coming a mile away with this one.

I'm going to withhold my judgment until he plays, but I definitely can't disagree with you.
If he needs to work on his motor I am scared. The more I watch and see him I see Baylor's Isaiah Austin.
Austin is a 6'10" skilled big guy, but has been accused of not having a high motor and playing soft. I hope McCollough gets tough and angry to dominate in basketball because his skills look really great on tape.

Isaiah Austin is about as strong as I am (editor's note - not strong). I think McCullough will give us more than Austin showed in his time at Baylor. I'm encouraged that, according to Finklestein he's "starting to show the renewed passion and energy level that help to maximize his almost limitless athletic tools"

the negativity on this side these days is a total downer. Our best recruit is turning it up a notch and if he continues to do so will be one of the best prospects of his year. Sucks if he goes...but come on his working harder is a positive not a negative. Would you rather he underperform and stay two years playing sh**ty? can't win.

I get the educated guess hes been through alot lately off the court. A real lot, some rough times even a few on top of the whole brewster fiasco (which might have took a few months to get over as well).

I wouldn't be surprised if hes dying for a bigger stage, and will respond well to a crowded dome.

That article makes it sound like he has had a rough 2 years, I have had the impression it was only this year.

Last edited:
I get the educated guess hes been through alot lately off the court. A real lot, some rough times even outside of the whole brewster fiasco (which he probably took a few months to get over as well).
I wouldn't be surprised if hes dying for a bigger stage, and will respond well to a crowded dome.

That article makes it sound like he has had a rough 2 years, I have had the impression it was only this year.

I second this

This kid got hyped more on this board then any recruit I can remember.

If he is half as good his freshmen season as advertised I'll take it.

I hope for more though but can't fault a freshmen with "unrivaled" hype sense Carmelo

And unfortunately the zone fosters that issue. However, enough of our guys have made our system work for them, let's hope he can do it too.

He was ranked so high because of his athleticism alone, but he can use some one on one scoring. Hope he can develop a midrange jumper off the dribble over the summer.

I'll take Marvin Williams for 500, Alex...Hopefully, he'll be (or is) more committed than the writer says.

cuseinchina said:
the negativity on this side these days is a total downer. Our best recruit is turning it up a notch and if he continues to do so will be one of the best prospects of his year. Sucks if he goes...but come on his working harder is a positive not a negative. Would you rather he underperform and stay two years playing sh**ty? can't win.

It's not that. JB said he was our best recruit since Melo. But he hasn't performed like that over the last few years. He has enough great moments to piece together a nice highlight video, but it often doesn't translate over a game.

I'm certainly no expert on McCullough - although some felt I thought I was - but what I observed in two games was exactly what was expressed in that ESPN insider report.

When you see McCullough in warmups - long, lean and athletic - you expect him to dominate. I didn't see that.

I hope he's finally taking things seriously. He's a got a world of potential.

The only positive in that comparison is McCullough isn't nearly as rail thin as Austin, so his play soft level is a bit higher.

"With unrivaled length, speed, athleticism and agility, he’s as good of a physical prospect as there is in the 2014 class, but there’s still work left to be done as he never has consistently committed himself to being the best player he can be."

Sounds like Alex Poythress.

In the update rankings on ESPN.com McC is now #24, Kaleb Joseph is #50 in 2014 class.

Madbiker said:
In the update rankings on ESPN.com McC is now #24, Kaleb Joseph is #50 in 2014 class.

That must be draft status -- wink, wink -- because Joseph is more of a complete player right now.

There is no way that there are 23 better players in this class than McC.

There is also no way that there are 49 better players Kaleb Joseph.

I know I sound like a homer, but I'm incredibly excited about this tandem. If KJ gets the keys to the car, I think we see more up tempo play which would be good for McC.

Isn't Austin a good 7'0 with that skillset though? I know he is super thin.

The lack of a motor worries me too. Some coaches seem to be really good at getting everyone to play hard. I've never thought that was one of JB's strong points.

There is no way that there are 23 better players in this class than McC.

There is also no way that there are 49 better players Kaleb Joseph.

I know I sound like a homer, but I'm incredibly excited about this tandem. If KJ gets the keys to the car, I think we see more up tempo play which would be good for McC.
Is it that there is no way there are 23 better or 23 more talented? The two are not exactly the same.

Johnny Morant of hoops?