McD’s - Bazley | Syracusefan.com

McD’s - Bazley

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Reminder that Darius Bazley is playing in the McD’s All-American game tomorrow night. Set your DVR’s.

ESPN has expanded their coverage of the McD games and events. I dvr’d the East/West scrimmage that aired today.

Not that you can tell much from a structured scrimmage, but here’s a few thoughts on Bazley:

1) He’s your prototypical SU zone forward. Very long arms.
2) While he’s long, he’s super skinny right now. Probably 185lbs soaking wet. He struggled a bit with the bigger guys on the court. I hope he gets on a S&C program starting next week.
3) This is obviously a scrimmage/glorified practice, but Baz has been playing a bit timid. Not really aggressive, not looking for his own shot. The few moves he made were unsuccessful.
4) He’s been playing in the low post, but doesn’t look super comfortable down low. Rather poor rebounding position. Getting out rebounded multiple times.

Hopefully he performs better tomorrow. Probably not a guy that is going to shine in he McD format where ball-hogging and rapid shot taking is rewarded.

Last edited:
Reminder that Darius Bazley is playing in the McD’s All-American game tomorrow night. Set your DVR’s.

ESPN has expanded their coverage of the McD games and events. I dvr’d the East/West scrimmage that aired today.

Not that you can tell much from a structured scrimmage, but here’s a few thoughts on Bazley:

1) He’s your prototypical SU zone forward. Very long arms.
2) While he’s long, he’s super skinny right now. Probably 185lbs soaking wet. He struggled a bit with the bigger guys on the court. I hope he gets on a S&C program starting next week.
3) This is obviously a scrimmage/glorified practice, but Baz has been playing a bit timid. Not really aggressive, not looking for his own shot. The few months he made were unsuccessful.
4) He’s been playing in the low post, but doesn’t look super comfortable down low. Rather poor rebounding position. Getting out rebounded multiple times.

Hopefully he performs better tomorrow. Probably not a guy that is going to shine in he McD format where ball-hogging and rapid shot taking is rewarded.

Last point is spot on. He's not the typical McDAA, and I think that's a good thing - from what I saw in the scrimmage, he looks like a player that's much more comfortable playing the team sport of basketball. Hoping to see a much more fluid offense next year moving the ball with him on the court.

Agreed...key with him is getting on campus asap and putting on 15-20 pounds if possible

Last point is spot on. He's not the typical McDAA, and I think that's a good thing - from what I saw in the scrimmage, he looks like a player that's much more comfortable playing the team sport of basketball. Hoping to see a much more fluid offense next year moving the ball with him on the court.
I keep reading people comp him with Lamar Odom, and that would be great. I am seeing a Stacy Augmon type from UNLV's glory days.

Yes, I posted this in another thread but he needs to get that upper body stronger asap. Watching clips from the practices he is SO much skinnier than the other PF/SF burger boys. Operates like a SF/SG but he’s not Durant quick nor is he as big as Odom. Or as strong as Bagley. He’s obviously super skilled and a team player but it’s going to take awhile for him to be successful doing much in the paint, IMO. This week isn’t his day to day scene in Cincinnati where the talent level is a joke in basketball. Even D1.

Probably not a guy that is going to shine in he McD format where ball-hogging and rapid shot taking is rewarded.

This is obviously a minor thing but I feel like a variation of this has been said about every recruit we’ve had play in the McDonalds game going back to Carmelo. Just once I’d like to see one of our guys kill it in that game.

That Zion cat is interesting. Keeps gaining weight but still explosive. Looks like a taller Barkley-Auburn version but with more junk in the trunk.

Agreed...key with him is getting on campus asap and putting on 15-20 pounds if possible

These guys have trouble adding bulk until they are a bit older .. he’ll be a beast when he’s 21 ..unfortunately that doesn’t help us

These guys have trouble adding bulk until they are a bit older .. he’ll be a beast when he’s 21 ..unfortunately that doesn’t help us

I hear you but you should see some of the other forwards in this game. Beasts.

That Zion cat is interesting. Keeps gaining weight but still explosive. Looks like a taller Barkley-Auburn version but with more junk in the trunk.
Scary good. Duke’s just reloading.

Kind of yeah but like 3-4 inches shorter? Kemp was lean and diesel. Zion looks fat but still pretty explosive. I don’t know. I can’t even compare him to anybody really.
If that’s fat, Dajuan Coleman was morbidly obese.

Zion looks like he’s built like a linebacker or pass rushing defensive end.

If that’s fat, Dajuan Coleman was morbidly obese.

Zion looks like he’s built like a linebacker or pass rushing defensive end.

I hear ya but he still looks overweight to me. More soft than jacked.

FWIW a few scouts said Bazley was really impressive in practice on Twitter.

Zion is impressive dunking, but he literally does nothing else. Kind of think Duke takes a step back next year as they will have no shooting or size.

This is obviously a minor thing but I feel like a variation of this has been said about every recruit we’ve had play in the McDonalds game going back to Carmelo. Just once I’d like to see one of our guys kill it in that game.
Winfred Walton convinced me he was going to be player of the year in his McDonald's game.

Winfred Walton convinced me he was going to be player of the year in his McDonald's game.

That’s funny I was just thinking that it would be so obvious that Winfred Walton would play well in that game.

Watch a replay of Flynn. He was co-MVP.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do in the McD AA game. But as I have said before those of you expecting a low post rebounding power forward will be very disappointed in Bazely. That's not his game. I saw him play 3 times in person this year. All around team player cones to mind. He is not a back to the basket player. More of a face the basket drive or shoot and always willing to hit the open guy. He s 6'9" but closer to a SG than a PF.
He had a tremendous height advantage in high school but didn't post up very much. More typical was getting the ball on the wing or corner and driving the lane. As opposed to OB this year Bazely would take the 8 foot floater. He will be very good but a better comparison in his style may be a taller Lawrence Moten but a much better 3 or shooter than Poetry.
Obviously needs to get stronger but I'd rather see him shoot a couple thousand 3s a day. He will shoot more 3s next year than entry passes he receives.

Last edited:
FWIW a few scouts said Bazley was really impressive in practice on Twitter.

Zion is impressive dunking, but he literally does nothing else. Kind of think Duke takes a step back next year as they will have no shooting or size.

I hope this kid is Paul Harris’ish for Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom