MCW Thoughts...... | Syracusefan.com

MCW Thoughts......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Plenty of criticism about how this kid played today, and I share most of it.

However, that being said, if this is to be a FF team there will be games when we need MCW to take over and put the team on his back. He tried to do that today, he simply did not succeed. He is a young player & this was only his second time in the pressure cooker (he made the FTs against Detroit). He will be in the pressure cooker many more times throughout the season. He has the talent to learn and grow from this game. My money is on him for the long run.

Been saying for some time: he's not NBA ready yet.

I agree that he has to be the guy. But when he's 3 for 15 and CJ was as hot as he was, he has to look for others down the stretch; Southerland was virtually invisible today except for a few nice passes in the 1st half (I'm not sure if that was because MCW wasn't looking for him, because Temple was overplaying him, or because JSouth was simply passive). He was getting to the rim, he was just not finishing, I believe that will come with time.

However, that being said, if this is to be a FF team there will be games when we need MCW to take over and put the team on his back. He tried to do that today, he simply did not succeed. He is a young player & this was only his second time in the pressure cooker (he made the FTs against Detroit). He will be in the pressure cooker many more times throughout the season. He has the talent to learn and grow from this game. My money is on him for the long run.
Good post...and I want to agree, BUT...there was no reason for MCW to put the game on his shoulders other than the fact he failed to bring the rest of the team into the game. His shooting was atrocious...the number of shots taken were much too many...he had a hot Triche at the beginning and did not find him again for minutes at a time. He made less than 50% of numerous free throw attempts...but more importantly, he had 4 assts and 3 TOs...if you combine that with his shooting and FT % it may have been one of the worst PG games ever at 'Cuse.
That is not to say that MCW is not a terrific player because he is. But a PG needs to get his other players in the game; he needs to understand his lack of success in a game and needs to pass the ball...he did not do that.
In this game the team shot nearly 45% and had assists on less than 1/3 of their baskets...it was a one against the 5 defenders...I quesiton MCW's mindset since the LT debacle...he was not at his best against Detroit either...my concern is this fleeting because of the LT thing...or is is more so because the last two games were against two better teams that we have played so far this year.

I don't know, he's a Sophomore in his first year of seeing significant minutes, this is something you have to expect. When they shut down Dirty's ability to hoist threes someone else has to step up.

We're not seeing that - BT needs to be that glue guy, and he hasn't been thus far. Two straight possession where the ball goes through his hands in the second half when we're trying to stick close, misses that wide open three where we could have taken the lead back.....I don't know, MCW had a bad game, but we need some more out of the other guards. I really would like to see BT get back on track, he started well today, but seemed to have another game where his second half was pretty subpar.

This was coming for some time. MCW needs a reality check.

Temple did a great job forcing MCW to shot and not distribute. He reacted by trying to score and I had no problem with that but for a few wrf's- but he is in his 11th real game. He was trying to carry the team. He failed but will, I hope, learn from it and do better next time. Worse, is other than CJ and Baye, no one else stepped up.

Michael Carter-Willi@MJCWilliams
Tough loss. This one is on me.

Guess we can stop this MCW best guard since |Pearl BS. Kid is not ready yet, makes me miss scoop. This is the first time I have seen him live against some good competition. He needs to get his but in the gym and weight room. Lacks mental fortitude, the lord a Taylor chants started he fell apart. The positive side is that he can only get better.

The guy has been setting the world on fire and has been regarded by pundits as the most exciting player in the country right now, but one bad free throw shooting game and he's not ready for the NBA and clearly he let the headlines get to him. Good lord.

If he knocks down his free throws at the rate that he USUALLY does (he's actually a pretty good free throw shooter despite what people are saying now), we win the game and MCW finishes with 18 points on 17 FGA (which isn't good, but it's not too bad either), 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 turnovers.

The guy has been setting the world on fire and has been regarded by pundits as the most exciting player in the country right now, but one bad free throw shooting game and he's not ready for the NBA and clearly he let the headlines get to him. Good lord.

If he knocks down his free throws at the rate that he USUALLY does (he's actually a pretty good free throw shooter despite what people are saying now), we win the game and MCW finishes with 18 points on 17 FGA (which isn't good, but it's not too bad either), 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 turnovers.

The FT's are one thing but, its not what people are focusing on when they talk about his bad play. He's considered one of the most exciting players because of his ability to see the floor and be a distributor. You're distributor can't be going 3-17 and taking 25 shots. Not his game and not what makes him so exciting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That sound you hear is that of a lot of brakes being pumped.

The FT's are one thing but, its not what people are focusing on when they talk about his bad play. He's considered one of the most exciting players because of his ability to see the floor and be a distributor. You're distributor can't be going 3-17 and taking 25 shots. Not his game and not what makes him so exciting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's gonna happen from time to time. He's probably our best scorer on top of being out best passer

Edit: in the very least, he's the best on the team in creating his own scoring opportunities.

Mcw is shooting 36 percent on the year. He's a great distributor, but the jury is out on what kind of scorer he is yet.

MCW has a decision to make. He can either be the best point guard we've had since Sherm or he can be the biggest punk we've had since Devendorf. It's up to him. He needs discipline and it will be interesting to see if that comes from Jimmy B. or himself or whether it comes at all.

We may have played better teams in our last 2 outings but clearly something qualitatively has changed on this team since the L&T "misunderstanding." Judgement is the most important quality for a point guard to possess and MCW seems to lack it recently. Bottom line is we shouldn't even be discussing whether our star player attempted to trip a ref after a game. Just the fact that we are is a problem IMO. His lack of control of his emotions which was on display at times in yesterdays game is a serious liability for both him, the team, and the Syracuse Basketball Program. No player is bigger than the Program and he needs to have his attitude straightened out.