MCW bashing | Syracusefan.com

MCW bashing

mark79

Doughnut connoisseur
There is an awful lot of MCW bashing going on around here. He is leading the nation in assists and close in steals. He made a foolish mistake and then he had a bad game which made him upset. Anyone ever have a week or two like that? Life throws you those once in awhile. He will bounce back.

PS - happy holidays to all and may all your Christmases be orange.

Great post. I felt like some of the early hype was a little too much, now people have swung in the complete opposit direction. He want from the best PG ever to we want scoop back between 12 and 2 on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure we're allowed to discuss players' shortcomings as well as achievements here. You'll have to point out the bashing to me. Everything I've read in the last few days re: MCW has been accurate.

May all your Christmases toughen up and rebound better.

While I would have to agree that some of the posts were outright bashing, many of us were just pointing out the shortside of MCWs game against Temple. Many missed free throws from a decent free throw shooter; 3-17 from the field and a lack of control on his drives to the basket, some leading to turnovers----all items for legitimate discussion.

Most worrisome to me about his game was the seemingly loss of team play, if not desperation, in the second half. Some say he needed to take on things by himself, but a bad shot, as I read today somewhere, is just an unrecorded turnover.

I think he will turn things around, but that does not mean he can't be criticized for his shortcomings in the last game.

There is an awful lot of MCW bashing going on around here. He is leading the nation in assists and close in steals. He made a foolish mistake and then he had a bad game which made him upset. Anyone ever have a week or two like that? Life throws you those once in awhile. He will bounce back.

I think there are two separate issues here.

1. The guy had a miserable game. It fairly raises questions about his ability as a PG to adapt to a different defense and to hit big shots.
He's got the rest of the season to learn from it and show people what he can do. The best players have awful games.

2.Nothing personal, people use that expression all the time for alleged criminal activity. But I can't stand when people say someone's pre-meditated, intentional wrongdoing is a "mistake."

A "mistake" is when I'm driving somewhere, I forget the route and make a left turn instead of a right turn. It wasn't intentional. I thought I was supposed to turn left. I was mistaken.

MCW's actions at L & T were pre-meditated and intentional. And he was permitted to simply buy his way out of trouble because he seems to have "misunderstood" that he was supposed to pay for the items.

Great post. I felt like some of the early hype was a little too much, now people have swung in the complete opposit direction. He want from the best PG ever to we want scoop back between 12 and 2 on Saturday.

I was going to bump the "MCW is the best PG since Magic Johnson post" or the "MCW should have started over Scoop post last year" post last night to point out this very same thing but most people here wouldn't get it anyway.

he had one bad game after someone finally made an adjustment against him. in my opinion he did exactly what he needed to do against the adjustment, he attacked the rim. he wasn't throwing up 3s, he was taking shots from the lane. hell he got to the line 15 times, the only problem was he didn't hit anything all day. i'm chalking up to one bad game. i have a feeling if they play him the same he will be much more effective. everyone needs to relax, it's not like he looks completely lost and helpless with no hope in sight like Cooney, and DC2. He is a great player, and is going to respond in a big way

I think many people are down on MCW because of some of the non game stuff and it exasperates things where his bad game is then even worse.

He pretty much did it to himself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

that's true as well. makes it much easier to pull for a good kid.

A "foolish mistake" is leaving the gate open and the dog gets out or, at worst, a speeding ticket.

I feel no need to crucify the guy, but stealing from a store is not a "foolish mistake" by any stretch of the imagination... Especially when you're a public figure with all eyes on you to begin with and literally everything to lose.

So no, I've never had a week or two like that - but only because I'm not such an idiot as to risk everything I have for a measly $120 worth of clothing.

Malcom Cater got caught stealing too... Were his actions a "foolish mistake" too?

No, and that's the point.

Too bad Ryan Nassib didn't offer to let Cater pay him $500 so it'd all go away. ;)

And don't try to justify one act of theft versus another... Carter-Williams and Cater were BOTH caught stealing.

Only one has truly been "crucified" by coaches, fans and press alike and the other given every excuse in the book so this year's Orange squad doesn't crap out minus one of its top players like the Arinze and Fab Melo versions did.

I don't feel the need to crucify MCW, but to pretend it was nothing but a "foolish mistake" only gives the proverbial green light to other players to emulate the same selfish, mornonic behavior.

No worries, this is a Syracuse board, we still have people who think Scoop was an awful player and person. It's to be expected.

That it costs $120, just like the pilfered items?

Yes and shoplifting is a crime of poverty (unless he is a kleptomaniac) and his jersey is being sold for the same dollar amount that he feels the need to steal for. I am an not justifying his actions but economics of the situation are undeniable.

Yes and shoplifting is a crime of poverty (unless he is a kleptomaniac) and his jersey is being sold for the same dollar amount that he feels the need to steal for. I am an not justifying his actions but economics of the situation are undeniable.
Shoplifting isn't a crime of poverty. It's a crime of greed.

Shoplifting isn't a crime of poverty. It's a crime of greed.

Maybe but we are all guilty of greed in one form or another. The demise of the BE was about greed. MCW should be able to afford to be greedy everyone making money off of his skill can afford it.

that's true as well. makes it much easier to pull for a good kid.

Then they are free to take the year off or find a second team to root for, becuase mcw is KEY to this team in march.

A kid in MCW's position who shoplifts needs some kind of help, and I'm pretty sure SU will work to provide that help. Our society prefers it that way, and I happen to agree.

Along with the help MCW needs to face the consequences of his actions which I am sure he will. Even so, rehabilitation is the norm over punishment under the full effect of the law. If every kid MCW's age was prosecuted aggressively for shoplifting we would need to build a lot more jail space.

In my mind MCW's behavior here was self-destructive as much as anything. I hope he can figure that out and learn to cope better with the reasons for it.

I think there are two separate issues here.

1. The guy had a miserable game. It fairly raises questions about his ability as a PG to adapt to a different defense and to hit big shots.
He's got the rest of the season to learn from it and show people what he can do. The best players have awful games.

2.Nothing personal, people use that expression all the time for alleged criminal activity. But I can't stand when people say someone's pre-meditated, intentional wrongdoing is a "mistake."

A "mistake" is when I'm driving somewhere, I forget the route and make a left turn instead of a right turn. It wasn't intentional. I thought I was supposed to turn left. I was mistaken.

MCW's actions at L & T were pre-meditated and intentional. And he was permitted to simply buy his way out of trouble because he seems to have "misunderstood" that he was supposed to pay for the items.

Keeping it real...good post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom