McShay: Nassib's arm 'vastly overrated' | Syracusefan.com

McShay: Nassib's arm 'vastly overrated'

Overrated by who? Pretty sure everyone on this board knows this... Maybe Mr. McShay needs to do a bit more scouting in season.

Overrated by who? Pretty sure everyone on this board knows this... Maybe Mr. McShay needs to do a bit more scouting in season.

Lol, did he think he was Troy Aikman?

I'm not sure arm strength is the issue here, as McShay seems to imply. I think he can throw a good ball 60+ yards. Obviously, as we all know, it's the accuracy and touch on those deep balls that has always been a problem with Nassib, and I'm not quite sure how you fix that, especially if he ends up in a system with the same coaches he had in college.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that I genuinely hope Ryan goes in the first two rounds. Not so much for the recognition it'd bring to the school, but as a reward for all the hard work he's put in here.

But having seen his full body of work over 3 1/2 years, do any of you (in your heart of hearts) really think of Ryan as a first or second round QB?

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that I genuinely hope Ryan goes in the first two rounds. Not so much for the recognition it'd bring to the school, but as a reward for all the hard work he's put in here.

But having seen his full body of work over 3 1/2 years, do any of you (in your heart of hearts) really think of Ryan as a first or second round QB?

...perhaps not in past years, but this isn't exactly a stellar QB draft class...

...perhaps not in past years, but this isn't exactly a stellar QB draft class...

My god how far has Matt Barkley fallen? I have seen people put Nassib ahead of him or close to him.

First round for his brains and physical toughness, maybe.

It's amazing, as a chronicler of everything SU, to see how the momentum started then gradually built up for Ryan.

The first article that really projected Ryan was the one where the Philadelphia blogger broke down his game from footwork to throwing technique.

It pointed out comparable's to Brady and other QB's and was the first to ponder the idea of Ryan being a legit draft pick.

The guy provided game tapes and concluded Nassib might not be a bad fit for Philly.

It seems like everything took off from there.

I don't know if that blogger was a friend, relative or agent;)but whoever he was, Ryan should send him a thank you note.:)

Here it is:

Future Eagles Watch: Ryan Nassib

This has probably already been posted:

Eagles meet with Syracuse's Ryan Nassib and other Senior Bowl quarterbacks

Pugh's arm length is now in question. Some projecting him as a guard now. I follow USC closely and hard to gauge Barkley. The injury concerns are now a factor but I never thought he had a great arm. He has some amazing touch and accuracy at times but not a big or strong arm, imo.

I always thought Ryan had enough talent to get a shot. 1st or 2nd round? No I never thought that. Honestly the lack of quality QB's in this draft should not elevate the available QB's if the draft gurus have a brain. If a guy is a 4th round type QB but is the best there is, that does not mean you should draft him in the 1st or 2nd round. I think that will put undue pressure on a young QB that he really doesn't need. Ryan would be best off if he were selected by a team with a veteran QB and quality QB coach that could prepare him to start in 2-3 years. The physical skills are there, the mental aspect is there. Being a professional QB for a couple years could help him with the consistency part. IMO Buffalo would not be a great place for Ryan to go. Certainly there are short term advantages but I think long term he's better off elsewhere.

That's what gets me, too. McShay is the guy who loved Ryan all year, but NOW he's noticing these things? Makes you wonder if he ever actually watched us play or was basing his earlier assessment of Ryan on stats primarily.

That's what gets me, too. McShay is the guy who loved Ryan all year, but NOW he's noticing these things? Makes you wonder if he ever actually watched us play or was basing his earlier assessment of Ryan on stats primarily.
McShay loved him as an early rounds guy who could carve out a career. Not a 1st rounder with franchise quarterback potential.

"Nassib struggling to throw vertically? That sounds a lot like Buffalo's last quarterback: Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Arm strength isn't everything. But the Bills do need a quarterback who can make all the throws, particularly in the swirling winds and inclement winter weather in Buffalo. The team has gone through several years of Fitzpatrick, who was very limited in what he can do."

Maybe it's just me but I never thought Nassib had a weak arm. In fact, I think it's a strong arm.

Doug would have to be high from sniffing bologna and Gatorade fumes to pick Ryan at #9. Now, if you could get him in round 2, I think it makes a bit more sense.

Who knows. The combine isn't until mid February. He's got a month to polish up his skills. His measurements are solid. There is alot of positive video of him out there. Couple that with a good combine outing and maybe he does become a 1st or early 2nd rounder...

There are alot of desperate teams out there looking for a servicable QB. There are even more teams looking for a servicable replacement for an aging star.

He's going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. And everything I've read about his senior bowl has been that he's been the best QB with the North squad by a good amount.

He has a strong arm. He just doesn't yet know how to throw a deep ball. There's a difference, and given how much he's improved the past couple years, how driven he is, and how easily he picks things up, I think there's a pretty good chance that his deep ball will improve. I think he'll end up being one of the first 3 QBs taken.