MCW has been reading too many headlines | Syracusefan.com

MCW has been reading too many headlines

Point guards sometimes need to penetrate to create and today people did a bad job moving off of the ball. If you recognize the last 9 games a lot of his assists were off of dribble penetration. But you are right I am sure him shoplifting contributed to it. That is expert analysis there.

There have been games, and there will be more, when MCW almost single-handedly wins it for us. Today was the opposite but I'm trying not to overreact but it was the selfishness that bothered me more than anything. Not only did he not have many assists in the second half, he barely had any passes. Really, really awful game for him. It also made our lack of depth in the backcourt cause for concern. The reality is that we're not going to beat good teams when MCW plays poorly. Let's just hope it doesn't happen often.

Plenty of things to complain about. Yes, MCW having a really bad game is the biggest.

Don't forget team-wide problems with rebounding, stopping dribble penetration, getting too far from the basket on defense, not moving on offense.

There have been games, and there will be more, when MCW almost single-handedly wins it for us. Today was the opposite but I'm trying not to overreact but it was the selfishness that bothered me more than anything. Not only did he not have many assists in the second half, he barely had any passes. Really, really awful game for him. It also made our lack of depth in the backcourt cause for concern. The reality is that we're not going to beat good teams when MCW plays poorly. Let's just hope it doesn't happen often.
We didn't get hurt when Cooney came in.

At the end of the day, this was a one possession game basically. MCW and Southerland had poor games for themselves. Fair and Triche had good games for themselves. Nobody else really stepped up to help. MCW is still the only guy on the team that can really make anything happen consistently. We need MCW playing at a high level for this team to make a run. We can survive a game here and there where he doesn't play great, but only if other things go right. Today, our rotations by the back 3 were horrific in the 2nd half, our big men got destroyed on the boards by Anthony Lee in the 2nd half, and we seemingly could not get any loose balls. A lot of things went against us, and it was a one possession game to a solid team.

Point guards sometimes need to penetrate to create and today people did a bad job moving off of the ball. If you recognize the last 9 games a lot of his assists were off of dribble penetration. But you are right I am sure him shoplifting contributed to it. That is expert analysis there.
Say what you want about why he didn't have assists. IMO it had more to do with temple giving him space and guarding the pass, but maybe people weren't moving off the ball either. But you're nuts if you discount the fact that that incident (and the lack of consequences) contributed to his air of invincibility

To be fair, MCW was getting to the rim at will, he just couldn't finish. Wyatt was taking much wilder shots in the 1st half I thought than MCW was all game, but Wyatt was finishing.

I wish MCW would have looked for Triche, Fair and Southerland (where was he?) more down the stretch though.

To be fair, MCW was getting to the rim at will, he just couldn't finish. Wyatt was taking much wilder shots in the 1st half I thought than MCW was all game, but Wyatt was finishing.

I wish MCW would have looked for Triche, Fair and Southerland (where was he?) more down the stretch though.

This. I mean, he wasn't finishing at all, but he was getting in. It seemed a bit reckless at times, but the offense was once again pretty stagnant.

So you are saying he was 3-16 because he was forced to take shots because nobody was moving to get open?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No i am saying that Mcw didn't go out there it an air of invincibility. The OP insinuated that MCW played in a way that was outside of himself. My argument I to he p payed similar to games past, but he opportunity to dish the ball away werent as easy.

And to answer ROC I do not think that the theft situation or lack of basketball related repercussion had a GD thing to o with today's game

You are correct, lacking of finishing by almost everyone except CJ & Triche cost us dearly. Can't remember so many missed bunnies & missed put-backs in a long time.

My on the court issue with MCW (other than FT's) is that he wasn't even looking for his teammates, particularly in the second half. I'm reading and hearing a lot of hosannas for Temple and their defensive strategy, but I'm not buying it. MCW's "I'm gonna be the man now" game plan is what won them the game. More disturbing is that he has become very unlikable in two short weeks. He's heading into Dion as a frosh territory in both attitude and behavior.

If you can take it to the hoop, go for it. His shots were not wild. Drawing fouls usually is as good as making a basket. It was not his driving or lack of second half assists that cost us. It was his foul shooting.

In addition, we were hurt by rebounding. Sometimes the ball does not bounce your way, particularly when the other team is throwing up threes. We should have controlled the boards.

The game should not have been tight but it was and that made us vulnerable to bad calls by the refs at the end.

Unlike others, this loss bothers me. We will not get a true measure until we play the Ville.

My biggest concern is MCW will worry more about his draft stock and continue his gotta get mine style of play he showed vs. Temple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom