MCW's Shooting | Syracusefan.com

MCW's Shooting

iommi

Living Legend
He came in here hyped as being a very solid shooter, capable of lighting it up from the outside. To me, MCW's form has been pretty bad. His shot is very flat, lacks arc and most of the time, rotation. His ball doesn't hit the rim softly; he rarely gets a shooter's roll. His percentage from three is awful and it's not been bad luck. Most of his misses have little chance to go in.

Concern?

Agree, a little flat, but not always. Sometimes he gets it elevated and seems to have good backspin.
But yeah, those line drives can't be terribly accurate.

Concerned that it's just not in his developed repertoire right now, that he should be getting into the lane, kicking out or finishing, which I think he's better at.

his form, especially his follow through, is pretty poor.

And as OP noted, his shot tends to be rather flat.

Apparently the NBA scouts aren't concerned about his shooting. BTW, MCW and Triche have identical 3-pt shooting % of 28.9%. Ouch! You don't see many teams making a deep run with that kind of shooting so be prepared. Just sayin'.

He came in here hyped as being a very solid shooter, capably of lighting it up from the outside. To me, MCW's form has been pretty bad. His shot is very flat, lacks arc and most of the time, rotation. His ball doesn't hit the rim softly; he rarely gets a shooter's roll. His percentage from three is awful and it's not been bad luck. Most of his misses have little chance to go in.

Concern?

In some fairness, my misses never go in either.

;)

I cringe every time he pulls the trigger

I cringe every time our guards shoot a three. At least with BT you have the hope that he makes it and then hits 4 in a row shortly thereafter before going back into a slump. MCW doesn't even seem streaky enough to accomplish that.

Agree, a little flat, but not always. Sometimes he gets it elevated and seems to have good backspin.
But yeah, those line drives can't be terribly accurate.

Concerned that it's just not in his developed repertoire right now, that he should be getting into the lane, kicking out or finishing, which I think he's better at.

He doesn't really finish well in the lane either FWIW.

It isn't just the perimeter shooting with him, it's the shooting, period. His overall shooting % is .375, which is atrocious. From within the arc overall, he's at .421.

In conference play (i.e. vs. better competition), his three point % is at an improved .319 (which still sucks), and his overall shooting % is .360. His shooting from within the arc in conference play? .385. BRUTAL. His star has fallen substantially in ~2 months. Of course, he could improve should he stay beyond this year, but if his play from this season were to be more or less what we could expect from him in the future, I say bring on Tyler Ennis.

He could be on the Jonny Flynn career path if he's not careful.

He could be on the Jonny Flynn career path if he's not careful.

What path is that? $6million+ in career earnings before the age of 23/24? LOL I know what you're saying and I don't disagree, but being a lottery pick who doesn't see a second NBA contract isn't the worst thing in the world. FWIW, I think soph year Flynn was a much better shooter than MCW is now.

For this year, he is what he is at this point. Going forward, there is a lot he needs to work on. Needs to improve his shot. REALLY needs to tighten up his handle (a Bradley Beal-type will absolutely eat MCW's lunch with his current ball skills), and more than anything he's got to develop a little 5-10ft floater. I could see MCW turning himself into a good pro, but it also wouldn't surprise me at all if he is a complete bust.

I don't remember MCW being touted as a shooter. I remember his outside shooting being a bonus to his overall game. I agree he has not been as good a shooter as I expected but not by much. I did exepct him to be a more consistent finisher and to show a bit more mid range game. His 3 point shot reminds me of Moten who was by no means a good 3 pt shooter. I just wish he had more of Poetry's short to mid range game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom