MCW and his jumpshot... | Syracusefan.com

MCW and his jumpshot...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
I think alot of people have dismissed the idea of him being a great jumpshooter but forget what he did in High School. The guy even took stepback three pointers off the dribble.

But what I really look forward to is hes a sophmore now and will show his second gear. He could have the potential to take over a game like Derrick Rose, or even better then Johnny Flynn's late season sophmore season. Im not saying he will be like that but I am saying the potential is there. And it won't be a stretch. More then it was for Johnny's or Dion's sophmore year preseason. Or even Gerrys Senior season. He just has to realize it.

Mike seriously has a higher ceiling then Dion at this point IMO. That is until Dion developes a unconscience jumper at which point he might have as high of a ceiling as MCW's. I think Mike could have been one of the top 5 passers in college baskebtall last year not in terms of turnovers or numbers. But, in accuracy, and court vision with his height. IMO He made the pass of the year for us against a cupcake early on. MCW was throwing rockets into the baseline even before 5th year Scoop Jardine was last year. I wouldn't be surprised if MCW taught Scoop that.

Just wanted to post this video as a good luck reminder to get you excited of his jumpshot though.

Almost all of his bad misses last year were long. He was clearly amped up when he was in the game. When he settles down he is going to be deadly, especially since he will be a dual-threat to shoot/penetrate. Also important to mention ... being ~6'5'' with long arms and a high release point ... and shooting over guards much smaller than him... watch out. What that does, also, is force defenders to play him even tighter to be able to contest shots ... which makes it easier to take them off the dribble. The kid just has all the intangible working in his favor.

With MCW settling into his shot and Cooney on the perimeter ... to go along with a beefed up Rak and DC2 the rebound guru ... we will be much much improved in the two areas that were our biggest weaknesses last year.

I think alot of people have dismissed the idea of him being a great jumpshooter but forget what he did in High School. The guy even took stepback three pointers off the dribble.

I don't think a lot of people on here are dismissing that idea. MCW had some great moments shooting the three last year even though he saw limited and sporadic playing time. I expect him to be a solid and dangerous jump shooter from day one. When Southerland is on the floor with any of our three guards, opponents will have three legitimate 3-point threats to contend with. Should be fun to watch.

MCW is a really really really good defender as well.

Out of High School I think he has had the most potential of any cuse player we have had on our roster since Carmelo Anthony. He has it all minus the strength which he might not need. He could be a taller flynn like mold with better passing and shooting in the longrun.
Fab Melo is the only one who I think was close, and that was because he was still really really raw.

Dion didn't have the shot but has developed it some (he shot 37 from three as a soph). Greene lacked alot of the inside game and rebounding. Flynn was smaller and lacked a superior jumper. Devendorf lacked the defense bigtime or he could have been drafted, and he was smaller for a SG. Paul Harris lacked the dribble isolation, jumpshot and the size to be a true 2, 3 or 4.
Rak lacked the offense coming in but that looks like it could change.Hes still undersized some for a Center, but Jacked and was a rediculous jumper. Dajuan lacks the size to be a center but could actually be a PF with some SF dribbling abilities over time.

This easily could be his last year at the Cuse, so I am getting my hopes way up. Would love to see him own this team, and he is good enough to lead on both ends.

Also important to mention ... being ~6'5'' with long arms and a high release point ... and shooting over guards much smaller than him... watch out. What that does, also, is force defenders to play him even tighter to be able to contest shots ... which makes it easier to take them off the dribble. The kid just has all the intangible working in his favor.

Minor quibble, but you are actually talking about his "tangible" talents. Height, shooting, ability to dribble... Those are things we can measure.

Intangibles are things you can't measure, and they are usually attributed to guys who otherwise suck ;)

Not saying MCW doesn't have those intangibles, leadership, floor awareness, intensity, hard work, etc.

I have high hopes for MCW, but as Seinfeld would say, "He's a high dribbler." I hope he has cured that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom