MCW #14 on the latest SI NBA Draft Big Board | Syracusefan.com

MCW #14 on the latest SI NBA Draft Big Board

MyMeloMyMan

All Conference
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...shabazz-muhammad/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Team executives continue to be enamored with Carter-Williams' size and playmaking: He leads the NCAA in assists with 10.1 per game. "You can tell the vision is there," says an Eastern Conference exec. "He breaks down defense, he makes great passes. The big thing for me is I don't see a change of direction move. He's a terrific pick-and-roll player but when I see a guy who isn't real quick when he changes direction, it scares me a little for the next level."

Interesting point about him being slow once he changes direction. I wonder if not having the great fast twitch reaction will hurt him.

I've never thought he was overly quick nor does he have good straight line speed (at least for a PG). I think if I was a scout I would be concerned about his handle, I think it's average and since he'll be 3 or 4 inches taller than most PGs at the next level it could make for an easy steal.

Tall guards never look as quick as shorter guards because there strides are longer. It's does matter if your first isn't as quick as the next guy if you go 3ft further on that same step because the result will be the same. His handle is fine there is almost no pressing in the NBA largely because the skill level of NBA fowards doesn't allow it. Pressing allows for too many open looks by simply passing it a head. His change of direction is a interesting point that I will be looking going forward, but I don't believe it will be an issue since I don't see him as a elite scorer or an Iso guy. Everyone doesn't need to be able to get there own shot some guys need to be able to play with a guy how can get his own shot. (see knicks)

Tall guards never look as quick as shorter guards because there strides are longer. It's does matter if your first isn't as quick as the next guy if you go 3ft further on that same step because the result will be the same. His handle is fine there is almost no pressing in the NBA largely because the skill level of NBA fowards doesn't allow it. Pressing allows for too many open looks by simply passing it a head. His change of direction is a interesting point that I will be looking going forward, but I don't believe it will be an issue since I don't see him as a elite scorer or an Iso guy. Everyone doesn't need to be able to get there own shot some guys need to be able to play with a guy how can get his own shot. (see knicks)
Good point about the stride length, I think MCW has a quick first step, but other than that I don't think he's overly quick, you might be right about his height throws me off.

I wasn't really talking about the press. It's more in the halfcourt and penetration, if you have a 6'2 PG in your grill, it'll be hard to dribble infront of him when you're 4 inches taller; and I don't think I've seen a PG who dribbles it off their own foot so much.

How long will it take to become competent from 23' 9"?

Good point about the stride length, I think MCW has a quick first step, but other than that I don't think he's overly quick, you might be right about his height throws me off.

I wasn't really talking about the press. It's more in the halfcourt and penetration, if you have a 6'2 PG in your grill, it'll be hard to dribble infront of him when you're 4 inches taller; and I don't think I've seen a PG who dribbles it off their own foot so much.

The dibbling off his foot thing is only on the drive and its from trying to keep the ball close to is body so it doesn't get stolen. It happens to everyone but he does do it a little too much. Brandon might do it more he just doesn't drive as much so it's not as noticeable. Guys won't get that close to him because they don't want to make it easier for him to drive pass them. Guys IMO are going to back off of him and make him prove he can shoot. I think he is going to struggle with the NBA 3pt line big time. On a side note James 46% 3pt shooting percentage will translate very well because almost all of his 3s would be behind the NBA line too.

The dibbling off his foot thing is only on the drive and its from trying to keep the ball close to is body so it doesn't get stolen. It happens to everyone but he does do it a little too much. Brandon might do it more he just doesn't drive as much so it's not as noticeable. Guys won't get that close to him because they don't want to make it easier for him to drive pass them. Guys IMO are going to back off of him and make him prove he can shoot. I think he is going to struggle with the NBA 3pt line big time. On a side note James 46% 3pt shooting percentage will translate very well because almost all of his 3s would be behind the NBA line too.
I wonder when he gets to the NBA if teams will push up on him, since the guards there are a lot quicker and will be able to stick with him, obviously his biggest advantage is he'll be able to see over every PG that guards him. Yeah agreed about him shooting 3s in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be to where Rondo is at as far as people playing a few feet off him (obviously he's not as quick as Rondo anyway), but it's not a strength right now.

I love James in the NBA. Excellent spot up shooter, moves well without the ball, athletic, runs the break well, can block shots, etc. I just hope somoeone gives him a shot. Although I'd imagine there will always be a spot in the NBA for a 6'8 athlete who can shoot 3s.

I wonder when he gets to the NBA if teams will push up on him, since the guards there are a lot quicker and will be able to stick with him, obviously his biggest advantage is he'll be able to see over every PG that guards him. Yeah agreed about him shooting 3s in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be to where Rondo is at as far as people playing a few feet off him (obviously he's not as quick as Rondo anyway), but it's not a strength right now.

I love James in the NBA. Excellent spot up shooter, moves well without the ball, athletic, runs the break well, can block shots, etc. I just hope somoeone gives him a shot. Although I'd imagine there will always be a spot in the NBA for a 6'8 athlete who can shoot 3s.

James is a perfect role player in the NBA.

If a team presses out on MCW he will just move the ball. But he is never going to be the best scorer on the floor IMO so why press up on him? If you sag back now that defender can help out against other players who are better scorers. The defense will want MCW to shoot so I'm pretty sure sagging of him is the way to go. It helps your team defense way more than pushing up on him.

Mikes only a sophmore point guard in his first year of true college ball. AND he has to run a entire team without a backup point. I seriously doubt being at tip top physical condition and shooting skills have been his focal point. Thats saying ALOT!! :D

I love James but hes going to have a tougher time finding a open shot in the NBA then he has this year. He certainly can shoot it all over the floor though. Someone like Wes Johnson or DNIC can shoot the three much easier with alittle pressure because they could shoot off a few bounces and they have had a tough time in the NBA. On the plus side though Southerland has a inch on them.

Mikes only a sophmore point guard in his first year of true college ball. AND he has to run a entire team without a backup point. I seriously doubt being at tip top physical condition and shooting skills have been his focal point. Thats saying ALOT!! :D

I love James but hes going to have a tougher time finding a open shot in the NBA then he has this year. He certainly can shoot it all over the floor though. Someone like Wes Johnson or DNIC can shoot the three much easier with alittle pressure because they could shoot off a few bounces and they have had a tough time in the NBA. On the plus side though Southerland has a inch on them.

JS also seems to do a lot of role-player type things - plays good D, rebounds, doubles on D. A taller Bruce Bowen, though Bowen was a better defender. Or a smaller Robert Horry. And I think he has a quicker release than Wes or DNic. The NBA is more of a transition game, and that will help JS. It may require a year in the NBDL, but that is a small price to pay for him.

JS also seems to do a lot of role-player type things - plays good D, rebounds, doubles on D. A taller Bruce Bowen, though Bowen was a better defender. Or a smaller Robert Horry. And I think he has a quicker release than Wes or DNic. The NBA is more of a transition game, and that will help JS. It may require a year in the NBDL, but that is a small price to pay for him.

Exactly and people around need to remember both Wes and Dnic were drafted. Dnic is not as athletic as James and Wes so that has hurt him, but James will get drafted. I'm guessing towards the end of the first round or early second.

Exactly and people around need to remember both Wes and Dnic were drafted. Dnic is not as athletic as James and Wes so that has hurt him, but James will get drafted. I'm guessing towards the end of the first round or early second.

If James is drafted I think it's going to be on his outside shooting ability. The other things he does are nice, but he's not doing them at a pro level. Assuming that is the case I'd like to see James be able to get hit his shot consistently with a hand in his face or someone in his grill before I would spend a draft pick on him as a shooter. I don't think he is as good a shooter as Rautins was by his senior year and he hasn't managed to create a spot for himself yet.

MCW has great court vision and is a special talent. He makes all of his teamates better and is a natural leader. I was worried about MCW's handle before the season started but he has proved to be a competant ball handler. Chauncey Billups was one of the best I ever saw as a big point guard at using his body to shield the ball against quicker defenders. MCW will pick-up these little tricks that will allow him to use his size to become a great point guard. You can teach shooting, defensive footwork and ball handling...you can't teach 6''6'. The kid is a lottery pick and will be our best pro since Carmello.

