MCW on the move? | Syracusefan.com

MCW on the move?

longislandcuse

Living Legend
"I've heard a lot of rumblings from GMs that Carter-Williams is available. There are some in ownership and in the front office, though not all, that don't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of chatter that direction before the draft and in the past few weeks I know several teams have had exploratory discussions with the Sixers. I think the challenge right now is that the Sixers will want a lot in return and MCW's play, to date this season, hasn't warranted multiple first round picks for him. That makes him tough to deal." -Chad Ford

The 76ers know you eventually have to win games, correct? Stockpiling draft picks doesn't get you any trophies.

Further down in his chat that was posted on ESPN.com, he brings up the 76ers dissatisfaction with Noel. Maybe they can package Noel, Embiid and their lottery pick this year for 5 more picks next year. Then, along with your 2 picks from MCW you can trade those 7 2016 draft picks for 10 2017 picks. #76ers

"I've heard a lot of rumblings from GMs that Carter-Williams is available. There are some in ownership and in the front office, though not all, that don't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of chatter that direction before the draft and in the past few weeks I know several teams have had exploratory discussions with the Sixers. I think the challenge right now is that the Sixers will want a lot in return and MCW's play, to date this season, hasn't warranted multiple first round picks for him. That makes him tough to deal." -Chad Ford

The 76ers know you eventually have to win games, correct? Stockpiling draft picks doesn't get you any trophies.

Further down in his chat that was posted on ESPN.com, he brings up the 76ers dissatisfaction with Noel. Maybe they can package Noel, Embiid and their lottery pick this year for 5 more picks next year. Then, along with your 2 picks from MCW you can trade those 7 2016 draft picks for 10 2017 picks. #76ers

#76draftpicks

They were shopping him before the draft last summer. Not a good market for PG's, so I'd be shocked if he was dealt.

It's tough to win in the NBA. It's so different than CBB.

I don't get it. You're not going to get a whole lot better out of the #11 pick in the draft.

What happened to that pg 76ers drafted in first round same year as mcw?

The Sixers currently have a unique PG with freakish size, above average athleticism, great defense, the rebounding of a SF, the ability to average 7 assists on a team with no shot makers, and - above all - youth.

The only knocks on him are his poor shooting efficiency and slightly high turnover numbers, both of which can only improve as you put more talent around the guy.

I'd say the Sixers are more mismanaged than the Knicks if they decide to move MCW.

At this point if I'm the GM I do it up and trade him...permanent rebuild with endless draft picks stockpiled. Just gotta keep preaching patience, and then sooner or later you're bound to get it right. Sometime around 2022 is when it hits.

Something isn't right with the ownership of the Sixers and hopefully Adam Silver will do something about it. Two or three years in a row of this garbage is enough.

I don't get it. You're not going to get a whole lot better out of the #11 pick in the draft.
I don't get it either. I mean he's a nightly triple double threat. Nightly!

I have a tough time evaluating him. He's on such a bad team. Then again, for his career he's below 40% from the field and his true shooting% is 46.8. Terrible numbers. But the flip side is put some legit NBA players around him and see what happens.

I have a tough time evaluating him. He's on such a bad team. Then again, for his career he's below 40% from the field and his true shooting% is 46.8. Terrible numbers. But the flip side is put some legit NBA players around him and see what happens.
Rajon Rondo is an awful shooter but has insane court vision and played good defense when he had good players around him. Put MCW on a team with some talent and I think he would be a monster.

I don't get it either. I mean he's a nightly triple double threat. Nightly!

The worst teams in the league put up 85-90% of the counting stats of the best team in league. What differentiates teams are things like shooting efficiency, turnover margin, offensive rebounding, 2 of which MCW is not good at (although exaggereated by who he has to play with). So evaluating a player solely on counting stats is a bit flawed.

That being said I think MCW can be a long term solution for the sixers but he is a role type starter on a good team, not one of the stars. He will likely never be efficient enough to be a top scorer for a top level team... but that is fine, as he brings other things. His PPG need to go way down on a better team. His shooting and turnover will improve once he is asked to do less, and he matures. Right now somebody has to take the shots for the Sixers... somebody has to force things.

I think alot will also depend if Mudiay is there man, and if they assess he has a higher ceiling than MCW, or if they can complement each other. They are extremely weak at the 2/3 so getting the best assets, and then moving them to fill holes is actually good team management.

Rajon Rondo is an awful shooter but has insane court vision and played good defense when he had good players around him. Put MCW on a team with some talent and I think he would be a monster.

That's a good comparison as a high ceiling. He may not quite reach that level, but could get very close.

But imagine Rondo running the show on a team like the Sixers in his second year. He would run into the same problem -- not a scorer, asked to score and asked to force things as well.

Your not going to get better at #11.

But the best picks in this draft are bigs and Mudiay I believe (although i have not looked at the recent draft board). 2 things the Sixers already have. At some point you need to address the 2/3. And one of the ways is to compile draft picks from excess players and trade them for a younger 2/3 (with your free cap space).

I don't know how anyone can evaluate him on that team. He's asked to do things he shouldn't because there are holes everywhere. His value will drop and then he'll get picked up by a team on the rise with some real players and he'll become a key cog. Pelicans?

Something isn't right with the ownership of the Sixers and hopefully Adam Silver will do something about it. Two or three years in a row of this garbage is enough.

It's only the second year they are doing this and they have compiled assets fairly quickly.

Compiling assets and drafting the players is the easy thing in my view. The next step is fitting them into a team, and knowing when to push a little harder for that veteran or two with those young assets. Many of these new world GM's that like to build assets, struggle with that second part.

It's only the second year they are doing this and they have compiled assets fairly quickly.

Compiling assets and drafting the players is the easy thing in my view. The next step is fitting them into a team, and knowing when to push a little harder for that veteran or two with those young assets. Many of these new world GM's that like to build assets, struggle with that second part.

Agreed, different sport and its not exactly the same, but the Mets seem to be struggling with the second part right now.