MCW has great court vision and is a special talent. He makes all of his teamates better and is a natural leader. I was worried about MCW's handle before the season started but he has proved to be a competant ball handler. Chauncey Billups was one of the best I ever saw as a big point guard at using his body to shield the ball against quicker defenders. MCW will pick-up these little tricks that will allow him to use his size to become a great point guard. You can teach shooting, defensive footwork and ball handling...you can't teach 6''6'. The kid is a lottery pick and will be our best pro since Carmello.

I would agree if he learns to shoot, and he still has to prove he can handle Top-25 type pressure (GTown, Louisville, Pitt, Cinci, ND). As is, I don't see him starting on an NBA playoff team. More like a backup PG on a marginal team (which is a very good living, mind you), unless he learns to score without turning it over. Big jump from playing pre-season college cupcakes to starring in the NBA.

If James is drafted I think it's going to be on his outside shooting ability. The other things he does are nice, but he's not doing them at a pro level. Assuming that is the case I'd like to see James be able to get hit his shot consistently with a hand in his face or someone in his grill before I would spend a draft pick on him as a shooter. I don't think he is as good a shooter as Rautins was by his senior year and he hasn't managed to create a spot for himself yet.

If Rautins was 6'8" he would be in the NBA. I don't see James as a star but as a role player who is expected to hit open shots or pass the ball and play defense that is it.

I can't see James as a late 1st round pick at this point. Obviously the potential is there and I'm sure he's on many radars, but he's been way too inconsistent to warrant a pick that high. But it all it would take to get there is a solid Big East season, and for him to be very good in the tournament.

If james even gets drafted he will be extremely lucky. He will not sniff the first round

If james even gets drafted he will be extremely lucky. He will not sniff the first round

Agree. I don't see him as an nba player.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

clearly not a deep ball threat but i don't really recall magic johnson as being lights out either. and magic was smart enuf to realise this limitation and not take many.

I think how MCW does against the Louisville pressure of Siva and Smith, two small super quick guards that apply great pressure on the ball, will tell scouts a lot. I could see teams playing MCW at the point with a smaller quick combo guard off the ball, then cross matching and having MCW guard opposing teams 2's and the smaller combo guarding the point. I think MCW might struggle to keep some of those small quick pg's in front of him otherwise. It's funny because in high school he was a good shooter/scorer, so I wonder if he can find that part of his game again at the next level, then potentially be a guy that can play either on the ball or off the ball and give teams another geat ball handler and passer. Either way I think he has a ton of potential.

I can't see James as a late 1st round pick at this point. Obviously the potential is there and I'm sure he's on many radars, but he's been way too inconsistent to warrant a pick that high. But it all it would take to get there is a solid Big East season, and for him to be very good in the tournament.

I think the consistency is a problem for him because we're talking about his one strength being his shot and his shot has been inconsistent. Being inconsistent in general doesn't really matter for some (see Waiters).

I think the consistency is a problem for him because we're talking about his one strength being his shot and his shot has been inconsistent. Being inconsistent in general doesn't really matter for some (see Waiters).

When you are shooting 36% from the field...it certainly starts to matter to the folks who run your team :)

When you are shooting 36% from the field...it certainly starts to matter to the folks who run your team :)

Yeah, I was more referring to his inconsistency last year and the fact that he still went top 5 lol.

Unfortunately, he's becoming consistent in a bad way.

Yeah, I was more referring to his inconsistency last year and the fact that he still went top 5 lol.

Unfortunately, he's becoming consistent in a bad way.

It is amazing that he went that high, imo. Luckily, he is in a small market where he can work out the kinks. Cleveland seems pretty apathetic about that team. 17 mins of dion is better than 32 mins of dion right now. He needs to get in better shape to run 30

It is the weakest draft in a decade and if James finishes about 40% from 3 he will get drafted IMO. Wes went 4th and Dnic went 53rd James is in the middle somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom